nathanbarlow

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Hi

I'm modifying an old setup. My question is can I use the ide cable and molex power which is plugged into my floppy drive with a harddrive? No need for floppy drive due to USB and internet. Same for cd-drive.

Other query is how many harddrives a Abit BE7 (raid version) can support, as I can't find this info online

Cheers.

Solution

Floppy drivers use a different ribbon cable and the smaller molex connectors. So no you can't reuse those. And usually IDE mobos have 2 ide slots. So you can use 4.
Master-slave IDE0 and master-slave ide1.

Can you use more?... I don't know I never bothered, I suppose you can buy some ide controller.

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

Floppy drivers use a different ribbon cable and the smaller molex connectors. So no you can't reuse those. And usually IDE mobos have 2 ide slots. So you can use 4.
Master-slave IDE0 and master-slave ide1.

Can you use more?... I don't know I never bothered, I suppose you can buy some ide controller.

Solution

nathanbarlow

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
thanks Fastx21.

So there's no point taking the floppy drive out of the comp even though it's never used anymore? i.e i cant replace it with a harddrive?

4 IDE drives sounds enough. Got 2 x 500GB and the original 80GB, plus if I wanted another 40GB (from another old unused box)

cheers