Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What do u guys do with ur old H/W when updating???

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 12, 2010 3:44:33 PM

hello........
do u resale it or just keep it......
how frequently u update ur PC?
i was just wondering......... :D 

More about : guys updating

a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 3:51:04 PM

I keep it in a closet with hopes of ebaying it eventually for some cash, never gets around to it though, gladly I don't upgrade often. XD

(Wonder if theres anyone that smashes their old hardware when they get new ones, lol)

August 12, 2010 3:54:36 PM

i live in india, i heard that in american countries they update often and trash their old things like anything.......
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 3:55:35 PM

old hardware is sold immediately
August 12, 2010 3:59:06 PM

xaira said:
old hardware is sold immediately

ok but at what cost? suppose i buy a i5 for 120$(just example) today and want to sell after 2 or 3 months then how much i will get(in ur country...)? :ange: 
August 12, 2010 4:12:25 PM

do you guys sell on ebay or to people you know?
If you sell it on ebay what's a good way to package stuff if you don't have the original packaging.

I'm getting a new setup soon and will have a E6600 Core2Duo 2.4ghz CPU, an Intel mobo 775, 2 gigs of ddr2 533mhz ram and a 8800 GTS 640mb video card I won't need anymore. You think they are worth selling?
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 4:16:03 PM

Shirosaki said:
do you guys sell on ebay or to people you know?
If you sell it on ebay what's a good way to package stuff if you don't have the original packaging.

I'm getting a new setup soon and will have a E6600 Core2Duo 2.4ghz CPU, an Intel mobo 775, 2 gigs of ddr2 533mhz ram and a 8800 GTS 640mb video card I won't need anymore. You think they are worth selling?

Throw it in an antistatic bag, then put it in a box with packing peanuts/foam/bubble wrap.
August 12, 2010 4:19:02 PM

i also want to sell my Palit GeForce 9400 GT Super Plus 1 GB......
August 12, 2010 4:26:33 PM

Timop said:
Throw it in an antistatic bag, then put it in a box with packing peanuts/foam/bubble wrap.

ok thanks. I just got on ebay and searched my hardware and it looks like I could make atleast 100 dollars off all of my hardware.

Where would I get antistatic bags at? Would they be at Walmart or Best Buy?
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 4:30:26 PM

Shirosaki said:
ok thanks. I just got on ebay and searched my hardware and it looks like I could make atleast 100 dollars off all of my hardware.

Where would I get antistatic bags at? Would they be at Walmart or Best Buy?

Sorry, I'm not sure about that, I personally have plenty leftover from old GPUs and Mobos. :pt1cable: 

You should be able to get them from computer shops, like Compusa. Amazon has then though, http://www.amazon.com/Antistatic-Bags-Resealable-6X10-P...
August 12, 2010 4:34:02 PM

do we really need to upgrade every 6 months or so.....???
i don't think so.... but people update their PC very often........i don't know what's the point in updating so often???
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 4:47:54 PM

some wealthy folks update often, (mac heads) i just keep my pc up to date with what deals i get in relation to my current financial situation, 2 months ago, i had a x4 945, 6gigs of ram and a 9800gtx+, now (check the sig) i dont upgrade unless im getting a deal thats too good to pass up, usually when i sell parts i can sell them for a profit because im such a deal hunter

im sure india has some kind of underground hardware trade, find other tekkies, there must be some local forum where used parts are traded

currently in negotiations to get a Q6600 for $80 USD : )

IN A MONTH MY SIG SHOULD SAY

i3 540 l 4GB DDR3 l HD 5750 (ultra quiet ultra low power)
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 4:55:47 PM

i put it in a box that goes in my closet (i hate throwing things away)
August 12, 2010 5:03:56 PM

jefe323 said:
i put it in a box that goes in my closet (i hate throwing things away)

ya me too........ but if u get a good deal then give them...... i sell my P4 3.0 GHZ for 24$(1 month ago)... :sol:  then i got my Q8300..... :sol: 
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 5:26:04 PM

p4 3.0, im surprised you got that sold atall
August 12, 2010 5:32:58 PM

xaira said:
p4 3.0, im surprised you got that sold atall

ya i sold it to a local PC dealer... and buy-back a Quad...
my P4 is 775 socket one's and had a 2MB L2 cache.. still good for normal usage... i played COD MW2 on my P4...... :D 
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 6:12:56 PM

I usually sell in on eBay but after reading Tom's article on mining it for gold, that's what I do.
August 12, 2010 6:24:38 PM

I either find a new use for it (e.g. when I get around to upgrading my Atom server the motherboard will go into a DMZ server that I can access at home while travelling), give it away or stack it up in the basement.

The one exception is unwanted RAM, as in the past I've often been able to sell it for almost what I paid for it.
a c 83 à CPUs
August 12, 2010 7:04:41 PM

I've got 4 working PCs in my room, sure I'll have more by next year. lol I've also got some old parts in my closet, some other parts went to my parents computer and friends computers. I don't throw the stuff away, but I don't sell it either.
a c 172 à CPUs
August 12, 2010 7:51:14 PM

I have three working systems: a gaming and multimedia system, a workhorse system, and a torrent system that I built out of leftover parts.

I use any usable parts left over to build "giveaway" systems.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 8:11:23 PM

Quote:
what a torrent system?System used to explore dark side of internet.

torrenting is perfectly legal...its just what you torrent that can get you in trouble...
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 8:24:39 PM

Quote:
PPl visit torrent site to download illegal free stuff.They donot visit it to read world news or download drm protected itunes song.

don't generalize. Yes, a lot of people do use torrents for illegal activity, but it is also a very efficient way to distribute files

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)

Best solution

a c 123 à CPUs
August 12, 2010 8:25:26 PM

rohn_avni said:
i live in india, i heard that in american countries they update often and trash their old things like anything.......

Wow. You get that kind of info eh? You would be suprised at the way it actually is here in the US. Most people donate old stuff that is still useable such as clothes, electronics and the such.

As for me, I hand mine down to family or friends if they need them. My fiance is using my 7 year old P4 system. Considering its age though its still pretty good. Can play TF2 decently at almost max. I am using one of my grandparents machines that decided to run too hot as a HTPC.

Hell I even have my fiances old POS eMachine that I tried to upgrade and still was crappy. But it just sits in the closet.
a c 106 à CPUs
August 12, 2010 8:45:04 PM

Once I have accumulated a range of parts, I'll add the one or two remaining pieces (like a mobo) and donate it or give it to a family member or friend. I've also sold a couple of machines, typically for half the replacement cost of their parts, because they were no longer worth much to me.
I will only trash things that are ancient (like a S939 board a month or two ago) or that I know to be flaky.
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 12:52:00 AM

man, u mad, 939 still pumpin
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 1:17:20 AM

I fix it up, and give them to people who don't have PC's. Since I recently moved, I don't have much hardware laying around. Then again, I only upgrade once every three years.
August 13, 2010 1:18:21 AM

wow... that's good...i also give my DDR 1 400 Mhz to a friend for just 10$ , where-as i could get minimum 15$ for my stick if i want......
a c 106 à CPUs
August 13, 2010 9:35:53 AM

The S939 board was out of a system that croaked. With a single core 3200 on it, I did not think it was worth the effort to see what parts of it, if any, were still good. I saved the DDR RAM though, but I have no way to test it myself. I may give it away.
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 10:20:32 AM

Even i like to sell stuff. But heck i never got around actually doing it. I am from India too. But i still have my PIII lying around at home also a P4!
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 11:56:50 AM

Kinda like other people here. I have old parts lying around here. Mainly for if something happens in either a friend or mine computer, i have spare parts to either test or give.

A while back i decided to add two 256MB ddr1 rams in my current computer that where in my last computer (no i didn't need the ram but if it's laying around, might as well use it right ;)  ), Then also have a Asus Geforce FX 5200 AGP card incase my current Evga geforce 6200 AGP card blows up.

Then i also have a dead Evga geforce 6200 AGP that i show off to other people what the gpu looks like underneath the HS/HSF and what an electrolytic capacitor looks like when it blown up. :whistle: 

I also have this IDE HDD switch where you place this thing in a 5.25" drive bay and you swapped between 3 drives. Good little thing if you didn't know how to setup a multi boot for multiple os's. Strangely though im actually able to remember where my dad got that and that was at microcenter in cinncinati. Even though this was like 8+ years ago :heink: 

I know that what i have more than that but off the top of my head that all that i can remember :lol: 
January 14, 2013 9:07:33 PM

Best answer selected by rohn_avni.
!