TR2 XP Startup and FMV Continous Skipping

I installed and have been playing TR2 on my xp pro sp2 (p4 3.0ghz) box. The
game plays fine. However, during startup when displaying the EIDOS screen
the sound begins skipping continuously and the video frame gets stuck until
I press escape. The same happens on any of the FMV movie sequences. All
other aspects of the game appear to work fine including music during
gameplay.

I haven't been able to find anything related to this problem on
tombraiderchronicles or any of the other popular tomb raider sites. Has
anyone here run across this problem and have a fix for it?

Thanks!
36 answers Last reply
More about startup continous skipping
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    occasionally I encounter it, have you tried rebooting before playing the
    game?
    rex
    "Plugh" <xyzzy@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I installed and have been playing TR2 on my xp pro sp2 (p4 3.0ghz) box.
    >The game plays fine. However, during startup when displaying the EIDOS
    >screen the sound begins skipping continuously and the video frame gets
    >stuck until I press escape. The same happens on any of the FMV movie
    >sequences. All other aspects of the game appear to work fine including
    >music during gameplay.
    >
    > I haven't been able to find anything related to this problem on
    > tombraiderchronicles or any of the other popular tomb raider sites. Has
    > anyone here run across this problem and have a fix for it?
    >
    > Thanks!

  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Plugh" <xyzzy@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I installed and have been playing TR2 on my xp pro sp2 (p4 3.0ghz)
    > box. The game plays fine. However, during startup when displaying
    > the EIDOS screen the sound begins skipping continuously and the video
    > frame gets stuck until I press escape. The same happens on any of
    > the FMV movie sequences. All other aspects of the game appear to
    > work fine including music during gameplay.
    >
    > I haven't been able to find anything related to this problem on
    > tombraiderchronicles or any of the other popular tomb raider sites.
    > Has anyone here run across this problem and have a fix for it?
    >
    > Thanks!

    No, It is doing the same thing to me too, I just re-started TR2 for a
    relpay. I updated my Binks stuff and that didn't help. I am not sure
    if it's sound related or video. But I too want the FMV's.
    Lets both watch this space, as time allows I'll work on this one.
    McG.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Rex Reynolds" <r.c.reynolds@REMOVETHISworldnet.att.net> wrote in
    message news:OygTd.272243$w62.213437@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
    > occasionally I encounter it, have you tried rebooting before playing
    > the game?
    > rex
    > "Plugh" <xyzzy@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> I installed and have been playing TR2 on my xp pro sp2 (p4 3.0ghz)
    >> box. The game plays fine. However, during startup when displaying
    >> the EIDOS screen the sound begins skipping continuously and the
    >> video frame gets stuck until I press escape. The same happens on
    >> any of the FMV movie sequences. All other aspects of the game
    >> appear to work fine including music during gameplay.
    >>
    >> I haven't been able to find anything related to this problem on
    >> tombraiderchronicles or any of the other popular tomb raider sites.
    >> Has anyone here run across this problem and have a fix for it?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    Rebooting XP? :o)
    With XP it's really better to find the problem and fix it. The Binks
    stuff doesn't use any of the codecs that all the other windows stuff
    uses that I know of. If this isn't a sound issue then it's video
    related. I have a fairly new vid card that uses nVidias newest driver
    sets to enable all its vid goodness. I'm kinda thinking that's more the
    problem, even though I don't get any of this with TR3 :0\
    McG.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > "Rex Reynolds" <r.c.reynolds@REMOVETHISworldnet.att.net> wrote in
    > message news:OygTd.272243$w62.213437@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
    >> occasionally I encounter it, have you tried rebooting before playing
    >> the game?
    >> rex
    >> "Plugh" <xyzzy@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> I installed and have been playing TR2 on my xp pro sp2 (p4 3.0ghz)
    >>> box. The game plays fine. However, during startup when displaying
    >>> the EIDOS screen the sound begins skipping continuously and the
    >>> video frame gets stuck until I press escape. The same happens on
    >>> any of the FMV movie sequences. All other aspects of the game
    >>> appear to work fine including music during gameplay.
    >>>
    >>> I haven't been able to find anything related to this problem on
    >>> tombraiderchronicles or any of the other popular tomb raider sites. Has
    >>> anyone here run across this problem and have a fix for it?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >
    > Rebooting XP? :o)
    > With XP it's really better to find the problem and fix it. The Binks
    > stuff doesn't use any of the codecs that all the other windows stuff uses
    > that I know of. If this isn't a sound issue then it's video related. I
    > have a fairly new vid card that uses nVidias newest driver sets to enable
    > all its vid goodness. I'm kinda thinking that's more the problem, even
    > though I don't get any of this with TR3 :0\
    > McG.

    I'm thinking that it isn't a problem with win xp specifically more like a
    glitch with the game, and how it reads the cd. but then tr2 has given me
    probs in the past with cd drives.
    rex
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > No, It is doing the same thing to me too, I just re-started TR2 for a
    > relpay. I updated my Binks stuff and that didn't help. I am not sure if
    > it's sound related or video. But I too want the FMV's.
    > Lets both watch this space, as time allows I'll work on this one.
    > McG.

    Thanks for the ideas everyone.

    I'm going to mess around with the settings for my video card. I have an ATI
    Radeon 9800 Pro.
    I'll post an update if I find anything significant.
    I'm guessing this is a video issue also as I get the same problem using my
    dvd and dvd-rw drives and also a virtual cd-rom drive created by
    VirtualDrive software.

    Another question...How do you go about updating your "Binks stuff?"

    ==Cheers
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    btw...on the sound side my sound card is a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 card.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Rex Reynolds" <r.c.reynolds@REMOVETHISworldnet.att.net> wrote in
    message news:QLoTd.73393$Th1.11231@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
    >> "Rex Reynolds" <r.c.reynolds@REMOVETHISworldnet.att.net> wrote in
    >> message
    >>> occasionally I encounter it, have you tried rebooting before playing
    >>> the game?
    >>> rex
    >>> "Plugh" <xyzzy@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >> Rebooting XP? :o)
    >> With XP it's really better to find the problem and fix it. The Binks
    >> stuff doesn't use any of the codecs that all the other windows stuff
    >> uses that I know of. If this isn't a sound issue then it's video
    >> related. I have a fairly new vid card that uses nVidias newest
    >> driver sets to enable all its vid goodness. I'm kinda thinking
    >> that's more the problem, even though I don't get any of this with
    >> TR3 :0\ McG.
    >>
    > I'm thinking that it isn't a problem with win xp specifically more
    > like a glitch with the game, and how it reads the cd. but then tr2
    > has given me probs in the past with cd drives.
    > rex

    In that case, I think I'll have to dig up the old no-cd thing. I don't
    have a CD Rom. I have a DVD-RW. That seems to toss a spanner into a
    few older things. Thanks for the memory jog there Rex, I'd forgotten
    all about the CD drive issues.
    McG.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > "Plugh" <xyzzy@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> I installed and have been playing TR2 on my xp pro sp2 (p4 3.0ghz)
    >> box. The game plays fine. However, during startup when displaying
    >> the EIDOS screen the sound begins skipping continuously and the video
    >> frame gets stuck until I press escape. The same happens on any of
    >> the FMV movie sequences. All other aspects of the game appear to
    >> work fine including music during gameplay.
    >>
    >> I haven't been able to find anything related to this problem on
    >> tombraiderchronicles or any of the other popular tomb raider sites. Has
    >> anyone here run across this problem and have a fix for it?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >
    > No, It is doing the same thing to me too, I just re-started TR2 for a
    > relpay. I updated my Binks stuff and that didn't help. I am not sure if
    > it's sound related or video. But I too want the FMV's.
    > Lets both watch this space, as time allows I'll work on this one.
    > McG.

    Hmmm. I think I understood you guys, but I just loaded TR2 on my P4 1.3GHz
    Hp, using a DVD-RW, with a mad dog FX5200 (nVida G-force something or
    other), and my game runs fine, no glitches, no sound skips (ahh, it sure was
    nice to hear Lara's voice saying hmm, or ahh, orugh, and I had to do the
    hand stand jump ing grab up the cave blocks in the Great wall). Anyway, no
    problems, except for my clumsy jumping skills ^_^. I let the install wizard
    do it all, only prob is that as usual, tho it recognizes my Wingman cordless
    game pad, I can only look at the passport, not open it, so I have to use the
    keyboard. Am I any help??

    Inu-Yasha
    Feh!!
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > "Plugh" <xyzzy@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> I installed and have been playing TR2 on my xp pro sp2 (p4 3.0ghz)
    >> box. The game plays fine. However, during startup when displaying
    >> the EIDOS screen the sound begins skipping continuously and the video
    >> frame gets stuck until I press escape. The same happens on any of
    >> the FMV movie sequences. All other aspects of the game appear to
    >> work fine including music during gameplay.
    >>
    >> I haven't been able to find anything related to this problem on
    >> tombraiderchronicles or any of the other popular tomb raider sites. Has
    >> anyone here run across this problem and have a fix for it?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >
    > No, It is doing the same thing to me too, I just re-started TR2 for a
    > relpay. I updated my Binks stuff and that didn't help. I am not sure if
    > it's sound related or video. But I too want the FMV's.
    > Lets both watch this space, as time allows I'll work on this one.
    > McG.

    Oh, forgot to say, I let it play all the way through the intros until Lara
    slides down into the cave, even looked at the helicopeter overfly, w/good
    sound also.

    Inu-Yasha
    Feh!!
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    TR2 and TR3 FMV's fail on my P4EE 3.4ghz with either ATI 9800XT or
    my new ATI X800 XT PE. Hyperthreading on or off doesn't seem to make
    a difference. Also have audigy 2zs on this system.

    Everything works on my P4 2ghz / ATI 9700 pro system, using the native
    on board sound. Will put the 9800 XT on this system and see if it makes
    any difference.

    Seems like a hardware issue to me. Could be the sound card as the failure
    is associated with stuttering sound.

    Note, TR2 doesn't require any patch to run with XP, but TR3 does.
    The "gold" versions for TR2 and TR3 have the same issues.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > "Rex Reynolds" <r.c.reynolds@REMOVETHISworldnet.att.net> wrote in
    > message news:QLoTd.73393$Th1.11231@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
    >> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> "Rex Reynolds" <r.c.reynolds@REMOVETHISworldnet.att.net> wrote in
    >>> message

    >>> Rebooting XP? :o)
    >>> With XP it's really better to find the problem and fix it. The Binks
    >>> stuff doesn't use any of the codecs that all the other windows stuff
    >>> uses that I know of. If this isn't a sound issue then it's video
    >>> related. I have a fairly new vid card that uses nVidias newest
    >>> driver sets to enable all its vid goodness. I'm kinda thinking
    >>> that's more the problem, even though I don't get any of this with
    >>> TR3 :0\ McG.
    >>>
    >> I'm thinking that it isn't a problem with win xp specifically more
    >> like a glitch with the game, and how it reads the cd. but then tr2
    >> has given me probs in the past with cd drives.
    >> rex
    >
    > In that case, I think I'll have to dig up the old no-cd thing. I don't
    > have a CD Rom. I have a DVD-RW. That seems to toss a spanner into a few
    > older things. Thanks for the memory jog there Rex, I'd forgotten all
    > about the CD drive issues.
    > McG.

    us older folks (and/or those with 'crs') need to stick together and jog each
    others memory :-)
    rex
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Plugh wrote:

    > I installed and have been playing TR2 on my xp pro sp2 (p4 3.0ghz) box. The
    > game plays fine. However, during startup when displaying the EIDOS screen
    > the sound begins skipping continuously and the video frame gets stuck until
    > I press escape. The same happens on any of the FMV movie sequences. All
    > other aspects of the game appear to work fine including music during
    > gameplay.
    >
    > I haven't been able to find anything related to this problem on
    > tombraiderchronicles or any of the other popular tomb raider sites. Has
    > anyone here run across this problem and have a fix for it?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I don't know if this would help narrow it down, but have
    you tried playing any of the FMV's by themselves (from the
    CD) using RAD's Bink player?

    My guess is that if they play fine that way, it's probably
    some setting related to the game. If not, it's probably
    something with XP or maybe the hardware drivers.

    -- G
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    >> No, It is doing the same thing to me too, I just re-started TR2 for a
    >> relpay. I updated my Binks stuff and that didn't help. I am not
    >> sure if it's sound related or video. But I too want the FMV's.
    >> Lets both watch this space, as time allows I'll work on this one.
    >> McG.
    >
    > Thanks for the ideas everyone.
    >
    > I'm going to mess around with the settings for my video card. I have
    > an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.
    > I'll post an update if I find anything significant.
    > I'm guessing this is a video issue also as I get the same problem
    > using my dvd and dvd-rw drives and also a virtual cd-rom drive
    > created by VirtualDrive software.
    >
    > Another question...How do you go about updating your "Binks stuff?"
    >
    > ==Cheers

    download the latest Rad/Binks from their site, uninstall older version,
    install new one. I wonder if that helps tho, now?
    McG.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > btw...on the sound side my sound card is a Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    > card.

    I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > "Rex Reynolds" <r.c.reynolds@REMOVETHISworldnet.att.net> wrote in
    > message news:QLoTd.73393$Th1.11231@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
    > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> "Rex Reynolds" <r.c.reynolds@REMOVETHISworldnet.att.net> wrote in
    > >> message

    > >> Rebooting XP? :o)
    > >> With XP it's really better to find the problem and fix it. The Binks
    > >> stuff doesn't use any of the codecs that all the other windows stuff
    > >> uses that I know of. If this isn't a sound issue then it's video
    > >> related. I have a fairly new vid card that uses nVidias newest
    > >> driver sets to enable all its vid goodness. I'm kinda thinking
    > >> that's more the problem, even though I don't get any of this with
    > >> TR3 :0\ McG.
    > >>
    > > I'm thinking that it isn't a problem with win xp specifically more
    > > like a glitch with the game, and how it reads the cd. but then tr2
    > > has given me probs in the past with cd drives.
    > > rex
    >
    > In that case, I think I'll have to dig up the old no-cd thing. I don't
    > have a CD Rom. I have a DVD-RW. That seems to toss a spanner into a
    > few older things. Thanks for the memory jog there Rex, I'd forgotten
    > all about the CD drive issues.
    > McG.

    I have this same problem with TR3 on my XP home edition. Elaborate a little
    McG, what is "the old no-cd thing"? A patch? A copy method to to the hard
    drive?
    TIA

    --
    Geno in Sacramento
    Remove "nospam" from my address to e-mail me

    "Don't believe everything that you -- think."
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Geno" <gene.williams@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
    >> "Rex Reynolds" <r.c.reynolds@REMOVETHISworldnet.att.net> wrote in
    >> message news:QLoTd.73393$Th1.11231@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
    >>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> I'm thinking that it isn't a problem with win xp specifically more
    >>> like a glitch with the game, and how it reads the cd. but then tr2
    >>> has given me probs in the past with cd drives.
    >>> rex
    >>
    >> In that case, I think I'll have to dig up the old no-cd thing. I
    >> don't have a CD Rom. I have a DVD-RW. That seems to toss a spanner
    >> into a few older things. Thanks for the memory jog there Rex, I'd
    >> forgotten all about the CD drive issues.
    >> McG.
    >>

    > I have this same problem with TR3 on my XP home edition. Elaborate a
    > little McG, what is "the old no-cd thing"? A patch? A copy method to
    > to the hard drive?
    > TIA

    www.gamecopyworld.com

    select a mirror, over on the right select PC Games, select T from the
    alphabet, scroll down to find Tombraider, follow instructions :) It's
    easy enough. HIH
    McG.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Jeff Reid" <jeffareid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > TR2 and TR3 FMV's fail on my P4EE 3.4ghz with either ATI 9800XT or
    > my new ATI X800 XT PE. Hyperthreading on or off doesn't seem to make
    > a difference. Also have audigy 2zs on this system.
    >
    > Everything works on my P4 2ghz / ATI 9700 pro system, using the native
    > on board sound. Will put the 9800 XT on this system and see if it makes
    > any difference.
    >
    > Seems like a hardware issue to me. Could be the sound card as the failure
    > is associated with stuttering sound.
    >
    > Note, TR2 doesn't require any patch to run with XP, but TR3 does.
    > The "gold" versions for TR2 and TR3 have the same issues.

    Heh, Now that you mention it, I forgot to mention a. I'm using XP home
    edition, b. ,y HP has a Sound Blaster PCI card, and I used the TR2 gold
    version. ??^_^??

    Inu-Yasha
    Feh!!
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Inu-Yasha" <tjardine@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> "Plugh" <xyzzy@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> I installed and have been playing TR2 on my xp pro sp2 (p4 3.0ghz)
    >>> box. The game plays fine. However, during startup when displaying
    >>> the EIDOS screen the sound begins skipping continuously and the
    >>> video frame gets stuck until I press escape. The same happens on
    >>> any of the FMV movie sequences. All other aspects of the game
    >>> appear to
    >>> work fine including music during gameplay.
    >>>
    >>> I haven't been able to find anything related to this problem on
    >>> tombraiderchronicles or any of the other popular tomb raider sites.
    >>> Has anyone here run across this problem and have a fix for it?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>
    >> No, It is doing the same thing to me too, I just re-started TR2 for a
    >> relpay. I updated my Binks stuff and that didn't help. I am not
    >> sure if it's sound related or video. But I too want the FMV's.
    >> Lets both watch this space, as time allows I'll work on this one.
    >> McG.
    >>

    > Hmmm. I think I understood you guys, but I just loaded TR2 on my P4
    > 1.3GHz Hp, using a DVD-RW, with a mad dog FX5200 (nVida G-force
    > something or other), and my game runs fine, no glitches, no sound
    > skips (ahh, it sure was nice to hear Lara's voice saying hmm, or ahh,
    > orugh, and I had to do the hand stand jump ing grab up the cave
    > blocks in the Great wall). Anyway, no problems, except for my clumsy
    > jumping skills ^_^. I let the install wizard do it all, only prob is
    > that as usual, tho it recognizes my Wingman cordless game pad, I can
    > only look at the passport, not open it, so I have to use the
    > keyboard. Am I any help??
    > Inu-Yasha
    > Feh!!

    What operating system you use?
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    >> "Plugh" <xyzzy@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> I installed and have been playing TR2 on my xp pro sp2 (p4 3.0ghz)
    >>> box. The game plays fine. However, during startup when displaying
    >>> the EIDOS screen the sound begins skipping continuously and the
    >>> video frame gets stuck until I press escape. The same happens on
    >>> any of the FMV movie sequences. All other aspects of the game
    >>> appear to
    >>> work fine including music during gameplay.
    >>>
    >>> I haven't been able to find anything related to this problem on
    >>> tombraiderchronicles or any of the other popular tomb raider sites.
    >>> Has anyone here run across this problem and have a fix for it?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>
    >> No, It is doing the same thing to me too, I just re-started TR2 for a
    >> relpay. I updated my Binks stuff and that didn't help. I am not
    >> sure if it's sound related or video. But I too want the FMV's.
    >> Lets both watch this space, as time allows I'll work on this one.
    >> McG.
    >>

    > Oh, forgot to say, I let it play all the way through the intros until
    > Lara slides down into the cave, even looked at the helicopeter
    > overfly, w/good sound also.
    >
    > Inu-Yasha
    > Feh!!

    The heli thing works, the FMVs don't. the Great Wall stuff works, the
    two tigers and all that work. Maybe it is something with the drives...
    McG.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Rex Reynolds" <r.c.reynolds@REMOVETHISworldnet.att.net> wrote in
    message news:EGATd.278356$w62.49678@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
    >> "Rex Reynolds" <r.c.reynolds@REMOVETHISworldnet.att.net> wrote in
    >> message news:QLoTd.73393$Th1.11231@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
    >>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> I'm thinking that it isn't a problem with win xp specifically more
    >>> like a glitch with the game, and how it reads the cd. but then tr2
    >>> has given me probs in the past with cd drives.
    >>> rex
    >>
    >> In that case, I think I'll have to dig up the old no-cd thing. I
    >> don't have a CD Rom. I have a DVD-RW. That seems to toss a spanner
    >> into a few older things. Thanks for the memory jog there Rex, I'd
    >> forgotten all about the CD drive issues.
    >> McG.
    >>
    > us older folks (and/or those with 'crs') need to stick together and
    > jog each others memory :-)
    > rex

    Oh, I definitely have the occasional bout with CRS :) I'll look at a
    few things now and see what is.
    McG.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > Plugh wrote:
    >>
    >> I installed and have been playing TR2 on my xp pro sp2 (p4 3.0ghz)
    >> box. The game plays fine. However, during startup when displaying
    >> the EIDOS screen the sound begins skipping continuously and the
    >> video frame gets stuck until I press escape. The same happens on
    >> any of the FMV movie sequences. All other aspects of the game
    >> appear to work fine including music during gameplay.
    >>
    >> I haven't been able to find anything related to this problem on
    >> tombraiderchronicles or any of the other popular tomb raider sites.
    >> Has anyone here run across this problem and have a fix for it?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >
    > I don't know if this would help narrow it down, but have
    > you tried playing any of the FMV's by themselves (from the
    > CD) using RAD's Bink player?
    >
    > My guess is that if they play fine that way, it's probably
    > some setting related to the game. If not, it's probably
    > something with XP or maybe the hardware drivers.
    >
    > -- G

    Ah, but the Binks stuff that TR2 uses comes on the cd, thats what it
    installs and uses. I can run the old fmv's with the newer Binks player.
    McG.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    McGrandpa wrote:

    > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > > Plugh wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I installed and have been playing TR2 on my xp pro sp2 (p4 3.0ghz)
    > >> box. The game plays fine. However, during startup when displaying
    > >> the EIDOS screen the sound begins skipping continuously and the
    > >> video frame gets stuck until I press escape. The same happens on
    > >> any of the FMV movie sequences. All other aspects of the game
    > >> appear to work fine including music during gameplay.
    > >>
    > >> I haven't been able to find anything related to this problem on
    > >> tombraiderchronicles or any of the other popular tomb raider sites.
    > >> Has anyone here run across this problem and have a fix for it?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks!
    > >
    > > I don't know if this would help narrow it down, but have
    > > you tried playing any of the FMV's by themselves (from the
    > > CD) using RAD's Bink player?
    > >
    > > My guess is that if they play fine that way, it's probably
    > > some setting related to the game. If not, it's probably
    > > something with XP or maybe the hardware drivers.
    > >
    > > -- G
    >
    > Ah, but the Binks stuff that TR2 uses comes on the cd, thats what it
    > installs and uses. I can run the old fmv's with the newer Binks player.
    > McG.

    I'd be surprised if you couldn't. Are you suggesting the Binks
    player that came on the CD may not play the FMV's correctly, but
    the newer version will? Seems unlikely, since the FMV's were made
    to work with the player version on the CD... unless there's some
    compatibility difference between the two versions and XP.

    You're running XP, aren't you? Do you see any FMV problems in TR 2?

    -- G
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > McGrandpa wrote:
    >>
    >> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

    >>> I don't know if this would help narrow it down, but have
    >>> you tried playing any of the FMV's by themselves (from the
    >>> CD) using RAD's Bink player?
    >>>
    >>> My guess is that if they play fine that way, it's probably
    >>> some setting related to the game. If not, it's probably
    >>> something with XP or maybe the hardware drivers.
    >>>
    >>> -- G
    >>
    >> Ah, but the Binks stuff that TR2 uses comes on the cd, thats what it
    >> installs and uses. I can run the old fmv's with the newer Binks
    >> player. McG.
    >
    > I'd be surprised if you couldn't. Are you suggesting the Binks
    > player that came on the CD may not play the FMV's correctly, but
    > the newer version will? Seems unlikely, since the FMV's were made
    > to work with the player version on the CD... unless there's some
    > compatibility difference between the two versions and XP.
    >
    > You're running XP, aren't you? Do you see any FMV problems in TR 2?
    >
    > -- G

    Yes, another persons problem with the FMV's in tr2 is what prompted my
    entry into this thread. I do have problems with the FMV's playing in
    TR2. BUT, I seem able to play the game so far.
    McG.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >> McGrandpa wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

    >>> Ah, but the Binks stuff that TR2 uses comes on the cd, thats what it
    >>> installs and uses. I can run the old fmv's with the newer Binks
    >>> player. McG.
    >>
    >> I'd be surprised if you couldn't. Are you suggesting the Binks
    >> player that came on the CD may not play the FMV's correctly, but
    >> the newer version will? Seems unlikely, since the FMV's were made
    >> to work with the player version on the CD... unless there's some
    >> compatibility difference between the two versions and XP.
    >>
    >> You're running XP, aren't you? Do you see any FMV problems in TR 2?
    >>
    >> -- G
    >
    > Yes, another persons problem with the FMV's in tr2 is what prompted my
    > entry into this thread. I do have problems with the FMV's playing in TR2.
    > BUT, I seem able to play the game so far.
    > McG.

    I can play TR2 fine and have no video or sound problems, I mentioned
    elsewhere I have XP home w/SP2. I went ahead and loaded TR3, it plays fine,
    and I didn't think I had any FMV problems, but after finding the first
    secret, my autdio locks on playing the first few notes of the secret music,
    and then keeps repeating it like a stuck record. the same with the sound at
    the rotating menue to load/save/exit game. I got the repeating noise to go
    away somehow, but it comes back if the game forces it (i.e. another secret).
    I have no clue what might be wrong, is there a fundimental sound playback
    difference between TR2 and TR3? ^_^

    Inu-Yasha
    Feh!!
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    User Inu-Yasha wrote:

    > I went ahead and loaded TR3, it plays fine,
    > and I didn't think I had any FMV problems, but after finding the first
    > secret, my autdio locks on playing the first few notes of the secret music,
    > and then keeps repeating it like a stuck record. the same with the sound at
    > the rotating menue to load/save/exit game. I got the repeating noise to go
    > away somehow, but it comes back if the game forces it (i.e. another secret).
    > I have no clue what might be wrong, is there a fundimental sound playback
    > difference between TR2 and TR3? ^_^

    I had the same problem with TR3, and I solved it by applying 1.1 patch.

    Quote:
    "Now you can copy the AUDIO folder from the CD (the CDAUDIO.WAD) to the
    directory that you installed the game to. This can enhance game play as
    the CD-ROM drive will not be accessed to load the music tracks. You will
    need about 270 megs free on the disk where the game is installed."

    http://support.eidosinteractive.com/GI/CustomerSupport/FaqSearchResults.jsp?problemType=13&searchText=&game=135&platform=3
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:43:28 GMT, Gary Mitchell
    <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote:

    >Plugh wrote:
    >>
    >> I installed and have been playing TR2 on my xp pro sp2 (p4 3.0ghz) box. The
    >> game plays fine. However, during startup when displaying the EIDOS screen
    >> the sound begins skipping continuously and the video frame gets stuck until
    >> I press escape. The same happens on any of the FMV movie sequences. All
    >> other aspects of the game appear to work fine including music during
    >> gameplay.
    >>
    >> I haven't been able to find anything related to this problem on
    >> tombraiderchronicles or any of the other popular tomb raider sites. Has
    >> anyone here run across this problem and have a fix for it?

    Have you already checked this site:
    Tomb Raider I / Tomb Raider II Sold Out Sound FAQ
    See http://www.tombraiderhub.com/tr1/trso_sound.html

    --
    Best regards
    Klaus Petrat

    > Have you already checked this site:
    > Tomb Raider I / Tomb Raider II Sold Out Sound FAQ
    > See http://www.tombraiderhub.com/tr1/trso_sound.html

    Thanks...but Yes. That's an issue related to music during the game. That's
    not the problem being discussed in this thread.

    >>> All
    >>> other aspects of the game appear to work fine including music during
    >>> gameplay.

    All the sound tracks are there and working. The issue is with FMV playback.
    The stuck audio (and video) happens to occur during the FMV.

    --Plugh
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    McGrandpa wrote:

    > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > > McGrandpa wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

    > >> Ah, but the Binks stuff that TR2 uses comes on the cd, thats what it
    > >> installs and uses. I can run the old fmv's with the newer Binks
    > >> player. McG.
    > >
    > > I'd be surprised if you couldn't. Are you suggesting the Binks
    > > player that came on the CD may not play the FMV's correctly, but
    > > the newer version will? Seems unlikely, since the FMV's were made
    > > to work with the player version on the CD... unless there's some
    > > compatibility difference between the two versions and XP.
    > >
    > > You're running XP, aren't you? Do you see any FMV problems in TR 2?
    > >
    > > -- G
    >
    > Yes, another persons problem with the FMV's in tr2 is what prompted my
    > entry into this thread. I do have problems with the FMV's playing in
    > TR2. BUT, I seem able to play the game so far.
    > McG.

    You were never able to fixed it?
    Yet another black mark for XP, huh?

    -- G
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > You were never able to fixed it?
    > Yet another black mark for XP, huh?

    I have XP pro / sp2 on two machines, the FMV's work on one
    (a 2ghz box) and not on the other (a 3.4ghz box).
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Are you sure that's legal? Couldn't you try creating an ISO image from
    the CD or something?

    -Chris

    McGrandpa wrote:
    > "Geno" <gene.williams@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Rex Reynolds" <r.c.reynolds@REMOVETHISworldnet.att.net> wrote in
    >>>message news:QLoTd.73393$Th1.11231@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net

    >>>In that case, I think I'll have to dig up the old no-cd thing. I
    >>>don't have a CD Rom. I have a DVD-RW. That seems to toss a spanner
    >>>into a few older things. Thanks for the memory jog there Rex, I'd
    >>>forgotten all about the CD drive issues.
    >>>McG.
    >>>

    >>I have this same problem with TR3 on my XP home edition. Elaborate a
    >>little McG, what is "the old no-cd thing"? A patch? A copy method to
    >>to the hard drive?
    >>TIA
    >

    > www.gamecopyworld.com
    >
    > select a mirror, over on the right select PC Games, select T from the
    > alphabet, scroll down to find Tombraider, follow instructions :) It's
    > easy enough. HIH
    > McG.

  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Chris Spencer" <chris.spencer93@.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Are you sure that's legal? Couldn't you try creating an ISO image from the
    > CD or something?
    >
    > -Chris
    >
    > McGrandpa wrote:
    >> "Geno" <gene.williams@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>>I have this same problem with TR3 on my XP home edition. Elaborate a
    >>>little McG, what is "the old no-cd thing"? A patch? A copy method to
    >>>to the hard drive?
    >>>TIA
    >>

    >> www.gamecopyworld.com
    >>
    >> select a mirror, over on the right select PC Games, select T from the
    >> alphabet, scroll down to find Tombraider, follow instructions :) It's
    >> easy enough. HIH
    >> McG.
    Near as I remember, and ISO image is not a hard drive usable copy of the
    disk, it is just a 'snap-shot' of the CD contents (so to speak) that you are
    suppose to be able to write to a new disk as an exact copy. More illegal I
    imageine than modifying the files on the hard drive to fool it into thinking
    it's reading from the CD. ^_^ Actually, I thought (but I'm probably out of
    date), that the CD trick only worked for TR1, and some few levels of TR2. I
    need to search back and find your link to the source. (O_O)

    Inu-Yasha
    Feh!!
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "Inu-Yasha" >> "Chris Spencer" typed:

    >> Are you sure that's legal? Couldn't you try creating
    >> an ISO image from the CD or something?
    >
    > Near as I remember, and ISO image is not a hard drive
    > usable copy of the disk, it is just a 'snap-shot' of
    > the CD contents (so to speak) that you are suppose to
    > be able to write to a new disk as an exact copy.

    However, you *can* use a nifty program like Daemon Tools
    (freeware) to make the ISO image a virtual disc drive (say,
    drive "V:"). Then you install the game from "V:" drive, and
    can play it without the CD.

    [1] http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php

    As far as the game knows, the CD *is* in the drive ("V:"), but
    in actual fact the game is running off the HD. This method is
    perfect for games that do not support a "full-install"; also
    great for games (such as TR4) that typically spin the CD at
    full-speed during game-play, often making jet engine noises,
    because running off the HD is *silent* :)

    > More illegal I imageine than modifying the files on
    > the hard drive to fool it into thinking it's reading
    > from the CD. ^_^

    No, think of it as a backup. ;) I could be wrong, but I think
    a backup for personal (non-commercial) use is allowed under
    the licenses of most software.

    };> Matt v3.2 <:{
    --
    Total lemmings saved: 10508
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    Yeah, maybe you should read the EULA

    mec'devil wrote:
    > "Inu-Yasha" >> "Chris Spencer" typed:
    >

    >>>Are you sure that's legal? Couldn't you try creating
    >>>an ISO image from the CD or something?
    >>
    >>Near as I remember, and ISO image is not a hard drive
    >>usable copy of the disk, it is just a 'snap-shot' of
    >>the CD contents (so to speak) that you are suppose to
    >>be able to write to a new disk as an exact copy.
    >

    > However, you *can* use a nifty program like Daemon Tools
    > (freeware) to make the ISO image a virtual disc drive (say,
    > drive "V:"). Then you install the game from "V:" drive, and
    > can play it without the CD.
    >
    > [1] http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php
    >
    > As far as the game knows, the CD *is* in the drive ("V:"), but
    > in actual fact the game is running off the HD. This method is
    > perfect for games that do not support a "full-install"; also
    > great for games (such as TR4) that typically spin the CD at
    > full-speed during game-play, often making jet engine noises,
    > because running off the HD is *silent* :)
    >

    >>More illegal I imageine than modifying the files on
    >>the hard drive to fool it into thinking it's reading
    >>from the CD. ^_^
    >

    > No, think of it as a backup. ;) I could be wrong, but I think
    > a backup for personal (non-commercial) use is allowed under
    > the licenses of most software.
    >

    > };> Matt v3.2 <:{
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    "mec'devil" <delusions@fools.paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    > "Inu-Yasha" >> "Chris Spencer" typed:
    >
    >>> Are you sure that's legal? Couldn't you try creating
    >>> an ISO image from the CD or something?
    >>
    >> Near as I remember, and ISO image is not a hard drive
    >> usable copy of the disk, it is just a 'snap-shot' of
    >> the CD contents (so to speak) that you are suppose to
    >> be able to write to a new disk as an exact copy.
    >
    > However, you *can* use a nifty program like Daemon Tools
    > (freeware) to make the ISO image a virtual disc drive (say,
    > drive "V:"). Then you install the game from "V:" drive, and
    > can play it without the CD.
    >
    > [1] http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php
    >
    > As far as the game knows, the CD *is* in the drive ("V:"), but
    > in actual fact the game is running off the HD. This method is
    > perfect for games that do not support a "full-install"; also
    > great for games (such as TR4) that typically spin the CD at
    > full-speed during game-play, often making jet engine noises,
    > because running off the HD is *silent* :)
    >
    >> More illegal I imageine than modifying the files on
    >> the hard drive to fool it into thinking it's reading
    >> from the CD. ^_^
    >
    > No, think of it as a backup. ;) I could be wrong, but I think
    > a backup for personal (non-commercial) use is allowed under
    > the licenses of most software.
    >

    > };> Matt v3.2 <:{
    > --
    > Total lemmings saved: 10508

    I believe you are correct on all points. I didn't know of the Daemon Tools
    fool the program method, I stand corrected. As for backups, EULA or not, I
    think courts have found a backup of software owned is legal. Not certain
    about the running CD player for TR4, but TR3 I thought does a full install,
    just checks the CD to make certain it's not a copy. I think I was able to
    make a backup copy using clone CD for TR3m cause I have a copy that works as
    well as my original. ^_^

    Inu-Yasha
    Feh!!
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    I know that this thread is getting a little old, but I just wanted to say
    thanks McG. You got me started in a new direction. That Alcohol 120% program
    is great. It solves a lot of the problems that I was having running my older
    games on my XP machine.

    --

    > "Geno" <gene.williams@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
    > > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> "Rex Reynolds" <r.c.reynolds@REMOVETHISworldnet.att.net> wrote in
    > >> message news:QLoTd.73393$Th1.11231@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net

    > >> In that case, I think I'll have to dig up the old no-cd thing. I
    > >> don't have a CD Rom. I have a DVD-RW. That seems to toss a spanner
    > >> into a few older things. Thanks for the memory jog there Rex, I'd
    > >> forgotten all about the CD drive issues.
    > >> McG.
    > >>

    > > I have this same problem with TR3 on my XP home edition. Elaborate a
    > > little McG, what is "the old no-cd thing"? A patch? A copy method to
    > > to the hard drive?
    > > TIA
    >
    > www.gamecopyworld.com
    >
    > select a mirror, over on the right select PC Games, select T from the
    > alphabet, scroll down to find Tombraider, follow instructions :) It's
    > easy enough. HIH
    > McG.

  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

    > I know that this thread is getting a little old, but I just wanted to
    > say thanks McG. You got me started in a new direction. That Alcohol
    > 120% program is great. It solves a lot of the problems that I was
    > having running my older games on my XP machine.

    Hm. I haven't tried that one yet. I think I'll look it up! Glad to
    have helped somewhere! :)
    McG.

    > "Don't believe everything that you -- think."
    >> "Geno" <gene.williams@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
    >>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> I have this same problem with TR3 on my XP home edition. Elaborate a
    >>> little McG, what is "the old no-cd thing"? A patch? A copy method to
    >>> to the hard drive?
    >>> TIA
    >>
    >> www.gamecopyworld.com
    >>
    >> select a mirror, over on the right select PC Games, select T from the
    >> alphabet, scroll down to find Tombraider, follow instructions :)
    >> It's easy enough. HIH
    >> McG.

Games Windows XP Video Games