Do sata drives need jumper settings

Aug 3, 2012
Hello, My old computer, Presario died. the SATA hard drive is still good and functioning. I just bought a new Pavilion. I NEEEEEEEEED to get the data off my old compaq drive. I want to install that old drive in my new Pavilion as a second hard drive to be able to get that data! anyone able to give advice?

I know in the past one would have to make one the 'SLAVE" drive...is this still true in today;s world?

bucknutty

Distinguished
Some of the older sata drives had a jumper to denote what speed to run at. For example if you put the jumper on, the drive would run at sata 1.0 only. This would some times cause issues for newer sata 2 controllers.

I think dereck is on the right track though. Normally all you have to do is plug it in and then enable that hdd in the bios. If you want that old hdd to be the boot drive then you have to set it as the boot drive in the bios.

Keep in mind if you move an old hdd from and old computer to a new computer windows will not boot like 90% of the time because the mother board drivers loaded into windows will not work with the new board causing blue screens or a black screen with a white cursor in the top left. You would have to do a repair installation using the windows disc.

Aug 3, 2012

I know just enough to be DANGEROUS...LOL.... I want to keep the new drive in place....and just add the old drive to get data off of it.... Looking at the new computers connections, there is a P4 cable coming directly off of it. I assume I plug that into the back of the old drive??? Also, for power, can I temporarily take the power/smaller pinned cable off the DVD drive? OR should I take that smaller pinned -female - from the old computer and connect it to the motherboard in one of the other slots on it (there are two other open slots) Given this - assuming its all good...would I still need to go into the BIOS to adjust something???

bucknutty

Distinguished
If you dont plan to keep the old drive in the new computer you can simply pull the 2 cables from the back of the dvd drive and plug them into the old hdd. Make sure the old hdd is in a safe place and that the printed circut cant touch anything metal.

Turn on computer. The old drive should now be D or E.

The small cable is the sata cable. It carries info from the mobo to the hdd and back. The bigger cable with with the yellow red and black wires is the power cable.

You may have to hit f1 or f10 or delete during post to enter the computers bios. (basic Input output system) In here you may have to enable the old hdd. But this is might happen automatically.

Aug 3, 2012

Thank YOU SO MUCH! It actually worked to unplug the dvd drive cables and plug into the old hard drive!!! I owe you a hefty discount at my bed and breakfast here in Flagstaff, Arizona = come visit the Grand Canyon!

My next hurdle is getting my outlook data over.... sigh..