Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD upgrade -should I or should I not.

Last response: in Storage
August 3, 2012 4:59:33 PM

Hello Forum members. I need the communities advice again.

I currently have an 80gig X25-M Intel SSD.

I have windows 7 64bit home/ D3/office 2007 installed with some other miscellaneous programs like GPUZ and etc. –all other files are stored on a 1TB WD Black Caviar HDD.

I would love to have GW2 installed on a SSD which would be about 25-30gigs.

Last I checked; I had about 40 gigs of free space left.

Questions:

1. Would you guys recommend me installed GW2 on the existing SSD which would leave me with a few gigs left of space?

2. Is there a certain amount of space that should be left on the SSD or can I use it all of it without any performance issues?

3. Recommend getting a new SSD?

4. What is the difference between my existing SSD with the newer ones? I believe X25M is a 250mb read speed. Is that that much of a difference in speed that can be seen or is it more virtual figures?

5. What can I do with my old one? Can I use it as another storage drive for gaming with a new one that has different brand/specs?

6. Anything other items you guys recommend for upgrade for actual performance increase?

7. I wouldn’t want to spend anything over $300.00 (but lower the better of course)

8. I don’t do RAID if that was even a possibility. I’m not that technically that knowledgeable so I would rather stick with simplicity.

I play at 2560x1440 in windows mode full screen and two other flanking monitors that are just for 2D applications. (GPZ, internet, etc –NO video streaming /downloading)

Thank you all for any comments and recommendations.

System Specs:
Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E
CPU: i7 930 LGA1366 @ 4.0ghz
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14
SSD: Intel X25-M 80gig
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm
GPU: EVGA GTX680 (Non OC'd)
RAM: Corsair XMS3 Classic 6GB DDR3 1600 MHz
PSU: Corsair 750TXw
Case: Antec 1200

More about : ssd upgrade

Best solution

a c 289 G Storage
August 3, 2012 6:30:49 PM

1) I would try it myself. But you don't want to run out of space on the system drive. Have you made sure that things you don't need, like the hiberfile (if you don't hibernate) are turned off?

2) Different people will give you different answers. Some say that the manufacturer already overprovisions consumer drives, so you don't have to. I've seen people write that you should stop at 50 percent. 25 percent free seems to be around the average of posts that I have seen.

3) Depends on your money situation. If it's not a strain, get a bigger one. Either clone your OS to it or keep your OS where it is and add the new SSD, then install games to it.

4) Old SSD = fast. New SSD = fast. Unless you do massive transcoding or benchmarking, they will both seem fast. Don't worry about it unless your benchies are important to you.

5) Use it as storage or, as I said above, keep it as OS drive. If you can't figure out what to do with it, send it to me. I will definitely find a use for it.

6) I am the wrong person to reply to this one. For what I use my system for, any decent SSD is fast, period. I love the SSD vs. HDD graph on this page; it says everything that I think about the subject of which SSD is fastest: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performa...

7) Check out Toms' deal of the day, like this: http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/searchtools/ite...
Or the Best SSDs for the money: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/buy-ssd-recommendat... , with two 256 GB drives between 200 and 300.

8) My personal opinion: Don't RAID unless it is the best solution to a specific need. needlessly messy. I've done it to benchmark, for fun.

Have fun. Have good image backups of your system drive and nothing can go wrong!
August 3, 2012 6:47:13 PM

Hey WyominKnott. You've acutally replied to my questions before!

Thanks for your constant replies in the forums. Much appericated.

1) I have optimized the SSD (like hiberfile) etc etc.

2) humm this sounds like I need it then =(

3) Above ^ -recommend any?

4) Benchmarks are not that important. But is it that much faster since the read speeds has doubled since I bought mine.....

5) Would it matter with different brands/speeds. I assume different drivers and programs such as intel's SMART wont run into complications?

6) ...i will re-post on Homebuilt systems...

7) Anyone can recommend one? I live in canada

8) Agreed -thats y i dont RAID.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
August 3, 2012 6:55:47 PM

The real problem here is GW2 is 25-30gb. wtf, that's like 7dvd images worth. No way it is actually using all those files in every gaming session.

If it is saving or caching a lot of downloads or updates and stuff, see if you can purge those out.

but yea....blame GW2 for being bloated.
m
l
August 7, 2012 4:49:41 PM

Hello Forums members. I opted to get another SSD. Picked up an Intel 520 240gig

I know there are cheaper ones per gig, but I wanted the reliability and I was really happy with the X25-M 80gig that I purchased 3 years ago and includes a 5year Warranty. (+ It’s the same brand)

On another note if someone else has the same question:

My current mobo won't utilize the Intel 520 write/read speeds but I can use it when I’m due for a Mobo and CPU upgrade later on.

While I’m not a complete dummy when it comes to computers, but I’m by no means technically competent. Had to get a buddy to switch the Marvell drivers as it was garbage (as I was told).

Special thanks to WyomingKnott for the quick response.

Cheers.
m
l
August 7, 2012 4:49:52 PM

Best answer selected by MrHamm.
m
l
!