Enabling sata ports

cas1954

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
hope I am doing this right it is the first time I have posted have a asrock K100n78 mb have 6 sata ports 3 x sata hd 1x dvd rw all shown and working have been trying to add another dvd rw but ports 56 seem to be disabled they show in bios as ide, have tested both dvd drives both are working swapped power and sata cables around all are working so only leaves the ports, any suggestions would be appreciated, in simple terms please

Before loading windows, select either "ide" or "achi" if these options are in the board bios. You can also disable "raid" options on most boards. Sata drives should all be detected if the cables are installed properly. I also use maxblast 5.0 to prep all new sata drives; then I know they'll be detected. This software is a free download off maxtor's (owned by seagate) website. It will format and let you select primary or secondary for the drive, and clone an older one if you're not changing boards. Also be sure the boot order is cd(dvd)>hardrive(ide0) and disable any floppy settings, as most folks don't use them anymore.

cas1954

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

hi thanks for your reply unfortunately the system is already up and running only changed my mother board I already have an established windows7 64bit. everything is connected correctly and I have tried to disable ide it shows 2 dvd drives then but windows will not boot any other suggestions would be welcome thanks again for your reply

Boot with the sata drives only. Then connect the ide drives and let windows detect them using the tiny icon in the windows control panel on the upper right side. My ultimate version of 64 bit 7 will configure the new drives as secondary. Ultimate works with xp files, if your old ide drives have xp on them.

cas1954

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

Hi again all the drives are sata but i tried just leaving my 3 hd connected and booted the re booted with one dvd drive connected to port5 and no joy both dvd will work when connected to ports 1-4 thanks again carol

One last suggestion: check the ide drive jumpers. If they are set to primary, change the jumper to secondary or "slave" position. On some drives, the jumper settings are on the drive label; on some you have to go to the website and look up the jumper position. this will surely fix your problem.

cas1954

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

Hi thanks again but on sata drives there are no jumpers