thegameon

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Hi guys so I have 8gb ram ion my comp 4x2gb kit stock and i think they are 10600 ddr3 1333 pretty sure. so i just ordered 2x4gb ddr3 16000, 2000mhz rams from crucial and i have 4 slots as u can tell, i was wondering if the order i put the new rams matters or not like put the first 4 gb in the first slot and the 2nd 4gb kit in the 3rd slot or leave the 1st and 3rd slot free and put them on 2nd and 4th slots ?

Solution

If his Motherboard will support the 2000 speed.... :hello:
As long as you have the old RAM in one channel and the new RAM in the other channel you'll be fine. If your current RAM is in slots 1 and 3, put the new in 2 and 4. It will all operate at DDR3-1333 speed anyway.

Also, you may need to increase the RAM voltage when all four slots are filled.

thegameon

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
i dont think you read what i said i said i already have 8 gb ram on my comp (4x2gb). new ones are 2x4gb so its 2 piece instead of 4 u know what i mean so ill remove all of those rams and but the 2 kit (4gbx2) and i will have 8gb ram again. i cant use those 2 new ones and the old 2 ones because they r not runnin with the same speed im gona have 2 empty slots so thats why i asked is ok to put them on random order

Okay.

The iX series CPUs need the memory in the second and fourth (and sixth, if triple-channel) slots first, and then the first and third (and fifth, if triple-channel) slot if you're using four (or six) sticks.

So if using two sticks on dual-channel board (which you are):
Slot 1 (closest to CPU): Empty
Slot 2: RAM
Slot 3: Empty
Slot 4: RAM

Or...put the new ram in 2&4 and leave the old ram in 1&3. :D :sol: