Sign in with
Your question

My 6GB of DDR3 Ram is benchmarking wayyy below other's 3 and 4gb. Huh?

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 12, 2010 12:10:42 AM

I ran several tests of Performancetest 7.0 and I keep getting low numbers on my RAM.

I have:
AMD Athlon II X3 440 Triple Core
Windows 7 64-bit
6 GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GT
2, 160GB SATA HDD's set up in RAID 0
1 75GB IDE HDD
.... more info if you think it'd be helpful
(The RAM is 2 sticks of Corsair CM3X 1024, and 2 sticks of ASint 2GB)

What I can't understand is my memory is all clocked to 667 MHz (whatever that means) and the stickers on all four sticks (2 at 2GB and 2 at 1GB) all say 1333 somewhere in the numbers. Does this account for the slow benchmark scores?

If it's helpful, here's the numbers:
Memory Mark: 310.5
Memory - Allocate Small Block 778.4
Memory- Read Cached 347.6
Memory- Read Uncached 349.3
Memory- Write 787.6
Memory- Large RAM 787.6

These numbers are very low compared to similar specs on other computers that uploaded their scores, and they aren't even as good as my wife's P4 3.4 GHz w/ 32-bit XP, and 4 GB (3.25 recognized) RAM.

My wife and I have roughly the same apps running (av, spyware, keyscrambler, firewall, etc.), so how in the heck are my numbers so dang low?

On a completely unrelated note, I purchased this computer used, and the remote control access was on. That's not a default, is it? I ran Malwarebytes, Avast, and turned on Comodo Firewall... I didn't see anything wrong with any of them. But should I be worried? I don't want to format.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 12, 2010 12:20:22 AM

And strangely enough, my Windows Experience Index rated my Memory/RAM at a 7.2 on a 7.9 scale.that's gotta be really high, right? So that makes me even more weirded out at the benchmark scores.
m
l
August 12, 2010 12:36:13 AM

The amount of RAM doesn't matter in that benchmark IIRC, theres also a possibility youre running them in single channel mode, check CPUz and see. There is a high possibility you probably just have slower RAM than others, what are your timings?

FOr DDRX RAM you multiply the clock by 2 to get the actual clock, so 1333 ram run at 667Mhz, 1600 ram run at 800Mhz and so on.

Finally, Remote Control? As in remote desktop? Did you do a clean installation of the OS when you bought it? Just turn it off.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 12, 2010 12:52:02 AM

I just downloaded CPU-z and it says "Type DDR3, Channels # Dual, Size 6144, DC Mode Unganged, NB Frequency 2000.1MHz"
Timings:
DRAM Frequency: 666.7 MHz
FSB:D RAM 3:10
CAS# Latency (CL) 9.0 Clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 9 Clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 9 Clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 24 Clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 33 Clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T

I also forgot to mention that my Mobo is a BIOSTAR A770E3

And I don't have a windows disk, so a format would be hard to do. And this RAID 0 stuff has me confused as to how I would format. Yeah, I meant Remote desktop. It was on after he did the clean install even though he installed it before I arrived to pay for it. He seemed like a genuinely good guy, though, so I don't think he'd put any keyloggers or anything on. I was just wondering why remote destop was on, b/c it's default is off, right? Anyway, thanks for your direction so far.
m
l
August 12, 2010 3:21:36 AM

Your mixing two different types of RAM, that's a big no-no.
m
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 12, 2010 3:45:45 AM

How can you tell that I'm mixing two different types? You mean manufacturers?
m
l
August 12, 2010 3:51:03 AM

liezryou said:
Your mixing two different types of RAM, that's a big no-no.

Its not that bad, he does have 2 identical with the same specs and the worst outcome is the extra 2GB running in single channel mode.

To test however, try running a benchmark with only one set of RAM and see.

On the remote desktop issue, I doubt he did anything, probably he kept his old configuration or did an ghost install, it the scans came out clean, just turn it off and don't worry about it.
m
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 12, 2010 4:07:08 AM

Thanks, Timop. Both of the pairs of memory are ddr3 1333, so is there another spec for ram that I should look at? The CPU-z said I was in Dual mode, and on the motherboard it says "dual channel ddr3"

Here is the set of 2 (1GB each) that I have closest to the cpu (does position even matter?):
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/05/28/corsair_cm3...
(they look like the one in the top left of the four pics, and the article says they're dual channel)

I can't find the pair of "ASint DDR3 2GB 1333" specs online.
m
l
!