Sign in with
Your question

Wireless USB

Last response: in Components
August 12, 2010 3:44:28 PM

Hey I was looking for a wireless USB for a decent price. I think wireless-n is the one i want but i dont know which one to trust. Any ideas?

More about : wireless usb

August 17, 2010 3:32:52 PM

anyone?
August 17, 2010 4:02:30 PM

im using TP-link 108 mbps wirless adapter its very good no crashes or losing connection but i do recommend you to get PCI wirless adapter its live longer and dont have errors of the usb ports
Related resources
a b F Wireless
August 18, 2010 1:42:00 AM

I installed a Linksys WMP 600N wireless card (PCI) and am very pleased with the performance of it. Within a month, I ordered another card for a second desktop. Am happy with both WMP 600N cards.

And these cards have WPA2 security (recommended)
August 18, 2010 2:54:50 AM

is a card really that much better than the usb? i was really leaning towards the usb just because of the ease of use
August 18, 2010 3:57:17 AM

hmm ok is it easy to install one? and any suggestions for a card?
a b F Wireless
August 18, 2010 11:27:58 AM

cpark90 said:
hmm ok is it easy to install one? and any suggestions for a card?

Read product reviews, and go with a card, NOT a USB wireless interface. I have two WMP 600N cards in 2 desktops working flawlessly!

Here is the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This card installs in a PCI slot - straight forward installation, and has WPA2 security (WEP is practically worthless)
August 18, 2010 8:15:19 PM

i havent even built the computer yet so will i have trouble with running out of pci slots if i'm using a asus 890fx?
August 18, 2010 8:17:44 PM

ive also heard that linksys cards have trouble working with other companies routers... is that true? we have a belkin 150mbs wireless g hoping to eventually upgrade
a b F Wireless
August 19, 2010 1:27:48 AM

Stay away from Rosewill - Rosewill is crap! Before buying Linksys, I thought that I could get a bargain from Rosewill. Ended up RMAing the $24 Rosewill product, and after paying UPS shipping charges plus Newegg's re-stocking fee, I got $5 back!

I wondered how Newegg would re-stock crap! The product didn't work in the first place!

Now I have two Linksys WMP 600N wireless cards in two desktops - very satisfied!
August 19, 2010 1:33:20 AM

hmmm well the 600N seems a bit pricey for me but i guess this is one of those things that you cant put a price on performance...
August 19, 2010 1:33:57 AM

it works well with win 7 64bit?
a b F Wireless
August 19, 2010 2:16:02 AM

Works perfectly with Windows 7 64-bit, including gaming. When I installed mine over 6 months ago, Linksys was in the process of updating drivers for Win7, and I had to call tech support to get the card up and running - no big deal. The card in the XP desktop was no problem at all - plugged in and it worked right away.

By now, I am sure that the drivers for Win7 are all updated.

The other desktop has Windows XP Professional - works perfectly on it too

(Linksys WMP 600N)
a b F Wireless
August 19, 2010 2:22:56 AM

What type of motherboard do you have?

To install wireless cards in some motherboards you may have to remove one of the screws that attach the wireless card to the mounting bracket. Or else it will interfere with the Front Panel connector that plugs in into the motherboard.

This is very minor and should not sway you towards a USB wireless device - the USBs don't work very well.
August 19, 2010 2:24:32 AM

ooo and is it worth trying to get a refurbished one, because otherwise i cant afford it..
a b F Wireless
August 19, 2010 2:37:04 AM

If it is a Linksys WMP 600N, I would go for it, refurbished. The PCI wireless card, NOT the USB wireless device.
August 19, 2010 2:40:39 AM

yea i believe thats the card
a b F Wireless
August 19, 2010 2:47:50 AM

I just looked at your mobo layout. Which PCI slot is open? PCI1 or PCI2?

Did you notice how close the IE1394 connector plug is to PCI slot 2? That may (not sure) cause an interference problem with PCI cards. There is a slim chance that it might interfere, and if it does, you know the solution now.

Also, check for clearance over the caps (the cards have slots cut out, but the screw head may present a problem. Check before installing.
August 19, 2010 2:56:55 AM

ok this is my first time building so i'm confused about most of the things that you just said lol
August 19, 2010 3:23:06 AM

thank you soooo much for the help, what else do i need the PCI slots for?
a b F Wireless
August 19, 2010 3:41:12 AM

From Wiki:

Typical PCI cards used in PCs include: network cards, sound cards, modems, extra ports such as USB or serial, TV tuner cards and disk controllers. Historically video cards were typically PCI devices, but growing bandwidth requirements soon outgrew the capabilities of PCI. PCI video cards remain available for supporting extra monitors and upgrading PCs that do not have any AGP or PCI Express slots.
Many devices traditionally provided on expansion cards are now commonly integrated onto the motherboard itself, meaning that modern PCs often have no cards fitted. However, PCI is still used for certain specialized cards, although many tasks traditionally performed by expansion cards may now be performed equally well by USB devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI
August 19, 2010 3:54:15 AM

hmm what are the differences between the pci express 2.0 x 16, PCI Express x4,PCI Express x1, and regular PCI slots? i still havent ordered the card cus i'm worried i wont have room. does it go in the same slots as a video card? if so then will i have room to crossfire later?
a b F Wireless
August 19, 2010 4:12:15 AM

This Linksys WMP 600N goes into a PCI slot, not into the video card slots (PCI Express).

If you look at your motherboard layout. you will see two PCI slots (light blue color) at the very bottom of the motherboard. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The wireless card goes into either one of these two slots - NOT into the video card slots.

The PCIEx16 slots (two dark blue color) are for the video cards - if you Crossfire make sure that BOTH cards are identical cards.

The other two slots PCIEx1 and PCIEx4 are for cards like sound cards, wireless cards, TV Tuner cards, USB3 port card, extra USB2 ports, eSATA port, etc.

The Linksys WMP 600N card goes into a PCI slot, which is totally different from the video card slot.
August 19, 2010 4:34:56 AM

thanks! purchasing now, youve been VERY helpful!
a b F Wireless
August 19, 2010 9:49:26 PM

Just today I transferred the WMP 600N from my XP desktop to my friend's Vista desktop. Worked flawlessly!

The WMP 600N card in the Win7 computer is also running great.

Now I am looking for sale pricing on a 3rd. WMP 600N - I am in no hurry, and can wait until Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving) sales promotions. Great deals on EVERYTHING in all stores including online, on Black Friday.
!