XP crashes during install with BSOD

cyber_skater

Honorable
May 21, 2012
I want to install XP on one HDD in order to use some HW which does not have Win 7 drivers. I have an ASUS P8P67 MB with 16 Gig of RAM, and a SATA HDD. XP crashes right after it loads the start-up drivers into memory. It gives a stop code which seems to indicate that XP cannot see the hard drive. I read that maybe re-flashing the BIOS might fix the trouble, so I updated the BIOS to the lastest version. No effect.

I could try throwing an IDE HDD in to see if XP will install to that, and then clone that drive to a SATA drive. I don't want to leave the IDE drive in the machine since the primary partition will park itself in the middle of my partition structure.

Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

matobinder

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
I can't remember the setting exactly, I had this same problem. BSOD during install.

But what you probably need to do is find a setting in your bios for the storage controller. It probably has options like SATA or AHCI and or IDE.

I think you need to set it to IDE or compatibility mode. I had also tried slipstreaming and had created a XP SP3 install CD with SATA drivers, but it still didn't like it. Switching my BIOS to the IDE mode made it all work.

Latest posts