Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Should I Upgrade from E5300 to E8400 ?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 11, 2010 11:20:36 PM

Good day,

A guy offered me his 8 months old E8400 for $88 or Php 4,000, I am currently using E5300 running @ 3.5GHz. I would like to ask you guys if should I buy the E8400 or should I stick with the E5300 and wait till I'm able to purchase a C2Q?

Many thanks in advance... :) 

More about : upgrade e5300 e8400

a c 203 à CPUs
August 11, 2010 11:23:36 PM

I think you should stick with your 3.5Ghz E5300.
Paying $88 for a 4.0Ghz E8400 is not a good value for the Php and it will just delay when you're able to switch over to a new system.

And I'd bypass the C2Q and start saving for the newer AM3 or Core i quad cores anyway.
Score
0
August 11, 2010 11:33:30 PM

WR2 said:
I think you should stick with your 3.5Ghz E5300.
Paying $88 for a 4.0Ghz E8400 is not a good value for the Php and it will just delay when you're able to switch over to a new system.

And I'd bypass the C2Q and start saving for the newer AM3 or Core i quad cores anyway.



Good point there WR2, I think I should save up for a Core i series and sell my 775 RIG... :) 

Any other opinions there guys...? coz im about to SMS the seller of the E8400... :) 

Your ideas would be very much appreciated....
Score
0
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2010 11:37:11 PM

you will not notice any differences bro, no point you already have the same amount of cores and a fantastic overclock - wait until amd's new cpus arrive then decide what to do with this system, any money spent now is a waste.
Score
0
August 11, 2010 11:54:39 PM

amirp said:
you will not notice any differences bro, no point you already have the same amount of cores and a fantastic overclock - wait until amd's new cpus arrive then decide what to do with this system, any money spent now is a waste.



Ur Right, Im running at a Faster Clock of the Stock of E8400 and not to think Im stable at 3.6GHz also... hehehe... Tnx amirp.. :) 


1 or 2 more ideas... To Buy or not to Buy... BTW "IF I BUY THE E8400, " IM Gonna be selling my E5300 @ half the price of the E8400 :) 


as of now Im on 30% to buy and 70% not to buy... :) 
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 12:10:47 AM

well in that case if your only spending a net of $40 then why not... assuming $40 isnt too much money . plus you will have fun lol but i would say find a q6600 or something

the only difference between E8400 and E5300 other than the clock speed (assuming you overclock the 8400 more than what you have) is the 6mb of L2 cache on the E8400 vs 2mb on the E5300
its up to you if you wana spend 40 , in the end just know it wont be a big jump
Score
0
August 12, 2010 12:14:06 AM

Thanks for the info guys... I have decided NOT TO BUY... :D  I'll just save it for a new core i series... :D 
Score
0
a c 203 à CPUs
August 12, 2010 12:18:40 AM

Core i5/i7, AMD X4 965 and X6 1055T... plus almost time for AMD Bulldozer and Intel Sandy Bridge.
Lots of tasty choices out now and more on the way I think.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 12:26:14 AM

You will notice a substantial difference I am not sure what ^^^ are talking about. Larger cache as well as easily overclockable to 3.6 on stock voltage is not to be frowned upon. If you only want to upgrade the cpu you will notice a difference. If you plan on building a completely new rig then save. My E8500 still rocks the socks off of anything I throw at it.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 1:29:52 AM

his cpu is already 3.5 ghz if it was stock it would be a diff story,
let me put it this way: if any of your games are not running smoothly right now , a change to E8400 will not change that. unless you are cpu limited with some crazy gpus
Score
0
August 12, 2010 1:34:47 AM

This is my RIG... : E5300 @ 3.5Ghz, 8800GT Sonic, 4x1gb DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2 @450 , ASUS P5Q the vanilla edition. I guess my downside here is my GPU... Planning to get the GTX460... :) 
Score
0
a c 81 à CPUs
August 12, 2010 1:51:22 AM

If you are getting the E8400 for 40$ then i'd suggest you to go ahead and get it.. You'll probably get a higher price later when you decide to sell it along with your rig..
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 2:20:33 AM

amirp said:
his cpu is already 3.5 ghz if it was stock it would be a diff story,
let me put it this way: if any of your games are not running smoothly right now , a change to E8400 will not change that. unless you are cpu limited with some crazy gpus


So untrue..

E8400 has much larger cache. An E8400 @ 3.5 would blow away an E5300 @ 3.5.

Case in point:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/98?vs=62

The E5300 actually runs at a higher frequency than a E7200 but gets DESTROYED in games.

Now lets look at an E5300 vs. E8400

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/98?vs=56

Granted these are stock speeds on the second bench.


Bro - listen to ME. Trust ME. Upgrade that CPU it will be worth your while.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 203 à CPUs
August 12, 2010 2:54:52 AM

It's not worth the $88 he was quoted.

When you crank up the eye-candy graphics and increase the screen resolution the OC'ing, the cache and nbr of cores isn't as important as the GPU power.



Even when you toss hex cores into the mix with duals and quads

Battlefield Bad Company 2, a game known to be happy using six cores with HD 5870 AA/AF on and highest graphics settings.




Share
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 3:35:24 AM

let me clarify, i said if it is me and it was a $40 upgrade i would do it for fun look a couple posts back,

although the E8400 is better clock for clock (i never argued otherwise), with an 8800gt it doesn't put him into a playable performance if he doesn't already have playable performance with the E5300. It is not going to make any difference at the high settings he wants to play at. Those anandtech benches are so useless because they use an over powered gpu and then obviously the rest depends on the cpu at low/med settings which they test at. The charts above show the real story more or less that at high settings the cpu will keep up and the gpu will become limiting.

Read toms new article on how to build a balanced system and look at the conclusion in every single article. A graphic card as lowly as the 8800gt even up to the gtx285/4890 (about on par with gtx 460 op plans to get) gains a very low amount of performance in most games when moving up to even an i7 from the most mainstream cpu's
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 3:40:44 AM

Ah I did not see he had an 8800GT since both of you were saying not to get it before he even said what video card he had.

Even then, why not upgrade. You have to upgrade you video card anyway. You will save a hell of a lot of money by switching the 2 now.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 3:56:29 AM

because he can do things step by step in bigger jumps instead of little ones, like me, im going to buy a 6000series ati in a couple months (fingers crossed it releases soon) and right now i have a Q6600 at 3.0 and once the new bulldozer amd cpus come out ill build a new pc (assuming they are good...). Now if i was foolish and i sold my q6600 right now for lets say a Q9550 or something sure it would be better but what would that gain me other than lost dollars and more money invested into a dead socket, for maybe a 10percent upgrade?
so even if the op had his gtx 460 the smart thing to do is just hold off until a bigger jump is available to him (these are all my opinions by the way - not to be rude we are both right really)
Score
0
a c 702 à CPUs
August 12, 2010 4:44:23 AM

Emperus said:
If you are getting the E8400 for 40$ then i'd suggest you to go ahead and get it.. You'll probably get a higher price later when you decide to sell it along with your rig..


^^^this. Only if you are for certain you can sell your current CPU. Otherwise, I say just wait and save your money for a new rig.
Score
0
August 19, 2010 7:19:31 AM

TO ALL:

Tnx for your replies Guys... As of now im still using my E5300 and I'm saving for a Core i series RIG... or... I'll be getting the 5850 or GTX 460... :D 
Score
0
August 29, 2010 10:34:32 AM

Best answer selected by xoier.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2010 11:45:03 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!