Sign in with
Your question

Framerate issues Crysis, dual 5970s

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 6, 2010 1:05:38 AM

Ok i just got a system for my birthday and its sweet and i wanted to play crysis so i installed and started to play and turned on fraps as well but the frame rates seemed low for the system i have. I have a intel 980 3.33ghz, 2 5970s, and 12g ram but my frame rates have gone as low as 15 fps during an explosion and stay around 30-45 in normal fights and it never goes over 60 in the forest though it seems to be capped for some reason. The settings im running it on are everything maxed at 1920 1080 with 8x aa and 16af and vsync. Can you guys tell me if somethings wrong, i know you get these threads all the time but im just worried my computer isnt running at its full potential.
Thanks for any help!!!!
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 1:10:31 AM

sargentchimera said:
Ok i just got a system for my birthday and its sweet and i wanted to play crysis so i installed and started to play and turned on fraps as well but the frame rates seemed low for the system i have. I have a intel 980 3.33ghz, 2 5970s, and 12g ram but my frame rates have gone as low as 15 fps during an explosion and stay around 30-45 in normal fights and it never goes over 60 in the forest though it seems to be capped for some reason. The settings im running it on are everything maxed at 1920 1080 with 8x aa and 16af and vsync. Can you guys tell me if somethings wrong, i know you get these threads all the time but im just worried my computer isnt running at its full potential.
Thanks for any help!!!!

Holy ballz...you lucky b@sturd!!! :pt1cable: 

You have vsync on, which caps your fps at 60 fps.

But for your average fps, there might be something wrong. At 1920x1080 and very-high gfx, you should be getting ~40 fps average with a single 5970 according to the benchmarks. (probably slightly lower with 8x aa). I'd think you should be getting in the 50s-60s with 5970 QuadFire.

But turn off your vsync first. It will definitely increase your max frame rate and probably help with the average fps as well.
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 1:39:56 AM

I too would say to turn off the VSYNC first.. Also check if you are getting higher frame rates with details turned low.. Something like 4xAA and 4xAF.. Actually you can't spot out the detail levels above this.. I believe you can overclock your cpu also upto atleast 3.8GHz.. Not sure but even that i7 980x at stock may be bottlenecking the huge frame buffer of the two 5970's.. Oh BTW, congrats on the build..
Related resources
a c 212 U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 2:22:49 AM

What MoBo ?
May 6, 2010 3:02:37 AM

lol thanks guys, ill try out the no vsync and see if that helps, also its win 7 64 ultimate, i think a remember someone telling me that crysis has problems on 64bit OS but i cant remember for sure. Im sorry i dont know the mobo, if you can tell me where i can find the info ill tell you. Also there is 1 more problem in crysis, there are no rear tires on the jeeps =/ kinda weird but acceptable.
Thanks so far!!
May 6, 2010 3:33:10 AM

OK so i turned off vsync and played through the first level. pretty cool, frame rate definitly went up, even reaching 130 a couple times x), but during fights it still stayed around 30 to 40 andwhen i found the sniper rifle in teh 2nd level the frame rate went as low as 10, 15 fps and STAYED there till i zoomed out!! The lowest fps i saw was when i zoomed the rocket launcher to survey a village from a distance, frame rate went to 5 fps but then went back to 40 a second later. Still during fights the frame rate will dip for a moment and stay around 30-40 till there all dead then raise from any where to 50-100fps. Everythings updated, i checked, and its not a big monitor, 23in, but it just seems strange that during firefights, which is the beef of ANY game, the fps just dips to 30 but if just lowered and didnt do the brief pause thing when something liek an explosion happened id be completely fine with 30fps but its just the little pauses that get me!! I hope theres a solution cause it just feels like its running slower than it should be. Thanks agian so far!!
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 3:45:01 AM

Have you tried playing the 32bit version of Crysis?

Have you tried playing it with AA lowered to x4?
May 6, 2010 3:52:10 AM

k ill try that now, i did lower it to 4x aa for a bit, but something in me jsut kinda died knowing i had to lower settings with what i had so i put it back, but it did help some maybe 2 fps in fights but about 8 fps roaming around but it went from 60 to 70 so it wasnt much of a noticable difference, at least to me, but now with the vsync of roaming around gets anywhere from 80 to 110 fps
May 6, 2010 4:17:23 AM

ok just tried 32bit, kinda mixed bag, my min fps went up 4 to 5 but my average went down to like 30-35 and my high went down to about 80. My lowest fps was when i blew up a gas station and staired into the flames with my rocket launcher sights, went down to about 8fps for a second and then jumped around 15- 35fps while i was aimed in the flames. There were 2 notable freezes lasteing a couple seconds each, 1 when i first started to move and another while fighting but other than that pretty good but they still seem low for the hardware.
May 6, 2010 5:17:05 AM

alright now i tried it with warhead, runs horribly eith 8x aa on, unplayable in fact, but with 4x aa runs very smooth with the only slow down being a little on the beach part in the first level. Still seems liek the computer isnt performing up to par.
May 6, 2010 5:30:24 AM

Try running it on single 5970 instead. The issue is probably due to QuadFire driver.
May 6, 2010 6:03:14 AM

Quad fire has issues sometimes
Turn off Vsync
Start overclocking your CPU, get it to at least 4ghz
My comp runs Crysis at above 40fps with 930 4ghz, 2x5850 OC 4xAA, Very high 1920x1080
Your beast should run far better than mine
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 6:13:30 AM

HKH said:
Quad fire has issues sometimes
Turn off Vsync
Start overclocking your CPU, get it to at least 4ghz
My comp runs Crysis at above 40fps with 930 4ghz, 2x5850 OC 4xAA, Very high 1920x1080
Your beast should run far better than mine

why does everyone always assume some arbitrary 4ghz overclock will solve everything, it's highly doubtful that the cpu is going to be bottlenecking the 5970 in crysis, definitely can see it in other titles, but as you can see there was a point where he got 130fps it's probably not a clock problem. something you might want to check, is to turn off speed-step in the bios, i know that i would occasionally have hanging problems because for some reason the cpu would downclock to power saving states really weird. and like alikum suggested try running just one 5970, and see if frame rates improve, in some benchs tri-quad crossfire sli perform worse in some instances
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 7:12:25 AM

jonnyboyC said:
why does everyone always assume some arbitrary 4ghz overclock will solve everything, it's highly doubtful that the cpu is going to be bottlenecking the 5970 in crysis, definitely can see it in other titles, but as you can see there was a point where he got 130fps it's probably not a clock problem. something you might want to check, is to turn off speed-step in the bios, i know that i would occasionally have hanging problems because for some reason the cpu would downclock to power saving states really weird. and like alikum suggested try running just one 5970, and see if frame rates improve, in some benchs tri-quad crossfire sli perform worse in some instances

in no way am I arguing but it's just plain silly to not overclock with that much gpu power.
2x5970 not making the game fully playable at any resolution especialy 1080P. The beach is the only place I hit below 25 FPS with no AA in warhead I have a 5770
and an e5300 @ 4GHZ I would right away assume this is a driver issue, don't you think ?
Perhaps there is.... an issue with quadfire seems to make sense to me...."The way its ment to be played ?"

what is flipping the multi up 2X going to do ? it will in no way hurt anything..I may be wrong I would almost swear the CPU was a 980x
just from listening to everyone else smack talk I understand crysis OG is not multi core optimized that well
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 3:05:54 PM

Quote:
I can GUARANTEE those 2 5970's are being bottlenecked by that cpu at 3.33ghz. Maybe in this particular game not, but in general yes, definately.

Well, that's what i was saying, in the game it's probably not a problem and atm he's asking about this game, Now if your talking about left for dead, or something then those gpus, are going to be waiting all day on that cpu.

Idk maybe it's just a peve for someone to jump in and say overclock till your eye's bleed, when in this case it's probably not the issue we're looking at, and yes overclocking is definitely hold back that wave of graphics power in a number of titles,
May 7, 2010 2:30:46 AM

Ok i tried the 1 5970 and there was a performance hit, my lowest fps really stayed the same but i never went over 55 fps. I do not know how to overclock and i dont know if it will violate the terms of my waranty if i try, my computer is an alienware btw. I do not know how to access my bios but i will try to turn off speed step.
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2010 4:05:42 AM

when you turn on your computer, there is usually a prompt telling you hit such and such key to access your bios, spedstep should just be a simply on off, no fancy stuff. As for overclocking, cpu can be a bit tricky you would have to read up on it, as for gpu's you can access ati built in overclocking utility CCC catalyst control utility, i believer it's part of the driver, it may not be never had an ati card before, but once you open it's it's as easy as moving a slider bar, you want more performance move the bar, of course you'll reach a point where your cards become unstable and want to back down from that
May 7, 2010 4:52:46 AM

Ok i definitly think i have problems, i looked up a review and the dual 5970s had an avg of 67fps on 1920 1200 with 16aa, wtf is wrong with my computer? Also i went into the control center and i wont let me mess with overdrive, its all grayed out even though the box that says enable overdrive is checked, its still grayed out. I think since my computer was built by alienware, they did something to not let me use this feature or maybe im jsut dead wrong lol but still im worried about my computer. I read on a crysis forum that you should enable catalyst AI, which i had disabled, if u have dual card or 2 cards in 1, ie the 5970s. So i enabled it but i saw no noticable difference in fps. As for speedstep, all ive read about it is good, it seems not to hurt performance but i will try this next time i restart my computer just to see. Also i played the dirt 2 demo with everything maxed and it seemed to be running from 20fps to 50 fps, idk but that seems low.
Thanks so far and please continue to help me!!
May 7, 2010 5:13:27 AM

lol just found the gpu test for crysis(didnt know it had 1) and my avg fps was 37. Definitly low...
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2010 5:50:42 AM

By the way, what is your PSU? It could be underpowered. How many amps are on the 12v rails, what is the combined wattage on the 12v rail, and what brand is it?

Post a picture of HW-monitor with the voltages and temperatures. Also post a pic of GPU-Z with the "max" clockspeeds.

May 7, 2010 6:03:14 AM

sorry Bluescreendeath i really dont know. The computer is the Area 51 alx desk top from alienware and i had no hand in building it so i really dont know sorry. If you could tell me how to get this info i will gladely try. Also i found out overdrive was lacked, lol, but i tried overclocking it to 850 and 1200 but crysis wouldnt play! I went down to 830 1175 and still no, finally ad 820 1150 it played but froze after!! Idk whats up with that but on just cause 2 my average went from 57 to 59 so thats kinda cool.
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2010 6:10:46 AM

you might actually want to call alienware support and ask around, because those are ridiculus lower numbers. some of them are barely better then my gtx 275
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2010 6:22:43 AM

Open the case and check out the power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2010 5:01:16 PM

Quote:
Dude, it's an Alienware.....sold by dell, it's $5100 and it came with 2- 5970's and your questioning whether the power supply is enough......seriously?

I'm pretty sure it's an 1100w psu.

Well obviously something is f-ed up somewhere or the OP wouldn't be getting so low fps.

And even high end power supplies sometimes die. There is no harm in checking to make sure and then using HW-monitor to make sure the 12v rails are up to specs.
May 7, 2010 10:22:28 PM

I tired checking power supply but its all covered up by stuff so i couldnt see it. I guess ill try calling tech support and see if they can help me out. Ticks me off though, the computer is 4 days old and there is already a problem with it!! Seems like they should have caught this or something when they made it.
Thanks for the help so far and if anything else comes to mind please let me know!!!
May 8, 2010 12:31:33 AM

Ok just wondering, how do i find out if my computer is underpowered or not? I was thinking my hub might not be good enough for the job.
May 8, 2010 5:34:06 PM

I tried checking the case, opened up the side and everything, but the psu is covered by something and i dont want to takeanything out to get a look. I will talk with alienware support later today hopefully and report what they say is the problem!
May 8, 2010 10:49:33 PM

OK... after 2 in a half hours on the phone with Alienware i have resolved this issue (hopefully). The issue seems to be 1 of the 5970s has malfunctioned!!! The temp on 1 of the cards is 60c while the other is 80c!!!! Monday or tuesday they will send i tech to my house with the new card and replace it so im very excited and am anxious to test it out. i will report back then if it is working fine or not and ill report the fps in crysis as well.
Thanks for all the support and help you guys have given me, i am very thankful!!!
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2010 12:59:52 PM

Honestly I hope you were speaking to a technician because I can't think of a malfunction that would cause the card to be hotter. Perhaps just poor ventilation.

Did you check the "crossfire" box under CCC? Because you need to do that to enable the second card.

Seriously why did you get such a high end system for video gaming on a tiny screen?
May 9, 2010 7:33:09 PM

Yah i was speaking with a tech, it seems this happens sometimes and 1 card being this much hotter than another is a sign that it has malfunctioned, at least thats what he said. Yes i did have crossfire checked under ccc but there wasnt any cards listed under the crossfire box!! kinda weird but hopefully this fixes it. And i also have this comp hooked up to a 32in LED but i still think i do need a bigger monitor! lol. and i do not think it is poorly vented but the tech whos comeing will tell me or not.
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2010 1:46:12 AM

Hopefully the problem vanishes with a card replacement or whatever way the technician suggests.. Do post back if and when you get the issue solved..
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2010 5:31:31 AM

One card runs hotter than the other is usually normal in an Xfire system.

Heat rises and the top card sucks in the hot air from the bottom card.

Or the bottom card has no headroom (too close to the bottom of the case) and barely gets any air.
May 11, 2010 12:14:15 AM

Well then what do you guys think is wrong?
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 11, 2010 12:31:42 AM

First it takes a modern cpu just to make those most out of cards that came out half a decade ago much less your system but I agree with every one else something isn't right. On the top card try overclocking it in very small increments. Little known fact but you can have differential clocks but being crossfire I can't say for sure out side sli. =/ Also check your profiles, it should either be split frame rendering or alternate frame rendering. ATI's split frame is different than Nvidia's but the AFR is very similar. Had both gotten it right when it came to texture memory performance would be better from the start but nope blame that on directx. Load gpuz or riva tuner while a game is loaded in windowed mode and monitor the temps as well load. If crossfire is scaling properly all 4 gpus should be seeing some load along with temps reflecting that. Drivers we all have to dream on for longer ever more.
May 11, 2010 3:25:47 AM

How are my graphics cards half a decade old? They came out last year...
I looked around in gpu z and found that the vddc current on the 1st and 2nd 5900(out of 4)stays at 1.7a but on the 3rd it says 0.00a for the vddc current and the 4th is all over the place, going as high as 9.6a and never settling on a single number, constantly going from high to low then back agian. Also the vddci current goes as high as 13a on the 4th 5900 and on the first 5900 it stays at 2.5a. I do not know much about graphics cards but this seems strange to me.
Please tell me your thoughts and thanks so far!!
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2010 4:42:42 AM

they are not he is saying that cpu's have issues keeping up with cards from 5 years ago a slight exaggeration
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 11, 2010 12:31:17 PM

spentshells said:
they are not he is saying that cpu's have issues keeping up with cards from 5 years ago a slight exaggeration

Correct and thank you.
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2010 12:46:53 PM

Those numbers are fine.

Under GPU-Z what is the VDDC voltage?

Also what does it say under crossfire? Does it say "Enabled(4 GPUs)"
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 11, 2010 2:25:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
First it takes a modern cpu just to make those most out of cards that came out half a decade ago

Really? 5 years ago the fastest card was a 7800GTX. What modern cpu can't keep up with a 7800GTX? LOL

Any dual core over 2ghz would be just fine.

I have done quite a bit of experimentation so I can make that statement. Second yes you need a modern cpu to make the most of cards made in the last half decade till it is only the card that is the only bottleneck not that one can gain better performance from upgrading to a better card. Not every one upgrades every two years or less except for a lucky few who got the gravy train that is student loans.
May 11, 2010 8:47:53 PM

Ok got card installed, seems like 7fps increase in crysis, not much. I looked under gpuz under each card and it says each is on and in crossfire EXEPT the 3rd gpu which says disconected!!!! How do i turn this gpu on since it seems to be off?
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 11, 2010 9:31:29 PM

sargentchimera said:
Ok got card installed, seems like 7fps increase in crysis, not much. I looked under gpuz under each card and it says each is on and in crossfire EXEPT the 3rd gpu which says disconected!!!! How do i turn this gpu on since it seems to be off?

I think you found your problem, that third gpu must either be non working or the pci-e switch on the card isn't working properly. So you NEED to contact customer support and get a proper replacement. While reading from older posts that customer support agent was right and must have expected this was the issue.
May 11, 2010 10:12:42 PM

These issues sound REAL familiar.

I7 / 4870x2 crossfire underperforming - Benchmark update

I'd be interested in knowing the solution once you have it.

I do have one question thought:

Is the system plugged into a surge protector? And if so, are you sure enough power is being supplied to the system? Your power supply is probably up to par, but you may not be feeding it enough juice.
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 11, 2010 10:53:56 PM

Well, I'm a little surprised it's not running smooth - but here's my 2 bits. Firstly, 8xAA drasticaly lowers fps. I compared my 5850 at stock (725/1000) to my OC (985/1200) and there was a huge difference at 0xAA (26fps), but it became less at 2x, even less at 4x, and at 8xAA the difference from stock to OC was only 3fps. I made a thread about it, more details there: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259099-29-negates

I run Crysis great at High 1920x1080 4xAA. When I turned on 8xAA, I had the exact same issue of it running slower and using binoculars or the scope caused huge hit to framerate. 4xAA it's smooth as butter.

The second thing is that there's sometimes issues with DX10 in Crysis. I had the game freeze on the last boss, I looked it up, and turns out DX10 can do this but DX9 is safe. A lot of people even report higher fps. So try running the game in DX9. If you use Steam, just go to the game's settings and under the advanced settings add "-dx9". Otherwise you should be able to right click on it and run in DX9. Try that first, if it doesn't help, just run 8xAA (or force 6xAA in Catalyst Control Center and see how that works). Honestly tho, this game is a GPU hog so at very high settings I can understand even xfired 5970s taking a beating. More AA doesn't even make a really noticeable difference anyway, all it does is makes things in the distance look smooth.

Lastly, with 2x 5970s, more than likely a CPU is causing a slight bottleneck, but even then it's not going to cause a big deal just lower the max. If you don't know how to OC, just know that 4ghz is totally do able, and I guess you're already close, but it takes time to get it just right. And aftermarket cooling.
May 12, 2010 12:35:13 AM

Ok before i contact customer support agian let me tell you guys what he said... OK he said that no game out right now can run 2 5970s because they are not optomized to run the hardware, or so im told by the tech. He said future games will support both cards but at this moment none do that he knows of. THEREFORE my 3 1/2 hour long session with him could have been explained in 5 minutes and saved me some time. OK---now i want to know if he is full of bull or not as i have never heard of anything like this before. I checked gpu z and all gpus are running now, i guess since we reinstalled all the drivers and what not it fixed that problem, i guess that explains the slight increase in performance (3-4 fps)
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2010 2:29:10 AM

980X and 2 5970's do not lower detail you should not have to !
I wouldn't
May 12, 2010 5:28:00 AM

Lol i know i feel just like that! i hate lowering the detail but am forced to go to 4x aa but its worth the it because i not longer have that sligth pause when i look down sights that zoom in. Ok after tinkering around with that tech i mentioned i finally played crysis and i did notice an improvment where i was playing. When i loaded the game before i talked to the tech i got about 32fps were i was, after i ,essed around with the tech i got 42 fps so yah i nice 10fps increase and now fights are decent staying around 29-60 AND my max frame rate went up to 170!! although i still drop to 10fps for a half a sec then immediatly go back to at least 30fps but its nice. What the tech and I did was remove ccc and the drivers and reinstall them, seemed to help but definitly not a whole 5970s worth but some.
May 12, 2010 5:42:35 AM

UPDATE!!! Ok i realized i hadnt run teh gpu test since before the call so i did and to my suprise my average was 47fps with crossfire ticked and 39fps with crossfire unticked SO a 8 fps increase with it ticked. DEFINITLY getting somewhere now!!! I dont know if its a whole cards worth of improvements but its definitly a good sign considering before the call i was getting crappy fps no matter if crossfire was ticked or not. So yah cool =) but i think it still isnt running at its full power just yet, i still think somethings holding it back but maybe im wrong but only 8 fps for a whole card just seems loww. Though i did some reading around and many people say crossfire and even sli dont scale well on crysis! On a different note, when i was running 1 card on the exact same settings as toms did (1650 1080) with 1 5970 i managed to get 1fps higher than they did in the gpu test so thats kinda cool, least tells me 1 card is workin fine!!
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 12, 2010 12:42:37 PM

Quote:
Really what kind of experimentation have you done that shows a 7800GTX needs a modern cpu to make the most out of it? A 2ghz dual core would make the most out of it and that's by far a modern cpu.

Don't be an a$$ hole I was just saying that I am a avid collector. At one point I had over 30 cards spanning from 1994 to 2008 and had no shortage of systems to which to benchmark them on.
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 12, 2010 2:25:22 PM

I'm wondering if the RAM is causing a bottleneck. We all know that it doesn't automatically get set to it's rated speeds if it's 1600mhz or higher, and with 12gigs there's potential for other issues... but yea, I'd definitely look into that.
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 12, 2010 3:13:01 PM

wolfram23 said:
I'm wondering if the RAM is causing a bottleneck. We all know that it doesn't automatically get set to it's rated speeds if it's 1600mhz or higher, and with 12gigs there's potential for other issues... but yea, I'd definitely look into that.

This is quite possible more or less the timings may be an issue which is common on Intel builds.
!