Question about OEM OS's?

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Yeah there's one major downfall.

You don't get a shiney box. I know, I hope you can get through the rest of your day with this tragic news. I thikn the last line above is the same for any windows installation.

Your question doesn't make any sense.

The only difference is you don't get support and when you change out the mobo likely you'll have to call Microsoft to get a code because OEM Windows attaches itself to the mobo.
Hi,
Sorry about that, I edited the first sentence and forgot to fix it. It should have been the following: "How does purchasing and installing an OEM operating system differ from a retail version?".
Terry

Chuckles_

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
It really doesn't differ. Retail can be a little more convenient, but hardly worth the additional money, unless you actually plan to RTFM. Even changing MBs is no big deal. You'll hear horror stories, but I think they're urban myths because I've called MS several times over for that very reason, and I've never had a problem.

Hi,
I guess my main concern is about the availability of upgrades. Are there problems in getting upgrades? I was concerned with what Microsoft calls "support".
Terry

Hereisphilly

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Upgrades are fine, the only difference is the lack of a person on the other end of a phone line, but thats what this forum is for i guess!
on another note, everytime you buy a prebuilt system or laptop etc, it comes with an OEM license, so no problems there

Hi,
That is true. I guess I already have some experience with OEM software.
Terry

They may identical. Some oem versions are generic; they will work on nearly anything. Others are tied to specific brands of hardware. For example, every HP oem disk I have ever seen looks for HP hardware, and if it doesn't find HP hardware, it refuses to install.

OTOH, most of the oem disks (legitimate keys) being sold are generic.

Hi,
I understand that installation support is not included. But is product support beyond simple installation still covered?
Terry

What do you mean by product support? Calling MS for tech support?

Hi,
Yes, technical support of the software beyond the intial instalation. For example, dealing with blue screen errors. Is product support beyond the initial installation covered?
Terry

No, it is not.