Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC *** itself need help

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 12, 2010 1:39:27 PM

Hi all, my problem is pc won't boot, no post . When I turn on my computer the fans eg. Video, CPU and cooling fans all turn on but nothing happens and the HDD led light just stays on, it does not blink of flash just permanent blue light I have antec 900 case. Has been working solid for about 2 years. The thing is I always leave it on and I have been moving so I have had it off for awhile and now it decides to crap itself. I normally can fix any problems with my pc but not this >< also when I power it on I can't restart it or shut down by manually pressing it eg. Bcoz the hdd led just stays on only way I can turn it off is by turning it of the psu switch. any help would be much appreciated.
My system specs;
asus p5k deluxe
e6850
8800gtx
500g wdigital HD
fatality pro sound card
3g corsair dominator 1066
antec 900
7 ultimate 64x

that's pretty much all me hardware. Thanks in advanced!

More about : question

August 12, 2010 1:45:00 PM

Your wiring may have breaks in it causing shorts just check it out
m
l
August 12, 2010 1:51:42 PM

Or your some piece of hardware is not compatiable with windows 7 64x
m
l
Related resources
August 12, 2010 4:13:20 PM

i think just open ur case and unscrew all things replace thermal compound and clean the dust... and then reattach every thing and try ur luck........
m
l
August 13, 2010 12:19:30 PM

Hi jonathern and rohn_anvi thanks for replying. I have totally taken everything apart and cleaned evrything was heavy dust. I have thermalright ultra extreme I reapplied arctic silver 5 and put back together. After that I checked all cabling I noticed a small cut in the wire coming from the back case fan. So I left it unplugged I put my psu back in the case that is thermaltake 850 I left out cd rom and sound card plugged evrything back and still the same problem. I'm guessing it either the motherboard video card or psu. I don't know why the power button turns on but if I hold it down it doesn't turn off and reset button doesn't do anything it's like the blue ring of death. I think the dust killed it. Don't what's going anyone have antec900 and experienced this? It's definately hardware related what should I do
m
l
August 13, 2010 12:30:45 PM

Dave187 said:
Hi jonathern and rohn_anvi thanks for replying. I have totally taken everything apart and cleaned evrything was heavy dust. I have thermalright ultra extreme I reapplied arctic silver 5 and put back together. After that I checked all cabling I noticed a small cut in the wire coming from the back case fan. So I left it unplugged I put my psu back in the case that is thermaltake 850 I left out cd rom and sound card plugged evrything back and still the same problem. I'm guessing it either the motherboard video card or psu. I don't know why the power button turns on but if I hold it down it doesn't turn off and reset button doesn't do anything it's like the blue ring of death. I think the dust killed it. Don't what's going anyone have antec900 and experienced this? It's definately hardware related what should I do

Hi dave well im studying Pc engineering so may be of some assistance, I need full specs of everything so i know what im working with, need to do my research and probe the issue, All you getting now are guesses
m
l
August 13, 2010 12:34:40 PM

Dave187 said:

Never mind specs me being stupid didn't read the top, How well do you know computers?, Not making you out to be stupid but with regard to how you have installed everything especially your wiring?
m
l
August 13, 2010 1:01:50 PM

Ok dave do one thing take your CPU out look at the pins of the Socket on the motherboard,Check to see if any are out of place, If so take tweezers or tooth pick gently push it back in place like the rest, By gently i mean gently.

With Regards to the power button,Reset butoon etc. Hopefully you have a manual make sure you have plug the little fittings the right way round, Just play with it by leaving them all out and just plugging in the power button and reset button fittings see what happens.

I don't believe your mobo is dead also one other thing the battery on the motherboard maybe dead so it can't keep memory of its last setting.
m
l

Best solution

a c 172 à CPUs
August 13, 2010 1:11:34 PM

You have worked through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
yes? I mean work through, not just read over it.

Breadboard - that will isolate any kind of case problem.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

The breadboarding thread has a paragraph about how to build and test a PC in stages.

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU. You do have a case speaker installed, right? If not, you really, really need one. If your case or motherboard didn't come with a system speaker, you can buy one here:
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to.

You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems.
Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU.

At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if
it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

If it looks like the PSU is good, install a memory stick. Boot. Beep pattern should change to one long and several short beeps indicating a missing graphics card. Silence or long single beeps indicate a problem with the memory.

Insert the video card and connect any necessary PCIe power connectors. Boot. At this point, the system should POST successfully (a single short beep). Notice that you do not need keyboard, mouse, monitor, or drives to successfully POST.

Now start connecting the rest of the devices starting with the monitor, then keyboard and mouse, then the rest of the devices, testing after each step.

August 14, 2010 12:40:55 AM

G'morning thanks for your posts. My respond time may be alittle slow as I have been using my iPhone to type this >< it's quite annoying. I keen to try everything you guys said now. gonna take awhile but I will post back results. I know can fix this I will try what jonathern said first then I will go through what jsc said and what a great post thanks again you guys are awsome.
m
l
August 17, 2010 12:16:18 PM

Hey hey, I found out it was the motherboard had died. I used my mates asrock 4coredual vsta and it worked! So now I have to buy new motherboard :/  I will never asus again first was striker extreme now this... Can anyone help me with bios settings for E6850 and CM2X1024 8500C5D that is if anyone is familiar with asrock bios also it's read my CPU @ 2.4ghz instead of 3ghz
cheers
m
l
August 21, 2010 4:54:13 AM

Best answer selected by dave187.
m
l
!