Framerate issues Crysis, dual 5970s

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Ok i just got a system for my birthday and its sweet and i wanted to play crysis so i installed and started to play and turned on fraps as well but the frame rates seemed low for the system i have. I have a intel 980 3.33ghz, 2 5970s, and 12g ram but my frame rates have gone as low as 15 fps during an explosion and stay around 30-45 in normal fights and it never goes over 60 in the forest though it seems to be capped for some reason. The settings im running it on are everything maxed at 1920 1080 with 8x aa and 16af and vsync. Can you guys tell me if somethings wrong, i know you get these threads all the time but im just worried my computer isnt running at its full potential.
Thanks for any help!!!!

Holy ballz...you lucky b@sturd!!! :pt1cable:

You have vsync on, which caps your fps at 60 fps.

But for your average fps, there might be something wrong. At 1920x1080 and very-high gfx, you should be getting ~40 fps average with a single 5970 according to the benchmarks. (probably slightly lower with 8x aa). I'd think you should be getting in the 50s-60s with 5970 QuadFire.

But turn off your vsync first. It will definitely increase your max frame rate and probably help with the average fps as well.

I too would say to turn off the VSYNC first.. Also check if you are getting higher frame rates with details turned low.. Something like 4xAA and 4xAF.. Actually you can't spot out the detail levels above this.. I believe you can overclock your cpu also upto atleast 3.8GHz.. Not sure but even that i7 980x at stock may be bottlenecking the huge frame buffer of the two 5970's.. Oh BTW, congrats on the build..

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
lol thanks guys, ill try out the no vsync and see if that helps, also its win 7 64 ultimate, i think a remember someone telling me that crysis has problems on 64bit OS but i cant remember for sure. Im sorry i dont know the mobo, if you can tell me where i can find the info ill tell you. Also there is 1 more problem in crysis, there are no rear tires on the jeeps =/ kinda weird but acceptable.
Thanks so far!!

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
OK so i turned off vsync and played through the first level. pretty cool, frame rate definitly went up, even reaching 130 a couple times x), but during fights it still stayed around 30 to 40 andwhen i found the sniper rifle in teh 2nd level the frame rate went as low as 10, 15 fps and STAYED there till i zoomed out!! The lowest fps i saw was when i zoomed the rocket launcher to survey a village from a distance, frame rate went to 5 fps but then went back to 40 a second later. Still during fights the frame rate will dip for a moment and stay around 30-40 till there all dead then raise from any where to 50-100fps. Everythings updated, i checked, and its not a big monitor, 23in, but it just seems strange that during firefights, which is the beef of ANY game, the fps just dips to 30 but if just lowered and didnt do the brief pause thing when something liek an explosion happened id be completely fine with 30fps but its just the little pauses that get me!! I hope theres a solution cause it just feels like its running slower than it should be. Thanks agian so far!!

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
k ill try that now, i did lower it to 4x aa for a bit, but something in me jsut kinda died knowing i had to lower settings with what i had so i put it back, but it did help some maybe 2 fps in fights but about 8 fps roaming around but it went from 60 to 70 so it wasnt much of a noticable difference, at least to me, but now with the vsync of roaming around gets anywhere from 80 to 110 fps

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
ok just tried 32bit, kinda mixed bag, my min fps went up 4 to 5 but my average went down to like 30-35 and my high went down to about 80. My lowest fps was when i blew up a gas station and staired into the flames with my rocket launcher sights, went down to about 8fps for a second and then jumped around 15- 35fps while i was aimed in the flames. There were 2 notable freezes lasteing a couple seconds each, 1 when i first started to move and another while fighting but other than that pretty good but they still seem low for the hardware.

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
alright now i tried it with warhead, runs horribly eith 8x aa on, unplayable in fact, but with 4x aa runs very smooth with the only slow down being a little on the beach part in the first level. Still seems liek the computer isnt performing up to par.

HKH

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Quad fire has issues sometimes
Turn off Vsync
Start overclocking your CPU, get it to at least 4ghz
My comp runs Crysis at above 40fps with 930 4ghz, 2x5850 OC 4xAA, Very high 1920x1080
Your beast should run far better than mine

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

why does everyone always assume some arbitrary 4ghz overclock will solve everything, it's highly doubtful that the cpu is going to be bottlenecking the 5970 in crysis, definitely can see it in other titles, but as you can see there was a point where he got 130fps it's probably not a clock problem. something you might want to check, is to turn off speed-step in the bios, i know that i would occasionally have hanging problems because for some reason the cpu would downclock to power saving states really weird. and like alikum suggested try running just one 5970, and see if frame rates improve, in some benchs tri-quad crossfire sli perform worse in some instances

in no way am I arguing but it's just plain silly to not overclock with that much gpu power.
2x5970 not making the game fully playable at any resolution especialy 1080P. The beach is the only place I hit below 25 FPS with no AA in warhead I have a 5770
and an e5300 @ 4GHZ I would right away assume this is a driver issue, don't you think ?
Perhaps there is.... an issue with quadfire seems to make sense to me...."The way its ment to be played ?"

what is flipping the multi up 2X going to do ? it will in no way hurt anything..I may be wrong I would almost swear the CPU was a 980x
just from listening to everyone else smack talk I understand crysis OG is not multi core optimized that well

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I can GUARANTEE those 2 5970's are being bottlenecked by that cpu at 3.33ghz. Maybe in this particular game not, but in general yes, definately.

Well, that's what i was saying, in the game it's probably not a problem and atm he's asking about this game, Now if your talking about left for dead, or something then those gpus, are going to be waiting all day on that cpu.

Idk maybe it's just a peve for someone to jump in and say overclock till your eye's bleed, when in this case it's probably not the issue we're looking at, and yes overclocking is definitely hold back that wave of graphics power in a number of titles,

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Ok i tried the 1 5970 and there was a performance hit, my lowest fps really stayed the same but i never went over 55 fps. I do not know how to overclock and i dont know if it will violate the terms of my waranty if i try, my computer is an alienware btw. I do not know how to access my bios but i will try to turn off speed step.

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
when you turn on your computer, there is usually a prompt telling you hit such and such key to access your bios, spedstep should just be a simply on off, no fancy stuff. As for overclocking, cpu can be a bit tricky you would have to read up on it, as for gpu's you can access ati built in overclocking utility CCC catalyst control utility, i believer it's part of the driver, it may not be never had an ati card before, but once you open it's it's as easy as moving a slider bar, you want more performance move the bar, of course you'll reach a point where your cards become unstable and want to back down from that

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Ok i definitly think i have problems, i looked up a review and the dual 5970s had an avg of 67fps on 1920 1200 with 16aa, wtf is wrong with my computer? Also i went into the control center and i wont let me mess with overdrive, its all grayed out even though the box that says enable overdrive is checked, its still grayed out. I think since my computer was built by alienware, they did something to not let me use this feature or maybe im jsut dead wrong lol but still im worried about my computer. I read on a crysis forum that you should enable catalyst AI, which i had disabled, if u have dual card or 2 cards in 1, ie the 5970s. So i enabled it but i saw no noticable difference in fps. As for speedstep, all ive read about it is good, it seems not to hurt performance but i will try this next time i restart my computer just to see. Also i played the dirt 2 demo with everything maxed and it seemed to be running from 20fps to 50 fps, idk but that seems low.
Thanks so far and please continue to help me!!

By the way, what is your PSU? It could be underpowered. How many amps are on the 12v rails, what is the combined wattage on the 12v rail, and what brand is it?

Post a picture of HW-monitor with the voltages and temperatures. Also post a pic of GPU-Z with the "max" clockspeeds.

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
sorry Bluescreendeath i really dont know. The computer is the Area 51 alx desk top from alienware and i had no hand in building it so i really dont know sorry. If you could tell me how to get this info i will gladely try. Also i found out overdrive was lacked, lol, but i tried overclocking it to 850 and 1200 but crysis wouldnt play! I went down to 830 1175 and still no, finally ad 820 1150 it played but froze after!! Idk whats up with that but on just cause 2 my average went from 57 to 59 so thats kinda cool.

Dude, it's an Alienware.....sold by dell, it's $5100 and it came with 2- 5970's and your questioning whether the power supply is enough......seriously?

I'm pretty sure it's an 1100w psu.

Well obviously something is f-ed up somewhere or the OP wouldn't be getting so low fps.

And even high end power supplies sometimes die. There is no harm in checking to make sure and then using HW-monitor to make sure the 12v rails are up to specs.

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
I tired checking power supply but its all covered up by stuff so i couldnt see it. I guess ill try calling tech support and see if they can help me out. Ticks me off though, the computer is 4 days old and there is already a problem with it!! Seems like they should have caught this or something when they made it.
Thanks for the help so far and if anything else comes to mind please let me know!!!