Can't create new primary partitions, only logical drives. ..

Hi there!

I've been trying for the past hours to delete two logical drives so as to
obtain some unallocated space that I could (in theory) transform into two new
and shinny primary drives, on which I wish to reinstall XP, one as my main
partition, the other to try out new programs.

Of course, things didn't work out that way!

So, now I'm stuck with my system on a logical drive (C:) {Boot},

some free space which I can only turn into a new logical drive

and my data on another primary partition without Windows on it, but still
saying (E:) {System}

Whenever I try using Fdisk from a floppy to create new partitions, they
always show-up as logical drives...

Any ideas? The worst thing is that I've done this many times in the past and
can't figure out what I'm missing today!

Thanks,

Eric
1 answer Last reply
More about create primary partitions logical drives

    Djanighan, you have to first delete all the logical drives in the extended
    partition. Then you delete the extended partition. If
    you do not remove the extended partition then you will constantly windup
    making logical drives.
    "Djaighan" <Djaighan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there!
    >
    > I've been trying for the past hours to delete two logical drives so as to
    > obtain some unallocated space that I could (in theory) transform into two
    > new
    > and shinny primary drives, on which I wish to reinstall XP, one as my main
    > partition, the other to try out new programs.
    >
    > Of course, things didn't work out that way!
    >
    > So, now I'm stuck with my system on a logical drive (C:) {Boot},
    >
    > some free space which I can only turn into a new logical drive
    >
    > and my data on another primary partition without Windows on it, but still
    > saying (E:) {System}
    >
    > Whenever I try using Fdisk from a floppy to create new partitions, they
    > always show-up as logical drives...
    >
    > Any ideas? The worst thing is that I've done this many times in the past
    > and
    > can't figure out what I'm missing today!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Eric

Configuration Windows XP