Will Interface: DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra), run on my system [I need IDE]?

Jul 24, 2011
Hi folks :lol:

The systems that I am running:
Dell Latitude D610
Compaq Evo N610c

If I get a new hd, I need one that has the RAW ide pins available, not a SATA or some peice of plastic over the pins that cannot be removed to expose the pins underneath. Reason: If I switch the hd between my two different model computers, I need to be able to plug in the RAW ide pins to the plastic interface connector that fits onto the pins "before" you put the hd into the laptop.

will a Interface: DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra), run on either of these computer systems, or have RAW ide pins exposed? :heink:

Solution
144 pin SODIMM means that is pretty old single data rate 100MHz RAM. Your best bet is going to be ebay or similar as it is simply not made any more.

Here's Dell's spec page for the c600 and it clearly shows SDR RAM. You can install upto 512MB in two sticks of 256MB as 144 pin 3.3volt SODIMMs at 100MHz speed with CAS latency (CL) 2 or 3 (2 is faster). It is called PC100. It can also buy it configured at the faster speed of 133MHz (called PC133) but, unless the laptop's BIOS will recognise it as such, it will run at the default speed of 100MHz.

On the second hand market you can pick it up fairly cheaply but good luck anyway.

Q

Jul 24, 2011
I just now heard about EIDE.
As far as I knew there was only IDE.
But just recently, I heard that there are now 2 types of hd's: SATA
And then again, now I see there are 3!!!
My gosh, how many different types of hardware are they going to keep coming out with?
Why not just stick to the same one [IDE]? It would make things a whole lot easier!!!!!!!

The Interface is DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra), but it says that it has an EIDE connection.

Is the EIDE physically the same as IDE?

Do they look exactly the same?

Is there a plastic peice around the EIDE so that I might not be able to put a 7 pin adapter on it, or the other one?

Captain Kirk

Jul 24, 2011
jay nar,

I am trying to find the correct RAM.
You know how there is a slot in the card itself on the pin side?

The RAM that I need:
Current RAM: The slot is 1 1/8" from the closest end

Wrong RAM: The slot is 5/8" from the end

Do you know what the difference is between these two types of RAM?
What they are called, and how you can tell the difference?

Captain Kirk

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006

Try this article from

wikipedia

regarding laptop memory modules, especially the picture comparing module sizes and slot placement.

Q

Jul 24, 2011
Flying-Q,
Nice to meet you!

According to the picture diagram of the link that you gave, the distance to the slot appears to be of the DDR3 physical size -- 1 1/8" from the closest end -- but in the computer manual it says that I need DDR2, so I don't understand what is going on.

There is a definite descrepancy between the computer manual and what RAM sticks will actually fit in the computer...

Captain Kirk

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006

This is Dell's own spec page for your laptop and it confirms DDR2

Here

Best bet would be to carefully remove your laptop's memory and take it in an antistatic bag to your local computer shop and physically compare it with the modules on sale there. Also your SODIMM should have a sticker on it with its specs written, or any other printing on the SODIMM. Write them here and I will identify what it is from the info.

Q

Jul 24, 2011
Okay, I figured it out.
I opened up the computer, took out the RAM and wrote down ALL of the numbers. I even wrote down the numbers on the board itself underneath the RAM sticks.
When you go to the Bios, it does not say the motherboard number.
In system information, it says that my computer is a "D600".

But I just used a software program to test the hardware.
The software puts my computer at a C600 instead.
And this makes more sense, since the computer manual for the C600 coincides with the numbers and writing on the RAM sticks, and explains why the D600 DDR2 RAM upgrade does not fit!!!!!!!

I looked on the RAM stick so I know that it is SDRAM and 144 pin, but that is all that I really know.

QUESTION 1
What type of RAM do I use for the Dell Latitude c600? Is it DDR 3? And I want 100 MHz?

QUESTION 2
If I was going to look for new RAM to get, what are the KEY things that I want to look for to make sure that it is matched up correctly?

Example: [So-Dimm, DD2, #MHz] = key vital things to match for getting "correct" RAM

Captain Kirk

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
144 pin SODIMM means that is pretty old single data rate 100MHz RAM. Your best bet is going to be ebay or similar as it is simply not made any more.

Here's Dell's spec page for the c600 and it clearly shows SDR RAM. You can install upto 512MB in two sticks of 256MB as 144 pin 3.3volt SODIMMs at 100MHz speed with CAS latency (CL) 2 or 3 (2 is faster). It is called PC100. It can also buy it configured at the faster speed of 133MHz (called PC133) but, unless the laptop's BIOS will recognise it as such, it will run at the default speed of 100MHz.

On the second hand market you can pick it up fairly cheaply but good luck anyway.

Q

Solution