P8p67 vs p8p67 pro

Which of these motherboards will be better for me?

p8p67 pro
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/motherboards/intel1155p67chipsetmotherboards/asus/90-mibe5a-g0eay0kz.html#sp2

p8p67
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/motherboards/intel1155p67chipsetmotherboards/asus/90-mibe4a-g0eay0dz.html#sp2

The p8p67 is £20 cheaper which will enable me to get the Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler.
The only difference I see between these 2 mobos is that the pro has x8/x8 sli/xfire while the non pro only has x16/x4.
I will NOT sli or xfire, at least for the next year or so.
Now, apart from the PCIe bandwidth difference, is there anything else I should know about?

The gpu I will is the nvidia 560ti or the ati 6950 2gb.
And the CPU will be the i5-2500k.
Ocing is very important to me, and I would like to achieve an oc of 4.5Ghz.
Usage will be gaming, and general everyday stuff.
18 answers Last reply
More about p8p67 p8p67
  1. I would get (and did) Pro just in case you decide to go SLI one day (much better option in my opinion)..it's little more expensive but it's worth it
  2. Hmm, I guess so, more future proofness.
    But If I decided not to sli or xfire, what other benefits would I see?
  3. romanrp said:
    Hmm, I guess so, more future proofness.
    But If I decided not to sli or xfire, what other benefits would I see?

you won't, this is the only difference between this mobos
  4. Thanks :)
    I think I might as well go for the pro version and call it a day.
  5. romanrp said:

my replacement board came in today..missed the delivery :( ,there also other mobos out there that a bit chiper like MSI line up,here;
    http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=prodpage1&maincat_no=1
    but I like this Pro ,got 25K@5.1 no problem :)
  6. Nice!
    What cooler do you have?
    And I will look into those boards, although personally I prefer Asus.
    And just to clear thing up
    both of the asus boards I mentioned will oc roughly the same?
    I heard that the p8p67 LE board doesnt oc well, its this the case with these boards?
  7. romanrp said:
    Nice!
    What cooler do you have?
    And I will look into those boards, although personally I prefer Asus.

under my avatar click on More Information/ Member configuration,I like Gigabyte boards,the only reason i got this one was new bios
  8. Thanks :)
    ooh water cooling, I will stick to air for now. :D
    And thats a very nice build btw, I am thinking of getting some blue led fans for mine a well.
    They just look so damn good!
  9. romanrp said:

With the Pro you gain:
    one more PCIe 2.0 x16 slot for a total of 3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots
    Support for NVIDIA SLI Technology including 1 x ASUS SLI bridge connector
    JMicron JMB362 SATA controller for 2 x External SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports
    Intel 82579 Gigabit LAN (instead of the Realtek 8111E Gigabit LAN on the non-PRO)
    ASUS Q-Shield
    ASUS Q-LED (CPU, DRAM, VGA, Boot Device LED) (the non-PRO only has an LED for the DRAM)
  10. ko888 said:
    With the Pro you gain:
    one more PCIe 2.0 x16 slot for a total of 3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots
    Support for NVIDIA SLI Technology including 1 x ASUS SLI bridge connector
    JMicron JMB362 SATA controller for 2 x External SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports
    Intel 82579 Gigabit LAN (instead of the Realtek 8111E Gigabit LAN on the non-PRO)
    ASUS Q-Shield
    ASUS Q-LED (CPU, DRAM, VGA, Boot Device LED) (the non-PRO only has an LED for the DRAM)

Would that be worth the extra £20?
  11. romanrp said:
    Would that be worth the extra £20?

Only you can determine that for yourself.

I have no idea if you'll even use any of those features except for possibly the LAN controller. Are those extra features or differences worth £20 to you?
  12. The MSI is probably a better buy--considering you can spend that money on graphics.

Speaking of graphics, the 5870 prices are bottoming out at $180 on Newegg. It matches or beats a GTX 560 and 6950. It'll lose out to a 6970 (unlocked 6950 2GB), but not by enough to justify the price difference. You should at least look into it.

If you save $50 on the board and $70 on the graphics, make sure to get a solid 750W PSU (Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, Silverstone, XFX). Then you can add a second 5870 this summer so you can play games like Just Cause 2 maxed out in 3D.
  13. Hmm, is the msi any worse than the asus?
    And I am not planning on getting a gfx card right now, I will use my old one (fx5200,its enough for right now)
    But in the summer I will see whats out there and buy in then.
  14. I doubt an FX5200 is PCI-e if you're referring to a GeForce 5200. It's probably AGP. You could find a much better graphics card for $20.

ASUS is generally the best (along with Gigabyte). MSI is pretty good though--good enough.
  15. I know there is an MSI MS-8968 GeForce FX5200 128MB DDR PCI-Express card so they do exist with a PCIe interface.

If the OP already has the GeForce FX5200 PCI-Express card it can be used for the interim until a new card is purchased.
  16. Yeah the card is PCIe, I took it out of my family pc and replaced it with a new one and I know it can be put back in.
    So I hope it will work, its not a good card, but it will enable me to have gui and thats what matters now :)
  17. Yep--it'll get that done. Just start a new thread here when you're ready to purchase graphics.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards