Sign in with
Your question

Need help installing audio drivers (portcls.sys BSOD)

March 9, 2013 11:58:08 PM

I recently got my old Dell Dimension 3000 running XP SP3 running again, but the audio driver seems to have uninstalled itself. I've been having troubles installing the driver. Every time I run the installation, when the file being copied gets to alcrmv.exe (I'm not sure this is a problem or not; portcls.sys is the first installed, this is several files after it), I BSOD (blue screen) and get an error mentioning portcls.sys. Doing some research, other people seem to BSOD with the same error message. I've uninstalled all sound drivers with Driver Fusion (in Safe Mode) and installed Microsoft's portcls.sys Hotfix, but I still BSOD during the driver install. I've tried using Realtek's WDM_A406 drivers and AD1980 Soundmax drivers for XP I found somewhere online, but they all BSOD. The hardware information for the audio is this:

Windows recognizes it as: Multimedia Audio Controller

Realtek AC-97 audio

The hardware model is: VEN_8086 DEV_24D5 SUBSYS_019D102 REV_02

Here's some information about that model number and how I found which drivers to use: http://www.pcidatabase.com/search.php?device_search_str... (the bottom 2 results)
!