Solved

Need Review/Advice on 1st Build

Hi all,

I'm currently working on my first system build. I want to create a mid-high end gaming system/media system, and I've researched and here's what I've come up with:

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

LG UH10LS20 Blu-ray Disc Combo Internal SATA 10x SuperMulti Blue LightScribe

XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W ATX12V 2.2 / ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power ...

Total comes to $1,164.91.
I'd like to make that total $1000, as I set that as my limit. What could I remove/downgrade in order to make that price cut without greatly compromising my system's quality. Downgrade the CPU to a Athlon II? Not sure, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

~Jim
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need review advice build
  1. The XFX HD 5870 and XFX PSU are the combo deal right?
    Already have a HDD you're going to carry forward?

Going with the X3 435 and your M4A89GTD gives you a chance at ending up with a X4 955 and saves ~$75. And if you don't get lucky and get the 4th core unlocked and stable it's not a bad combo anyway.

About the only way I see to slip under your budget is going with a HD 5850 and the X3 435/440.
  2. Antec Three Hundred Illusion case $55 drops the cost another $35. Still a good gaming case.
  3. you dont need a Mobo with HDMI - your GFX card should have this. You can find a mobo model w/o HDMI with the features you want like USB3, SATA. Might drop the price more.

Case - get a cheap one - its whats inside the case that counts. Upgrade the case at a later date, when you have spare moolah. Or get a nice case second hand off ebay/etc cheaper.

If you want to OverClock the CPU and RAM (since you're buying stuff that is OC-able) you will need to look into cooling. ie CPU heatsink+fan and case fans.
  4. or skip the Win7 disc *shifty eyes*

(disclaimer - i mean use an old win version)
  5. I changed the case to an Antec Illusion and I'm going to gamble with the X3 435.
    I have $40 left to drop from my price. Your point is definitely a good one nathanbarlow, I'd be fine dropping my mobo to a less beefed up version. I'd like it to have USB3 and SATA capabilities, the ability to unlock my X3 435's fourth core, and I'd like it to be 6 core compatible so that I can eventually upgrade my CPU when I get more dough. What mobo would you recommend?

Thanks a lot for the help,
    ~Jim
  6. If you can drop the Blu-Ray drive you could still fit the HD 5870 option in the planned budget.
    How locked in is the Blu-Ray requirement? You could always add that in later.
  7. Okay, changed it up again. Thanks for the windows 7 tip ;P...I am a college student and I can get a copy for $25. So...crossed that off the list. I do have an HDD that I'll be carrying over from my last PC.

Here's what I'm looking at now:

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX

LG UH10LS20 Blu-ray Disc Combo Internal SATA 10x SuperMulti Blue LightScribe

XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W ATX12V 2.2 / ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power ...

Total: $974 + Windows 7

What do you think? Well balanced and eventually upgradeable?
  8. Best answer selected by cejames.
  9. Best answer
    I say that qualifies as well balanced.
    Don't think you'd need any upgrades except maybe a video card refresh 18-24 months out.
    Nice job.
  10. Thanks for all of the help WR2 and Timop, greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to getting these parts and putting my rig together!

Best of luck,
    ~Jim
  11. Can you squeeze in a CPU cooler? @ Provantage CM Hyper 212+ $21.13
  12. I think I can handle that, it'd definitely take some stress off of my system. Good idea, thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product