Sign in with
Your question

Too Much Free Time - CAD Rendering OF a 5850 (Almost Done!)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 4:20:02 AM

Well, I was a little bored and felt like giving my new v5700 a test (along with practicing my CAD skills) so I thought it would be 'fun' (sad, isn't it) to draw up my 5850 in AutoDesk Inventor 2010. I've posted below a couple early renders of the model, which I'll update as I complete. New on Second Post

5/5/2010:

Click for full size (didn't want to make this take too long to load):

Full Assembly: PCB/Small Components/RV870 Chip

PCB and Small Components Only: Another Angle

Closeup of RV870 Die: Etched ATI Logo

Not sure I'll get to the back. Nearly out of memory with this side alone (it already takes 2-3 min to render/update on my Athlon II). I do intend to make the cooler however, as well as tweak and finish this part (such as power/video connectors and PCI plate).

5/6/2010:

Pretty much the finished PCB (my computer can't do much more). Still need to make and add connectors (as well as the cooler). The main changes between this PCB and the ones above is that now the small parts that are supposed to be round (like diodes) actually are round. However, it is almost impossible to see in these images. Click the thumbnail to view full size:

5/6/2010 (Night):

The whole board is complete (all power/Video connectors). All that is left is the cooler. Again, click for high res version:

Detail of Power Connectors:

Detail of Video Connectors and Plate:

a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 4:20:58 AM

NEW 5/7/2010

Just Finished the Heatsink portion of the cooler. This part actually was technically difficult, but I had it planned out in my head beforehand so it didn't take to long. Reflections are a little over the top, might need to tone down the shine.

Detail of Heatsink:

Heatsink Mounted on Card:

Detail of GPU Fan:

Only Missing the Cover!

Everything But the Side Plastic Logo!

a c 189 U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 9:12:12 AM

Impressive skill, EXT64... :D 
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 1:46:55 PM

Awesome :D  What program/s did you use ?
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 2:06:31 PM

Autodesk Inventor 2010. I am thinking of doing rendering/modeling with the 5850, but that would be more so I could use my OC'ed i5. The final render/raytracing (what you see above) is pure CPU and infinitely scalable, so an i5 at 3.6 would cut the 2+ minutes my Athlon II at 3 takes for the final render. The main modeling program also is hitting a processor limit (though it is stressing the GPU quite a bit too), however it is only single threading.
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 2:25:04 PM

^ Grab Maya or 3DS. Much better for rendering than Inventor Studio imo. If you are a student you can grab the latest version for free.
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 2:33:58 PM

So, those can take Inventor files, correct?
(Edit: and yes, I'm a student so I can get those.)
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 6:45:43 PM

Edited OP to add a couple more images and use thumbnails so the page loads quickly but you can click for the full resolution version.
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2010 2:15:00 AM

Edited again to put up the final renders of everything but the cooler/fan. That might take a little while as exams are coming up, but we'll see.
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2010 2:27:40 AM

Shadow703793 said:
^ Grab Maya or 3DS. Much better for rendering than Inventor Studio imo. If you are a student you can grab the latest version for free.

Either autodesk just recently decided 3ds max is free for students, or your misinformed. Just graduated in 09, I had to purchase 3ds max, although it was a highly discounted student license.
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2010 2:32:37 AM

A 13 month 3ds license is free for students now (2011). Last year it was a 6 month license, and before that perhaps none or less.
May 7, 2010 3:19:06 AM

goddamn, that was some skills there. I know nothing about CAD rendering... however...

how long did it take you to do this? also, can you do a Fermi?

And, how long would this take to render on a 3.8 Ghz phenom ii 720?
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2010 3:57:08 AM

I started Monday night. I haven't kept track of # of hours, but it has taken a while. I'm hoping to finish by mid next week.

I would do a Fermi, however I'm about to head home for break, so I'll be busy with work and other projects, so it will only be a 5850 for now.

The final Studio renders above take about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on my Athlon II at 3GHz. The final render is fully multithreading (though the translation is single), so I'd guess your Phenom II could do in the 45 sec range. The actual modeling in Inventor is mostly single threading, so it would only be moderately faster there. I actually can't add any more to the PCB part as the model is so complex it takes 2-3 min to do a simple sketch/extrusion/update.
May 7, 2010 4:20:19 AM

Damn you are Good with that program. When i'm in the lab at school i see a lot of the other engineers using it and, well, they're certainly not that good!

I'm a Chem-E myself, so i don't have to learn to use it :D , shame!
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2010 4:24:04 AM

Well, the nice thing about this model (so far at least) is that most of the parts are not difficult to do individually, just there are so many it takes a really long time. The fan/cooler might be a different story though.
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2010 4:05:56 PM

Updated with Heatsink (second post).
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2010 5:13:51 PM

Updated with Fan.
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2010 10:13:17 PM

loneninja said:
Either autodesk just recently decided 3ds max is free for students, or your misinformed. Just graduated in 09, I had to purchase 3ds max, although it was a highly discounted student license.

EXT64 said:
A 13 month 3ds license is free for students now (2011). Last year it was a 6 month license, and before that perhaps none or less.

^ Exactly. In the 2010 version, it was 6 months. Before that it was 3 months.

Quote:
I actually can't add any more to the PCB part as the model is so complex it takes 2-3 min to do a simple sketch/extrusion/update.

:lol:  Yeah. Inventor is kind of bloated imo. I prefer SolidWorks, but alas my trial ran out. Anyways, try doing a 1x1x3mm (lwh) square extrusion pattern with 2 mm spacing on a 220x220x22mm block of copper. :D  . I mainly use Inventor for designing waterblocks and running CFD sims (using Algore sim, no pun intended).
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2010 10:38:42 PM

2nd to last update (all done but side red plastic logo).

I've heard great things about SolidWorks, however I haven't been able to secure a free copy. I did snag Pro/E, and hopefully I'll get some new software next year for my senior design team project.

The craziest patterns I've done (on Pro/E or Inventor) was the pins on the back of processors. Even that would make it think for a while.
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2010 1:05:26 AM

I personally use Blender, after some experience the tons of customization can make some really unmatched things, but it is very different from most other modeling programs.
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2010 3:23:11 AM

yeah, it is amazing how many different types of modeling programs there are. I joke (though it is pretty much true) that every company I talk to uses a different CAD software.
!