E8400 High Idle Tempreture

xy0n28

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Hey All,

I'm currently set up with a stock e8400 with a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler. I was never concerned with CPU temps before, but I recently got the idea to try to start overclocking, and I noticed my readings with Real Temp while my PC being idle was 50°C; and close to 67°C when I run the Prime 95 sensory test on Real Temps.

I did some reading and saw my temps were waaaay too hot, even for an e8400 on stock cooling.

Thus, is there any way I can fix this? What are the usual causes for such a high idle temp? Is it safe to ignore and try to overclock my processor anyway? And at what temp should I start to worry about my processor melting or something?

I am a computer novice so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 217926

That is crazy hot. You may need to reseat your heatsink. You also need to reapply thermal paste when you do.
Overclocked to 3.6 I idle at 28/29C and hardly ever go over the mid 50s even at load for hours. I think your cooler is actually higher rated than mine too.

I think that you can get the Xig with either push-pin mounting or a backing plate. If your cooler uses push-pin mounting, make sure it is mounted correctly.

What kind of case do you have? A case with poor airflow through it will not remove the heat that the cooler extracts from the CPU.

Last, what's the ambient air temp?

I ran P95 on my E8400 at stock for 6 hours few days ago and my cores barely crossed 20 deg! When i boot my PC shows 7 deg on both the cores on real temp. Is this normal?

@OP: I think your TIM has dried up. Get a new TIM and reapply.

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
I agree with the rest, that is really hot. I have an E8400 running at 4g with an Artic Freezer Pro and it idles at 27C and never goes above 35C.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
For sure, that is too hot and either your setting temp software is not calibrated properly or your heatsink isn't seated properly or you put too little or too much thermal paste.

Check your mobo BIOS for the CPU fan profile and set it on performance (opposite of quiet or silent mode). Also check the CPU voltage to make sure it's not a case of overvoltage which will increase idle temps.