Sign in with
Your question

HIS IceQ H567Q1GD Radeon HD 5670 1GB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 1:53:18 PM

Hi All,

I'm planning a build soon for home/small business use. I would also like to do some video editing. I have had trouble deciding on a video card for two reasons: 1) I want to run Ubuntu; 2) I'm not really a gamer. Most of the reviews and forum comments revolve around windows and gaming.

From my research, I had initially considered the SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100283VXL Radeon HD 5770 1GB

However, I'm not sure I need to put that much $ in a GPU for my setup/needs. Today I saw this one day special at new egg and would appreciate your counsel on using this card instead:

HIS IceQ H567Q1GD Radeon HD 5670 1GB

TIA for your help,

Dave
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 2:07:13 PM

I'm far from an expert on the subject but I believe in general Nvidia has better driver support for linux so you may want to go with one of their cards. I have heard the more recent ATI cards are better supported however so perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the subject can chime in.
Also some video editing/encoding software can use the GPU for calculations through CUDA for Nvidia or Stream for ATI. You should check if your preferred software can do so and if so which it can use before making a decision. If it can't use either than you are correct that a more powerful card wont help you.
!