No need for an I series CPU right now

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Games
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
August 12, 2010 11:56:57 AM

Hi

Im just posting this cause all i see is get an i5 or i7, Now if you compare games demand to new and improved hardware its just not there yet.

Games don't ask for DDR3 or i Series CPU's yet to me its not feasible, Regarding future proof no such thing, something better always comes out to replace what you just bought, all image meaning who has the best, theres no need for that type of performance most applications ask for 2 GB of Ram and core2duo.

More about : series cpu

a c 203 à CPUs
August 12, 2010 3:08:29 PM

Jonathern said:
Im just posting this cause all i see is get an i5 or i7
Have you looked at the prices of C2Duo vs i5 and DDR2 vs DDR3?
Price of RAM is nearly the same and a C2D E7600 3.06Ghz and Core i5 550 3.2Ghz both sell for $149. i5 550 even includes IGP Intel HD Graphics.

Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz $100, Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz $77 and Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz $108 are a few more reasons why you don't see many recommendations for C2D CPUs any more.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 3:19:33 PM

^
Bing!
Related resources
August 12, 2010 3:41:22 PM

^+1
but i still prefer to stay with my Q8300 for 2 more years.....
a c 203 à CPUs
August 12, 2010 4:01:00 PM

And I'm not yet ready to let go of my 2.8Ghz OC'd E6400 yet. Neither do I see a need to drop a C2Q in there.

But recommend a $150 C2Q Q8300 2.5GHz over a Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz @ $160? I don't think I can do that.
Or suggest a $200 C2Q Q9300 2.5GHz Yorkfield over a Core i5 756 2.8Ghz @ $210. Can't do that either.
And don't get me started over a $279 C2Q Q9550 2.83GHz Yorkfield vs a $290 Core i7 867 2.93 Lynnfield.

There is nothing wrong with C2D/C2Q CPUs. And it's not like we don't suggest socket 775 upgrades here and there. Or tell some people they really don't need an upgrade yet. But for a lot of people those options won't work for them.
August 12, 2010 4:29:39 PM

Im saying don't upgrade, not telling people that they stupid not to refer people to DDR3, My opinion is there is no need for it right now
August 12, 2010 4:31:29 PM

but if someone is buying a new rig for the first time or just a second new rig then all things latest would be a worthy option......(like DDR 3 1600 MHZ or 2200MHZ)
August 12, 2010 4:36:43 PM

Granted but where is there an application that asks for this performance i can get DDR3, But upgrade according to software demand, DDR4 will come out and we all will say the same thing about DDR3 as we saying now about DDR2
August 12, 2010 4:41:59 PM

Jonathern said:
Granted but where is there an application that asks for this performance i can get DDR3, But upgrade according to software demand, DDR4 will come out and we all will say the same thing about DDR3 as we saying now about DDR2

agree, but if i want to get a new rig then why i should go with DDR 2 if i can get DDR 3 for a little difference in price? plus DDR 3 means improved performance.....and i7 has IMC inbuilt.. that means it supports triple channal RAM support... more bandwidth.,.. plus i7 has hyper threading... QPI...Turbo Mode...and so on.... :sol: 
August 12, 2010 4:50:31 PM

Lets look at it this way all this advanced hardware was more intended for software developers and individuals needing to run more programs at once than usage of games?
August 12, 2010 4:54:13 PM

Jonathern said:
Lets look at it this way all this advanced hardware was more intended for software developers and individuals needing to run more programs at once than usage of games?

but what abt our own image... people or friends will abuse me by saying that i had chance but not upgred to latest instead i go with same old and common.....i don't want to hear that... :sol: 
August 12, 2010 4:55:27 PM

rohn_avni said:
agree, but if i want to get a new rig then why i should go with DDR 2 if i can get DDR 3 for a little difference in price? plus DDR 3 means improved performance.....and i7 has IMC inbuilt.. that means it supports triple channal RAM support... more bandwidth.,.. plus i7 has hyper threading... QPI...Turbo Mode...and so on.... :sol: 

I agree 100% percent for people looking to buy a new rig go for DDR3, But if you got a jacked up DDR2 rig i say stick with it for now as with regards to gaming there is no need for DDR3 yet, Rather upgrade when there is demand for it cause everyone is just saying buy core i7 etc. out of fear for what ever advancement happens in software and right now games have not even passed core2duo yet, Am i wrong or right?
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 5:00:16 PM

Jonathern said:
I agree 100% percent for people looking to buy a new rig go for DDR3, But if you got a jacked up DDR2 rig i say stick with it for now as with regards to gaming there is no need for DDR3 yet, Rather upgrade when there is demand for it cause everyone is just saying buy core i7 etc. out of fear for what ever advancement happens in software and right now games have not even passed core2duo yet, Am i wrong or right?

When someone has a QX9750, obviously he wants to upgrade to an 980X, so I don't see the point in this.

People upgrade when they feel like they need more power in their rig, and to point thing out, new hardware comes out because the new games/programs need it. Try runnnig Crysis on 2GB of RAM.

The fact is, when you have the money, overkill is better than less-than-adequate when it comes to hardware.
August 12, 2010 5:01:40 PM

Jonathern said:

well i said above that i will stick to my Q8300 for more 2 years... i also agree... and yes there r some games those demands a Quad core.. like GTA 4........ :ouch: 
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 5:15:01 PM

Jonathern said:
Im saying don't upgrade, not telling people that they stupid not to refer people to DDR3, My opinion is there is no need for it right now

I see where you're coming from but if people are looking to upgrade then telling them "don't upgrade" is not answering their question(s).

They obviously came to the conclusion, prior to posting, that they want/need the upgrade for their particular usage.

So recommending an i5xx, 6xx, 7xx, 8xx, 9xx this or a Phenom II X4/X6 that makes sense.
August 12, 2010 5:21:31 PM

Im not saying don't upgrade, Im saying if you have a jacked up DDR2 computer is it really priority to upgade when games don't demand that performance yet, I will only agree with programs and work related software
a c 203 à CPUs
August 12, 2010 5:31:44 PM

This sounds a lot like the discussions around socket 478 to socket 775 migration and the move from DDR to DDR2 discussions awhile back.

It's not easy for people to accept a new computer with old technology inside.

August 12, 2010 5:48:28 PM

Well i don't feel this topic is related to new advanced hardware as such but more on the lines of, is it actually necessary to have all that performance for something that won't fully utilize it, End of the day its what you use it for but i just cant see how people can take a perfectly running DDR2 Rig and just throw away for a faster DDR3 when all they do is play games, Please tell me what game asks for those specs? I feel a person should wait till software demands it, Not about money more about logic as i said earlier i could upgrade right now to DDR3.
August 12, 2010 5:52:42 PM

Well ok as i said im not disagreeing with anyone, Im not even saying keep on with DDR2,But for one or two games a person must upgrade why not have one up from a games requirement, I bet with what i got i can play a game at the same speed with someone with a DDR3 rig simply because a game which in essence is a program only uses the amount of resources it was designed to
August 12, 2010 5:55:23 PM

I know in a lot of ways i sound like i know nothing and living on my own planet, but think of this after next year we will be upgrading to DDR4 what a replacement from DDR3 opposed to how long we have used DDR2
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 3:32:59 AM

I'm running a Socket 775 system with 4GB of DDR2. I could drop in a Q6600 into my motherboard, but when I do upgrade, I'm starting over. Not everyone upgrades every six months, and when they do start looking, they are looking for the best performance for the money. To be honest, my new system will be most likely an Athlon X4 with 4GB of DDR3. Do I really need this? No, but then again, I won't spend money on old hardware. That's why you see all the suggestions for the newer CPU's despite system requirements not calling for these. It's like spending the money to keep an old car running when you can get a newer one for the same money.
August 13, 2010 5:33:58 AM

Ok well lets call it a day with is thread, I say Upgrade to DDR3 if you want to i would to but i guess its an indifference of opinion,To me i see no reason to. DDR2 is old hardware now but not that old if games still ask for it,But people want performance so go DDR3,This should only apply to people who play via internet, for general usage of playing games its not nessecary right now.

Thank you for all your views and opinions, I appreciate the input and have learn't alot.
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 9:15:57 PM

I'm having a lot of trouble following your logic with this DDR2 to DDR3 leap. The two are not interchangable and motherboard slots made for one will not accept the other. Granted, there are a few exceptions for some limited production boards which have a set of DDR2 slots and a set of DDR3 slots (which require you to use either/or - not both at once). But the normal state of the technology is motherboard/processor combinations support one *or* the other. Not both at the same time.

The same applies for DDR to DDR2 - The modules are not pin-compatible. So any module (DDR, DDR2, DDR3, whatever) physically will NOT fit into slots designed for a different type.

So complaining about DDR2 to DDR 3 upgrades is nonsensical. They are not interchangable. Either you are upgrading your entire system, or you are not. If you are not upgrading the whole system, then the entire discussion is pointless because the "new" modules WILL NOT FIT into the slots in your motherboard. If you *are* upgrading the whole system, then you simply buy RAM of the appropriate type and get on with your life.

If that's not a plain enough explanation: Head over to an automotive enthusiast site and complain about upgrading from a 4 bolt wheel to a 5 bolt wheel...
a c 213 à CPUs
August 13, 2010 10:00:44 PM

Jonathern said:
Hi

Im just posting this cause all i see is get an i5 or i7, Now if you compare games demand to new and improved hardware its just not there yet.

Games don't ask for DDR3 or i Series CPU's yet to me its not feasible, Regarding future proof no such thing, something better always comes out to replace what you just bought, all image meaning who has the best, theres no need for that type of performance most applications ask for 2 GB of Ram and core2duo.

You forget the fact that the Core 2 series is no longer being made so they will slowly become harder to get and that also means the price will stay the same, not get cheaper.

The Core i series however is still in production and will get cheaper and are easy to get.

Add in the fact that the P35/P45/X38/X48 chipsets are no longer being made therefore making the mobos with them harder to find and stable in price while the P55/X58 are being made and getting cheaper.
a c 122 à CPUs
August 14, 2010 11:01:43 AM

WR2 said:
This sounds a lot like the discussions around socket 478 to socket 775 migration and the move from DDR to DDR2 discussions awhile back.

It's not easy for people to accept a new computer with old technology inside.
http://a.imageshack.us/img412/5171/thepc.jpg

Lol! nice image you slay me!
August 16, 2010 7:01:26 AM

Quote:
Intel donot make cpu for gamers.Fast cpu are primary made for organisation like NASA. Fast cpu are needed to create those groundbreaking graphics in movies.MULTI THREADED CPU ARE NEFDED TO SOLVE COMPLEX SCIENTIFIC CALCULATION.intel donot give a damm if gamers even buy i7 or atom.pc were never built for gaming.Organistation need fast cpu to perform complex task with there pc which average gamers cannot even think of.

Ok you seem to know what your talking about, Then why is there all the hype of upgrading to something thats not even logical right now?, There is no such thing as future proof iv heard that for years now and seems what was previously future proof is dead,lol
August 16, 2010 7:02:53 AM

jimmysmitty said:
You forget the fact that the Core 2 series is no longer being made so they will slowly become harder to get and that also means the price will stay the same, not get cheaper.

The Core i series however is still in production and will get cheaper and are easy to get.

Add in the fact that the P35/P45/X38/X48 chipsets are no longer being made therefore making the mobos with them harder to find and stable in price while the P55/X58 are being made and getting cheaper.

I have to agree with you, Yes they are being discontinued but quad cores will still be around for a year or two.
August 16, 2010 7:05:10 AM

Scotteq said:
I'm having a lot of trouble following your logic with this DDR2 to DDR3 leap. The two are not interchangable and motherboard slots made for one will not accept the other. Granted, there are a few exceptions for some limited production boards which have a set of DDR2 slots and a set of DDR3 slots (which require you to use either/or - not both at once). But the normal state of the technology is motherboard/processor combinations support one *or* the other. Not both at the same time.

The same applies for DDR to DDR2 - The modules are not pin-compatible. So any module (DDR, DDR2, DDR3, whatever) physically will NOT fit into slots designed for a different type.

So complaining about DDR2 to DDR 3 upgrades is nonsensical. They are not interchangable. Either you are upgrading your entire system, or you are not. If you are not upgrading the whole system, then the entire discussion is pointless because the "new" modules WILL NOT FIT into the slots in your motherboard. If you *are* upgrading the whole system, then you simply buy RAM of the appropriate type and get on with your life.

If that's not a plain enough explanation: Head over to an automotive enthusiast site and complain about upgrading from a 4 bolt wheel to a 5 bolt wheel...

Ok bit of tension coming from your message, What happens if i told you there is a board that takes both what would you say then?
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 7:12:32 AM

The only boards that take both are kind of a kludge, and I wouldn't recommend them.
August 16, 2010 7:16:09 AM

cjl said:
The only boards that take both are kind of a kludge, and I wouldn't recommend them.

Just stating the fact that there are boards that do, Not that i would waste my time if i upgraded to DDR3
August 16, 2010 7:17:38 AM

You know what as i said earlier im not saying don't upgrade go for it, Im simply asking is it like a priority right now to upgrade according to what software demands?
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 7:19:10 AM

To be honest, there's no reason to upgrade. DDR3 is a good idea on pretty much any new system build, but if you already have a working system, and you happen to have one of the few boards that can take both, I wouldn't recommend an upgrade.
August 16, 2010 7:22:57 AM

cjl said:
To be honest, there's no reason to upgrade. DDR3 is a good idea on pretty much any new system build, but if you already have a working system, and you happen to have one of the few boards that can take both, I wouldn't recommend an upgrade.

You see that is the type of answer i have been waiting for :wahoo: 
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 1:59:52 PM

Scotteq said:

Jonathern said:
Ok bit of tension coming from your message, What happens if i told you there is a board that takes both what would you say then?

I would say you're stupid for buying one of those boards. They're kludgy. Do not allow you to use both types of memory. And no matter what you do, you'll be unable to utilize half of your DIMM slots; which I am sure we can all agree is a worse 'solution' than just picking one type of memory or another. Not to mention that memory isn't a bottleneck on system performance anyhow - you either have enough, or you don't. So it's a nonsensical argument about an aspect of (your) PC that makes little difference to begin with. If you want an upgrade that makes a difference, then buy a faster hard drive.

I would also opine you're intentionally attempting to manipulate the conversation in order to troll for answer that agrees with what you've very clearly already decided upon. I'm trying to tell you that the entire premise is off base. And you appear to be responding with "If there were a situation where I was right, then you must agree that I am right..."

For the sake of clarity, I'll say it again plainly: DDR2 and DDR3 are not interchangable. There is no "upgrading" from one to the other. Either you build a new system or you don't.
August 16, 2010 4:52:12 PM

Scotteq said:
I would say you're stupid for buying one of those boards. They're kludgy. Do not allow you to use both types of memory. And no matter what you do, you'll be unable to utilize half of your DIMM slots; which I am sure we can all agree is a worse 'solution' than just picking one type of memory or another. Not to mention that memory isn't a bottleneck on system performance anyhow - you either have enough, or you don't. So it's a nonsensical argument about an aspect of (your) PC that makes little difference to begin with. If you want an upgrade that makes a difference, then buy a faster hard drive.

I would also opine you're intentionally attempting to manipulate the conversation in order to troll for answer that agrees with what you've very clearly already decided upon. I'm trying to tell you that the entire premise is off base. And you appear to be responding with "If there were a situation where I was right, then you must agree that I am right..."

For the sake of clarity, I'll say it again plainly: DDR2 and DDR3 are not interchangable. There is no "upgrading" from one to the other. Either you build a new system or you don't.

Ok to some or all this is senseless, But as i asked in the begining why upgrade for what reason as nothing demands it, can't be future proof as clearly future proof means a year or two, And i agree with the statement of what you said last " Either build a new system or you don't " Im not saying you shouldn't simply asking is it really a priority now?
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 5:43:31 PM

I'm saying the memory isn't the driver here. That RAM has a very minimal impact on system performance, no matter the type. And that the two types of memory are neither compatible nor are they interchangable.

Therefore basing any decision over the difference between DDR2 and/or DDR3 is just plain asinine.

{edit}Here: I made you a chart comparing an 8** Yorkie to a high end Phenom (X4 965 for an all Quad comparison) to an i7 870

If you're arguing whether or not your Yorkie is 'perfectly adequate for your personal usage' and you don't want to spend any money, then you're on solid ground. Otherwise: Using the weighting scheme publicly published here at Tom's, the newer processors are 70~75% better - On Average.
a c 83 à CPUs
August 16, 2010 9:18:27 PM

jimmysmitty said:

Core 2 actually hasn't been discontinued yet, wouldn't surprise me if Core2Quad was, but Intel has still been releasing new Pentium Dual Cores for socket 775 in recent months. I think they've actually got a few more planned for upcoming months. Sad to say, but socket 775 technically isn't dead yet, it's just become a really low end platform with no future.
August 17, 2010 1:27:10 AM

loneninja said:
Core 2 actually hasn't been discontinued yet, wouldn't surprise me if Core2Quad was, but Intel has still been releasing new Pentium Dual Cores for socket 775 in recent months. I think they've actually got a few more planned for upcoming months. Sad to say, but socket 775 technically isn't dead yet, it's just become a really low end platform with no future.

^+1
775 not dead yet... :sol: 
August 17, 2010 5:43:19 AM

rohn_avni said:
^+1
775 not dead yet... :sol: 

You see thats the message im trying to get across, People hear everyone say listen you need to upgrade to core i5 for example but there is never a real reason behind it, Intel just markets their CPU's that way so they can do away with continuation of their older platforms, In any event a majority of people still use CPU's under the I series as there is no real reason right now to upgrade unless your doing, Graphic design and making programs and movies etc, Regards to games which majority of the people on the forum mostly utilize their computers for i do not see a reason, Even your basic work on the computer using word, excel, that does not need an i series, I may sound afraid to upgrade and would just like to point out that im not as i can right now go buy a fully jacked up core i7 pc but for what?, Core2duo and quads i predict will still be in use for another 2 - 3 years before they bring out software that surpasses the resource capabilities of a quad core, so in turn no need for an i series
August 17, 2010 5:50:39 AM

Scotteq said:
I'm saying the memory isn't the driver here. That RAM has a very minimal impact on system performance, no matter the type. And that the two types of memory are neither compatible nor are they interchangable.

Therefore basing any decision over the difference between DDR2 and/or DDR3 is just plain asinine.

{edit}Here: I made you a chart comparing an 8** Yorkie to a high end Phenom (X4 965 for an all Quad comparison) to an i7 870

If you're arguing whether or not your Yorkie is 'perfectly adequate for your personal usage' and you don't want to spend any money, then you're on solid ground. Otherwise: Using the weighting scheme publicly published here at Tom's, the newer processors are 70~75% better - On Average.

Im sorry if you feel im making out like i got the best CPU, Im afraid thats not the case im just aware on how the retail industry operates by brain washing you into buying an i series just so they get a fat commission, I had the opportunity to buy an i series cpu but saw no fesibilitie right now just my opinion on it, Im not discrediting tom's or people using this site or telling people to not upgrade like some campaign to kill off the future advancements just trying to find the actual reason, what will you point out as in regards to imperfections of the i 7 when something better comes out cause right now core i7 is king?
a b à CPUs
August 17, 2010 7:10:33 AM

I agree with you mainly, about the fact that if you have a satisfactory system which uses DDR2 memory there is no real point of upgrading to DDR3 as people will see very little benefit. It's just that DDR3 is becoming faster and cheaper, while DDR2 is slowly becoming obsolete and more expensive.

Most people with decent Core 2 Quad systems are recommended to stick with them (even the good old QX6850 is a very fast processor, on par with the Phenom II X4s) while those with Core 2 Duos who are looking for a quick or cheap upgrade are recommended to buy a Core 2 Quad, a Q9550 for ~ $150 if Micro Center still does the deal (not sure anymore).

If you have an older 65nm based Core 2 Duo E6000 and your motherboard does not support any decent 45nm C2D or C2Q, then there's not much point in buying a Core 2 Quad Q9400 & a DDR2 motherboard for example, when you're far better off with a Core i5 750 & DDR3 memory or so which is faster. It makes sense if it's a 'temporary' CPU in the sense that you've skipped this generation and you'll be buying a Sandy Bridge or Bulldozer CPU.

However, do note that if you buy an Core iX based system now, although you may not be able to reuse the old motherboard or CPU, you can still reuse the memory. Also, Intel's new generation of CPUs based on SB apparently do not show great performance boosts over the Nehalem CPUs, nothing like the jump from Pentium 4 to Core 2. You may not even need to upgrade if you feel it's not worth it to invest money in a new platform.

Concerning gaming, Core 2 Quad Q9000s don't lag too much behind the Core i5 700s and Core i7 800/900s. However, in other applications, the Core i7 920 may show considerable performance increases over the Core 2 Quad Q9550. As always, there are some exceptions - the Core i7 980X would absolutely crush a Q9400 in a maxed out game of FSX Deluxe, or any highly threaded game for that matter. For businesses which use these applications, the performance boosts are worth upgrading too - remember that not all CPUs that are bought are used in gaming systems, and for example, in Sony Vegas 9, a video editing program which isn't really intended for businesses as such, can use up to 16 threads, and all desktop Core i7s have eight threads to work with, while Core 2 Quads only have four.

No one really upgrades their whole system just to use DDR2 instead of DDR3, (apart from the misinformed) it's more like the fact that if they want to use a current generation CPU, they'll have to upgrade, unless they use an AMD AM2/AM2+ board with AM3 CPUs. As said above, this memory can be used in other systems further on.

Your argument for a that a Core i series CPU is not needed because of software limitations is partially correct. Partially because you are right as most of the limitation is based on the fact that most software is not multi-threaded, not the hardware nowadays. You are wrong in the sense that because of this limitation, there is no need for a Core i series processor. By logic, you also believe that Core 2 Quads are not worth buying either. Despite the lack of multi-threaded software is quite a lot of software can use three or four threads. If you're talking about very basic applications, then I agree, but then there is no point in even buying a Core 2 Duo either, if a Sempron 140 or Athlon II X2 240 & 1 GB of RAM will suffice.
August 17, 2010 7:29:58 AM

Your argument for a that a Core i series CPU is not needed because of software limitations is partially correct. Partially because you are right as most of the limitation is based on the fact that most software is not multi-threaded, not the hardware nowadays. You are wrong in the sense that because of this limitation, there is no need for a Core i series processor. By logic, you also believe that Core 2 Quads are not worth buying either. Despite the lack of multi-threaded software is quite a lot of software can use three or four threads. If you're talking about very basic applications, then I agree, but then there is no point in even buying a Core 2 Duo either, if a Sempron 140 or Athlon II X2 240 & 1 GB of RAM will suffice.[/quotemsg]

Look at this thread as not a waste of time but more of a learning curve, Imagine not having to answer the same questions like : I want to upgrade whats the best?, im on a strict budget what can i do?, Im simply just saying instead of telling people DDR2 is dead when actual event it isn't yet go according to software demands and advise people that way,DDR3 is still fairly new but at the same token people must decide for themselves, Im not trying to start a revolution just asking is it really nessasary right now to upgrade to DDR3?
a b à CPUs
August 17, 2010 7:52:10 AM

Most of the time if they have a Core 2 Quad, I politely respond that they would not benefit too much from upgrading to the Core i series. If they have a C2D I just say upgrade to a C2Q if they can.

The answer to 'I'm on a strict budget' is normally just a CPU or GPU upgrade, RAM occasionally. I understand what you're thinking though.

I'm pretty sure the majority know it's not necessary to upgrade to DDR3, but if they do it's not too difficult to respond with 'DDR2 memory is fine' or 'DDR3 doesn't offer great performance boost'. In some cases like socket 775 P4s with DDR2, where older motherboards don't support Core 2 CPUs, it's not a bad idea to upgrade to a new DDR3 system, otherwise if you want to save $50 - $100 (from buying extra DDR3 RAM) or so build yourself an AM2+ system which would easily outperform a similarly priced Core 2 system for less.
August 17, 2010 8:00:23 AM

2158315,44,593517 said:
Most of the time if they have a Core 2 Quad, I politely respond that they would not benefit too much from upgrading to the Core i series. If they have a C2D I just say upgrade to a C2Q if they can.

The answer to 'I'm on a strict budget' is normally just a CPU or GPU upgrade, RAM occasionally. I understand what you're thinking though.

I'm pretty sure the majority know it's not necessary to upgrade to DDR3, but if they do it's not too difficult to respond with 'DDR2 memory is fine' or 'DDR3 doesn't offer great performance boost'. In some cases like socket 775 P4s with DDR2, where older motherboards don't support Core 2 CPUs, it's not a bad idea to upgrade to a new DDR3 system, otherwise if you want to save $50 - $100 (from buying extra DDR3 RAM) or so build yourself an AM2+ system which would easily outperform a similarly priced Core 2 system for less.[/quotemsg

With people on budgets etc, If they have a DDR2 system going should just either get advice on DDR2 supported hardware or better yet stick to the support that only socket 775 can utilize pointless saying DDR2 is dead etc get DDR3 cause it will never end, I don't know in a lot of ways i regret making this thread but i learn't a lot on what people feel is the best and their views on everything the real truth of it all is we will never know what we want, Lets all be sheep and flock together following the shepards that point us in the right direction.
August 17, 2010 8:11:31 AM

Quote:
Just becoz intel launches i series cpu doesnot means other series are useless junk.intel will launch sandybridge next year then everyone will say i7 are useless junk.

I have said that to earlier in this thread we all said DDR sucks because DDR2 is better this way, Now we move on to DDR3 and so forth soon DDR4 comes out with this new sandybridge you speaking about what then
August 17, 2010 8:49:17 AM

first of all no system is dead until u feel it is dead......i was using P4 a month back and feels that it was showing it's age, so upgraded to C2Q.... now i am happy with it... and i don't think that any game has guts to surpass my Quad for now..... so i will surly not update my rig for 2-3 years......
It is totally depends on ur need's that u should update it or not....
August 17, 2010 11:01:41 AM

rohn_avni said:
first of all no system is dead until u feel it is dead......i was using P4 a month back and feels that it was showing it's age, so upgraded to C2Q.... now i am happy with it... and i don't think that any game has guts to surpass my Quad for now..... so i will surly not update my rig for 2-3 years......
It is totally depends on ur need's that u should update it or not....

Why is it that only you can see what im saying,lol, Everyone else feels like iv begun a cult against upgrading when its the complete opposite,lol.
a b à CPUs
August 17, 2010 1:34:15 PM

Jonathern said:
Im sorry if you feel im making out like i got the best CPU, Im afraid thats not the case im just aware on how the retail industry operates by brain washing you into buying an i series just so they get a fat commission, I had the opportunity to buy an i series cpu but saw no fesibilitie right now just my opinion on it, Im not discrediting tom's or people using this site or telling people to not upgrade like some campaign to kill off the future advancements just trying to find the actual reason, what will you point out as in regards to imperfections of the i 7 when something better comes out cause right now core i7 is king?

Now you're changing the topic (again).

You said:

Jonathern said:
Ok well lets call it a day with is thread, I say Upgrade to DDR3 if you want to i would to but i guess its an indifference of opinion,To me i see no reason to. DDR2 is old hardware now but not that old if games still ask for it,But people want performance so go DDR3,This should only apply to people who play via internet, for general usage of playing games its not nessecary right now.

Thank you for all your views and opinions, I appreciate the input and have learn't alot.

..and I'm telling you that the type of RAM makes almost no difference in overall system performance, that the types of memory are not interchangeable, and that therefore your statement is nonsensical. Now you're changing the topic to Processors.

DDR2? DDR3? Makes almost no difference in userland, and it's dumb to even make it anything more than a minor consideration.

Here's an article on Core2 memory scaling
August 17, 2010 1:41:57 PM

Scotteq said:
Now you're changing the topic (again).

You said:

..and I'm telling you that the type of RAM makes almost no difference in overall system performance, that the types of memory are not interchangeable, and that therefore your statement is nonsensical. Now you're changing the topic to Processors.

DDR2? DDR3? Makes no perceptible difference in userland, and it's dumb to even make it anything more than a minor consideration. Here:

Ok maybe you should call it a day, Go read the name of this thread and if i put RAM in it il apologise, CORE I Series CPU's can only use DDR3, Go right to the top of the thread read what i first said, Then read everyones remarks and see how a simple question went in different directions hence the topic change, im exploring the the different views, And don't refer me to being dumb, Your dumb enough to have posted anything to this thread,so who's dumb?
August 17, 2010 1:42:10 PM

Jonathern said:
Why is it that only you can see what im saying,lol, Everyone else feels like iv begun a cult against upgrading when its the complete opposite,lol.

because every budy just love the latest and hate old............ again they will hate their so called latest when something new will come... :pt1cable: 
if a person just want to do work with office apps then even a P4 with 1 gb ram is enough for him........as i said it's only depends on our need's..... no other reason except showing off their latest........ ;) 
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest