External HDD crashes Windows

I have a friend with a laptop that stopped booting (Vista) and started blue screening with the "Page fault in non-paged area". After troubleshooting I find its the HDD, and decided to try to connect the HDD via my Thermaltake BlackX docking station, connected via USB, to retrieve his files. (I first checked out the memory, then failed to even boot into the Vista setup disc.)

This is where the problem starts, As soon as I connect the drive it crashes Windows 7 about 3 seconds later and if I don't disconnect the drive it wont let my computer boot properly. This HDD was the boot drive for his laptop but considering I have done this type of retrieval before, I don't understand why it is crashing my computer.

I would think it would just connect as a storage drive as they have in the past, regardless of what is on it. Is there some way to set Windows to handle the drive instead of just crashing? Even an error would be nice. In the Storage Manager it is briefly given the drive letter G: and it shows how the disc is partitioned, but again 3 seconds later the computer crashes.

I have tried connecting the dock to both my desktop and laptop, both running Windows 7 Home Premiun 64-bit. Would this work better if I connect it to my older desktop running Windows XP?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Yes, I have tried turning the dock on while in Windows, hot swapping the drive into the dock after Windows connects the empty dock, booting with the dock with drive inserted and not. The empty dock is fine, its when the HDD is connected to it that Windows crashes.

Safe mode is just as bad.

Update: I connected it to my XP machine and actually got to see the folders on the drive before it crashed. However, after the first crash, the crash is now instant when I turn the dock on with the HDD in it.

I also have tried some further things on my laptop in Windows 7, I uninstalled my anti-virus (Trend Micro Titanium IS2012), this got me a few extra seconds before the crash and even a box pops up asking if I want to scan and fix the HDD. However, as soon as I click any option, the computer crashes into a blue screen:

ntfs.sys

Page Fault in Non Paged Area

I further tried a clean boot using MSConfig but this had no effect.