routing mult IP but only one network card

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

hi all. Does anybody know how to enable IP routing on an XP, but that uses
only one network card, and has assigned two IP addresses to it?

I know how to achieve routing on a multihomed XP machine having two network
cards and different addresses assigned to each one. Through the registry,
right? But what I want to achieve is 2 IP but 1 NIC and can do IP routing.

One of the IP addresses assigned is a regular one that our LAN uses
normally. But added to it is the IP address of 169.254.1.1

The reason behind this setup is so that when a laptop user plugs into our
LAN and could not receive DHCP address, which laptop in turn automatically
assignes itself a one of the 169.254.x.x address by default, and it can
still communicate with at least one host because now the laptop and this XP
machine I referred to have both 169.254.x.x addresses.

Now, what I want to achieve is for the laptop to use that XP machine as a
gateway, so that the laptop talks to the XP, and XP routes the packets to
LAN, again thru this one network card.

any ideas/comments I appreciate, thanks!
joe

Hello Joe,

Good to hear from you.

According to your message, we cannot enable IP routing on one NIC on the
winXP machine. According to the router principle, we need two NICs to play
the router role. For example, let us say the LAN has IP like 192.168.x.x,
the laptop will have 169.254.x.x address by default. The 192 and 169 are in
different subnets. One NIC is unable to communicate with the two subnets.

In addition, it is not recommended to use XP to do IP routing. Win2k server
is more suitable in this case.

Regarding your scenario, it is not common to use IP routing. If you use
DHCP server in the LAN, the laptop will be assigned a proper IP in most
cases. If you cannot get one, please use "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig
/renew" commands to force the DHCP server to give an IP.

I assume you want to use IP routing for the case that the DHCP pool is
empty, and then the laptop cannot access the LAN. Is this correct? If this
is the case, you can add the IP address 169.254.1.1 to XP, and thus connect
the laptop to XP, and the XP to the LAN. However, you have to use 2 NICs.

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to get
in touch!

Best regards,

Frances He

Microsoft Online Partner Support