Will this computer run current and near-future mmorpgs?

adestef

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
ntel
® Core™ i7-920 processor(8MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz)

Genuine Windows
® 7 Home Premium, 64bit

4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 4 DIMMs

500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5

I'm getting the Dell XPS 9000 with these specifications for around $1,300. I can't afford to spend much more. I want to get a system that will run Aion and mmo's of similar graphics at around 60 fps average without dipping much below 40 regardless of the situation in-game. I have been researching for a few weeks and feel that this is the best I can get for my money. Will it do the trick for at least the next few years?

Also, how upgradeable are pre-built Dell computers?

Thanks so much to anyone who can answer

Dude you're getting a Dell! Im so sorry :(

Prebuilts arent very upgradeable, they tend to use the bare minimum they can, the PSU wont be enough to let you crossfire in the future, the motherboard is likely from a cheap brand and wont support crossfire or SLI.

Take a look at tecmo's intel enthusiast build, swap the CPU for an i7 860 and the PSU for the 750TX and you are at about the same price as the Dell build but with much higher quality parts and upgradibility.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269162-31-recommended-builds-usage

tecmo34

Administrator
You GPU and CPU are great... Your Memory and Hard Drive will hamper your system. i7920's utilize triple-channel memory and they have you setup as 4 memory sticks (or you are getting a lessor of a board that only supports dual channel). The hard drive will be based off of two 250GB platters to make up a 500GB platter. You will loose speed by doing so. MMORPG benefit from faster hard drives, which typically are the slowest component in your system.

The Dell will most likely be upgradable for the hard drive and switching out graphics cards. It won't be overclockable, which is a major issue with OEM PC's. I would recommend building your own at a $1,300 price tag based on either an AMD Phenom II X4 955 or an Intel i5 750 CPU.

adestef

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
originally didn't want to buy from dell but while I'm familiar with computer components, I doubt I could put one together myself.

Every custom built computer site has gotten terrible reviews and I would hate to spend the money only to get scammed. If there were something wrong with the computer, I don't know that I could figure out the problem myself.

Is there any reliable custom built computer website?