Need to stick a single fan controller outside the case, but where?

nandz

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I recently bought an Enermax Apollish Vegas fan that came with a fan controller with two knobs - one for the LED lights and the other to control the speed. I need to stick it somewhere outside the case with the adhesive sticker included to access the controls - where would be the best place to stick it and how would I go about routing the cable from inside to the outside of the case? The controller looks similar to this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-Controller-Adjusting-Speed-Single/dp/B000292DO0

My case is a Coolermaster 690ii Advanced. Is there somehow I could use a 5.25 bay to access the controls without any drilling/cutting of the mesh?

Appreciate any help.

Solution
if your not into any cutting/drilling,
I would probably say the most practical route is
Route the wires through a pci slot at the rear and stick the unit to the rear of the case (or on the side of the case at the back)
Personally I'd take the controller to bits to minimise it and drill holes for the shafts (the ones the knobs mount onto ) in the case so all you see from the outside is the knobs
Hth,
Moto
if your not into any cutting/drilling,
I would probably say the most practical route is
Route the wires through a pci slot at the rear and stick the unit to the rear of the case (or on the side of the case at the back)
Personally I'd take the controller to bits to minimise it and drill holes for the shafts (the ones the knobs mount onto ) in the case so all you see from the outside is the knobs
Hth,
Moto

Solution

nandz

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

Thanks for the advice Moto,

I didn't want to cut or drill 'cause I ruined a 5.25 front panel - tried to drill a circle for a rocker switch of cold cathode tubes but the panel ended up looking like a victim out of the Saw films.

I'll try to route the wires out the back like you said mate, that sounds like the easiest option. I have a windowed side panel so have to try and get it neat.

Drilling the holes for the shafts seems like the neatest outcome (depending on drilling skills) but I don't want to risk going wrong with it.

Thanks for helping.

nandz

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Ah cheers mate, appreciate that. I'll have a read through the links in your sig and see what I can make of routing the cable out the back through a PCI slot first. Will get back at you if I decide to utilise the Black & Decker again. ;)

Thanks bro :)