What to do with some inherited parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So a couple of days ago a buddy and I swapped systems. He wanted a motherboard that used DDR3 and was still socket 775 and could support crossfire. I had such a board and we swapped setups. I did some work on his system and we swapped CPU's as well and memory too. I gave him 2 gigs of Patriot DDR3 and I collected his older corsair XMS2 2x2GB kit of memory. But since I already have 3 nice computers I don't know what I am gonna do with these parts!

I have a core i5 750 w/ Gigabyte P55A and 4 GB of DDR3 1333 for light gaming. It's only running a 550W PSU and a ATi 4890. I have my AMD 1055T (with gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H motherboard) on water cooling and 4 GB of DDR3 1600 and Raid 0 for heavy gaming and it has a 5850 black edition video card and a 650W Corair PSU and finally my Phenom II X3 720 with 8 GB of memory, a GA-790GP-UD4H that at the moment is using a ATi 4770 and being used as a educational system for a friend who wanted to learn 2008 Server. So I have nice computers I think.

So onto what I inherited:

CPU: Intel Quad Core 9650
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Deluxe
Ram: Corsair DDR2 800 XMS2 2x2GB

I build up the system with an older Antec case I had laying around (former housed the gear I traded my buddy for his stuff) and I had a 460W Coolermaster PSU so I know I had to use a relatively mild video card. Thankfully I had a second 4770 laying around. And a spare 500GB Hard drive. So I put it all together and loaded Windows XP on it. So after flashing the BIOS to the newest version, updating that Express Gate SSD the machine has, and using a good cooler on it (a Zalman 9900A LED) and some good compound (AS5, since i have a large supply of it) I am wondering to myself "WTF am I gonna do with this thing!?"

Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking sell it, but I don't think the parts are worth that much, aside from the CPU costing over $300 on newegg at the moment. Like I mentioned I have 3 really nice rigs, this was just thrown together with stuff I had laying around. I just want suggestions and maybe some critiques on what I could do with this rig as it sits. Cash is tight so I can't buy anything for the machine.

Thanks in advance, all!

Solution
How about turn your extra build into a HTPC? See how much you can undervolt that Q9650.

I understand your dilemma. I always have enough old parts laying around to build a whole system that I hate to get rid of just because they're not the latest and greatest. They are plenty fast for any non-enthusiast and it seems like such a waste to put them up on eBay and get next to nothing for them. That Q9650 is no slouch... on Tom's CPU hierarchy chart it is still listed in the top-most tier with the big boys.

What I usually do is throw together something for the parents, even though they are perfectly happy using 7+ year old computers. It's like donating to charity. :)

4745454b

Titan
If cash is tight and you don't need it, sell it. I really don't understand the point of this question. The memory should get around $75, the mobo is another $100 or more, and the CPU might fetch $200 plus. (might retail for $300, but it probably won't go for more then the 9550 or 9400s.) I honestly don't get why your posting.

G

The case is an older Antec solution series. No brand X junk here. And for the record the coolermaster 460 is actually pretty fair for a non-oc build. About as good as a Antec Basiq of the same price anyhow. Besides it could be worse, I could be running a raidmax psu or some fugly gmc case.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

I'm really not sure what to say here. How about you take the 5850 and pair it with the 750 for a real gaming system.

Slap the 8GB into the 1055T with the 4770 and use it as your productivity box.

and then keep the 9650 as a 3rd box. It's a far superior cpu to the 720. It's better in gaming and productivity.

Sell the x3 720 with 4gb and the spare 4770. You should be able to snag around 400 bucks for it assuming everything is in like-new condition.

G

I don't want to put the 1055t into a am2plus board, and to use the 8 gb I would need to do that. And then I would have to put the 720 into my 890gx board and put in the 4 1gb sticks I currently have in my i5 in the 890gx board. And then throw my ddr3 1600 into the i5 (though my 1600 has amd black profiles). Then I would need to swap vid cards. I presume the 5850 would be best in my i5 and the 4890 best in the 9650. The AMD's can have the 4770's I suppose.

How does that sound?

How about turn your extra build into a HTPC? See how much you can undervolt that Q9650.

I understand your dilemma. I always have enough old parts laying around to build a whole system that I hate to get rid of just because they're not the latest and greatest. They are plenty fast for any non-enthusiast and it seems like such a waste to put them up on eBay and get next to nothing for them. That Q9650 is no slouch... on Tom's CPU hierarchy chart it is still listed in the top-most tier with the big boys.

What I usually do is throw together something for the parents, even though they are perfectly happy using 7+ year old computers. It's like donating to charity. :)

Solution
G

I just put the word out to my local pc club I have my x3 for sale. I will just swap it's current memory (viper 1066) for the xms 2. I won't be including a HD or optical drive or a video card. The unit has a built on HD 3300 and that's fine for mainstream use. I think 400 obo is a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.