Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Noob question Hooking up PC to TV with sound! HELP

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 6, 2010 5:49:42 PM

I'm totally new to this hooking my PC up to my TV but I would love to do this since I have a lot of movies on my computer and instead of wasting DVDs and converting times to get them to play on my DVD player I would love to just view them on my 42" Sylvania LC420SS8 1080P LCD TV and my video card is a MSI Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 640MB. The card has Two DVI ports (one being used obviously on my pc monitor) and one free as well as an S-Video output.

My TV has two HDMI ports so if i'm not mistaken I can just use a DVI(Male)toHDMI(MALE) cable to connect the video to my TV...but I'm not sure but I don't think those cables can carry audio. I need to know what audio cable I need to run from my PC to my TV i'm totally unsure since I have onboard audio from an ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe motherboard so there's 6 colored outputs on the back.

Any help would be appreciated....and let me know if i'm correct that a DVI-HDMI cable should work?? My TV supports 1080P and also has a VGA port. Just unsure on how to hookup the audio.

Thanks guys!
May 6, 2010 5:59:51 PM

I have not had much experience with running HDMI through an Nvidia card (i know how to do it on ATI) but I believe it may require an extra motherboard connection to your GPU, called SPDIF. The cable needed would have been included with your card, if your card has that option.

If you don't want to do it that way, if your TV has a DVI input, it should also have a standard audio input with it (small headphone jack type connection). You can run a cable from your onboard sound (where you plug in your PC speakers) to that input, and the sound should work over your TV speakers the same way they worked over your PC speakers.
May 6, 2010 6:08:23 PM

ya i've lost all the cables that came with my card =( so I have no idea what to even get. I would love to run my PC sound to my TV speakers or to my Bigger speakers that just connect to my stereo reciever via Yellow/Red cables...haha i'm so bad I dont even know the names of those..like I said i'm a noobie when it comes to this stuff. My motherboard also has Optical S/PDIF out port and a Coaxial S/PDIF out port...I have no Idea what those are or if they'll help me here lol!
Related resources

Best solution

May 6, 2010 6:12:19 PM

The small headphone jack connection can be convereted to the red/white cables with a $2 converter, as seen here:
http://budgetgamer.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/audio1-r...

This would probably be the least stressful way for your get your audio running to your PC. Screwing around with the internals of your computer when you are not comfortable with it is a bad recipe, not to mention someone would have to walk you through the process of getting the sound to run through the card after the cables are connected.

May 6, 2010 6:16:24 PM

JofaMang said:
The small headphone jack connection can be convereted to the red/white cables with a $2 converter, as seen here:
http://budgetgamer.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/audio1-r...

This would probably be the least stressful way for your get your audio running to your PC. Screwing around with the internals of your computer when you are not comfortable with it is a bad recipe, not to mention someone would have to walk you through the process of getting the sound to run through the card after the cables are connected.

Thanks for the replies...So with that adapter cable though since im hooking it up from my PC to my TV don't I need the RED/White plugs to be Male? or does it need to be a dual end adapter like that picture so i can plug my stereo into one end than another red/white from the computer and then to the TV?
May 6, 2010 6:16:43 PM

as JofaMang stated, use your SPDIF cable. The white 2 pin connects to your video card, Orange and Black connect to the mobo.

May 6, 2010 6:16:47 PM

ct1615 said:
as JofaMang stated, use your SPDIF cable. The white 2 pin connects to your video card, Orange and Black connect to the mobo.

And I am sure ct1615 can instruct you on how to enable it through Windows as well, once that is achieved.

Both ways will work, but the easier way (for you) includes having an extra cable between your PC and the TV. Pros and Cons. :D 
May 6, 2010 6:18:36 PM

wyattfamily said:
Thanks for the replies...So with that adapter cable though since im hooking it up from my PC to my TV don't I need the RED/White plugs to be Male? or does it need to be a dual end adapter like that picture so i can plug my stereo into one end than another red/white from the computer and then to the TV?

With that adaptor, you can run a normal female/female cable between your TV and that adapter. Then plug that adapter into the headphone jack that your would normally plug your PC speakers into.
May 6, 2010 6:24:45 PM

JofaMang said:
With that adaptor, you can run a normal female/female cable between your TV and that adapter. Then plug that adapter into the headphone jack that your would normally plug your PC speakers into.

Ok I get how that will get sound from my PC to my TV but If I wanted to do sound from my PC to my TV Via my stereo which is hooked up to the TV it just uses the simple Red/White plugs but wouldn't I need like a double end female adapter to do the mini audio plug in the back of my pc then connect from that mini plug the yellow/white audio to the adpater and then my stereo to an adapter and then plug those into the back of the TV via a male red/white?
a b x TV
May 6, 2010 6:27:42 PM

All you need is the adapter JofaMang suggests and MALE/MALE cables (Red/White) to connect from the adapter to your TV/Receiver.

Another option would be if your receiver had either type of Digital Input (Coax or Optical S/PDIF).

-Wolf sends

Edit: I'm pretty sure you can disregard any suggestions about running audio through your graphics card. I don't believe the 8800GTS-640 supports audio
May 6, 2010 6:30:51 PM

If your TV has an general audio output (all sound that is being put out over the speakers, on the current utilized input, gets outputed from the back of the TV) then you would use a normal female/female from that sound output on the TV to the desired input on the stereo. You would still connect your PC to your TV in the same way described above, as the TV sound output jack would reroute/duplicate the sound to your stereo.
May 6, 2010 6:33:56 PM

that makes sense now oh wow brain fart...so could I just simply use a Mini-Audio plug from my PC to my TV and then just run my stereo/AUX for sound as well right? don't even need an adapter then right?
May 6, 2010 6:48:29 PM

Before I go out let me recap to make sure I buy the right cables.

#1 A DVI-HDMI cable for my video card to my tv HDMI port.

Also I read in my TV manual HDMI-DVI connection it picutres a cable box but im guessing it dont matter it says to use an RCA cable so should I just buy a Mini plug - RCA Audio cable and that RCA connection is right under the HDMI connection on my TV so i'm guessing the sound will work just fine if I buy a Mini plug - RCA connection right?

#2 Mini-plug - RCA audible cable

will that do the trick for me?
May 6, 2010 6:59:02 PM

Thanks for the help guys just want to make sure with my last post above i'm buying the right stuff before I head out to my local radio shack...sorry to be a nuisance but I think once someone can tell me that's correct or not i'll feel comfortable heading out the door lol.
May 6, 2010 6:59:56 PM

If you have an HDMI cable already, you can just buy the converter for a few bucks. If your TV has DVI inputes, you can use a DVI cable instead of screwing around with converters.

Correct.

Should be good to go, report back if any issues :D 
May 6, 2010 7:03:03 PM

Thanks so much JofaMang for your help! I do have an HDMI cable hooked up to my Playstation 3 so maybe an adapter will be a good choice huh since I have to unplug the PS3 HDMI connection anyways since my other HDMI is the cable box? But does it make the video quality lessen? And No my TV doesn't have DVI input just a VGA and 2 HDMI's.

May 6, 2010 7:26:03 PM

DVI can be converted to VGA for no penalty. So that is another money saving option if you have a VGA cable, just buy the DVI to VGA converter. This would also allow you to connect all 3 devices and avoid having to swap cables all together. Also, the RCA sound inputs may not correlate to an HDMI slot, but the VGA input would have a sound input of its own, though it may not be RCA, but a single headphone jack type sound input, i know that is how my TV is.

To be safe, just buy two RCA-headphone converters (they are cheap). This way, if you can use RCA inputs for the sound, one will be all you need. But if you need to use a headphone jack input, you won't need a seperate cable (just use the other converter on the TV input).
May 6, 2010 7:34:41 PM

Thanks for the replies man! really appreciate it...But doesn't VGA lower the resolution I wont be able to run at 1080p. In my TV manual it shows HDMI(1) jack and the RCA audio right below it and it shows a picture of a DVI-HDMI cable and an audio cable connecting to it (the picture is a cable box) but again dont think that matters. It says below it in small text *HDMI-DVI connections requires a seperate audio connection via RCA.

So I think I will be safe running a mini to RCA 2 plug that goes below HDMI(1) ...at least im hoping
May 6, 2010 7:49:01 PM

I run 1080p over my VGA converted from DVI at the Videocard and have noticed no loss of quality. The DVI capabilities (double DVI) are for much higher resolutions, afaik, and you can't convert a native VGA output to HDMI like you can with DVI.
May 13, 2010 1:03:48 AM

Best answer selected by wyattfamily.
!