Sign in with
Your question

Photo editing machine

Last response: in Systems
June 12, 2010 5:17:51 PM

Hi All:

I am building a new machine primarily to edit photos, but also for web design, DTP and a little video editing. No games, but will watch the occasional movie.

I have pretty much settled on the i7 930, which I plan to overclock.

The main programs I use are Capture NX2, CS5 Photoshop, Dreamweaver and InDesign, in that order, on 64-bit Win 7 Pro or Ultimate. So I have settled on 12GB RAM and I'm looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..." target="_blank">.

Had been thinking about the Asus P6X58D Premium. But after reading tons of reports on the web about the trouble folks have had running six sticks of fast RAM and noting that even Asus does not recommend more than three in this mobo, I'm considering the Rampage III Extreme. Am I being too cautious?

Because of the limited video editing I plan to buy a GTX260 in the hope I can use a hack for CS5 Premier's ability to use Cuda. Should also allow me to watch the odd movie on a Dell 2410 LCD. I later plan to add another similar monitor.

Other components include a Hef 932 case, Corsair MX850, 3 X 1TB Barra

More about : photo editing machine

June 12, 2010 7:28:15 PM

Whoops, don't know what happened there ...

Other components include a Hef 932 case, Corsair MX850 PSU, 3 X 1TB Barracuda 7200.12s, Cosage Arrow with two 140mm cfm fans -- is that enough ? -- two optical drives and a Sata card reader-cum-US ports-cum-eSata card. Will add an SSD or two when prices drop and reliability improves.

Hope to get four or five years out of the rig, and expect I might upgrade the CPU and RAM in that time.

Any critique, comments or insight appreciated.

Thanks
Jav_01
!