DIY PC or branded????

warlord1609

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Hello guys,
i just wanted to know which mode of obtaining a gaming pc is better. Either Do-it-yourself or buying a branded pc...?
my budget is about 1600$ to 2000$ at the max. So which option is better..? i do know how to assemble a pc but i just want to know which option is better and WHY????
thanks in advance

Solution
Well considering you just posted in a homebuilt systems forum, you should already know the answer :p

Building it yourself is definitely the best option, you know exactly what goes into the system, have higher quality parts, ability to OC in the future, and much better expandability. The only thing you lose not getting a prebuilt is the crap that comes preinstalled and a tech support phone number, instead we are your tech support, and i might be a bit biased but i think we do a pretty good job.

Especially at your budget building it yourself is best, the high end parts always come with a premium from system builders so you will probably save quite a bit building it yourself compared to what a prebuilt with similar specs would cost.

ramiraf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
If you build your own, you'll be able to get twice the performance for the same price. If you've got the money, then go for the pre-built PCs like Alienware.

Well considering you just posted in a homebuilt systems forum, you should already know the answer :p

Building it yourself is definitely the best option, you know exactly what goes into the system, have higher quality parts, ability to OC in the future, and much better expandability. The only thing you lose not getting a prebuilt is the crap that comes preinstalled and a tech support phone number, instead we are your tech support, and i might be a bit biased but i think we do a pretty good job.

Especially at your budget building it yourself is best, the high end parts always come with a premium from system builders so you will probably save quite a bit building it yourself compared to what a prebuilt with similar specs would cost.

Solution

warlord1609

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Thanks for the replies.. Yeah the answer was pretty obvious when i put in this forum :) but the reason i put this topic here was because of the increasing sales and fame for companies such ah dell, acer, alienware etc. My good buddy recently open his own assembly shop and offered me a job.. So i told him that this would not work as almost everyone in the us knows about computers. But couldn't help wondering why people still buy from branded companies..? Any replies to that please...

warlord1609

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Okay i get it DIY but could you answer this:

" increasing sales and fame for companies such ah dell, acer, alienware etc....But couldn't help wondering why people still buy from branded companies..? Any replies to that please..." :)

Jinx13

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006

As far as Dell and Acer, you just can't build your own low cost machine to match what they sell when you include OS, monitor, mouse and keyboard.

When you are talking about higher end machines, like what most people here use, it gets a bit muddier. I think I speak for most here when I say we would still build our own even if it cost a little more, I know I would. It's just more fun, and makes you feel so much better about your machine. Luckily, it is usually cheaper to piece together our own rigs.

Another reason for prebuilts is a lack of time. Not all of us have the time it takes to build and troubleshoot our own PC.

Me? I'll always build my own.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
I think most of the people who get pre-builts do it because they have somebody that they know will be able to put together something that works and they have some tech support if things go wrong. If someone wants to get a computer but isn't confidant in their ability to put everything together, then they'll go for the big names who do.

Also the time factor. Getting a computer that you just plug in and go compared to putting everything together.