Sign in with
Your question

SB i5 2500k, Asus P8P67 issue, Corsair 4gb

Last response: in Motherboards
March 8, 2011 9:04:14 PM

Hi!
I'm not even sure where this question would fit in better, so I'll just put it inside 'Motherboards & Memory' as it might cover everything.

So, these are the parts i just brought today:
*Corsair 2x2GB DDR3, 1600 mhz, CL9, XMS3, rev. A
*CPU i5 2500k
*Asus P8P67
*Cooler Arctic Cooling Freezer 13
*SSD Corsair Force series 60GB SATA-II 2.5 inch

This wasn't the first system I assembled so I could say I know my way around decently. However, for about 4 hours I couldn't get it to POST at least.

Problem: I press the power button, the CPU fan spins for ~1 second then stops and nothing else happens.
-the power led on the mobo is powered on
-the hdd/power indicators on the chassis blinks for a second and then stop

I have tried:
-try to boot with the basics plugged in: 2gb ram, cpu, fan, ATI HD4890, 24 pin and 8 pin PSU connectors plugged into the mobo (so no fans, HDDs, peripherals)
-boot by touching the power pins on the mobo with a screwdriver
-reset cmos

Anyone has any ideas about what else could cause it? I know for a fact that the PSU was working on the previous computer about 30 minutes before moving it.
Please help if you know something!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2011 10:18:35 PM

Have you had a look at the troubleshooting guide just to make sure you haven't overlooked any possible issues?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

If nothing in that guide helps...can you test your ram in another computer, and also, have you ensured it's fully seated? I don't see the size of your psu listed; is it adequate?

I don't have a ton of troubleshooting knowledge because I've been lucky enough to not receive a DOA part in any of my 5 builds yet, so sorry if none of that was helpful. :) 
m
l
March 8, 2011 10:35:00 PM

Taking a look at that now!
And i knew i forgot something, the PSU is Corsair 850TX, so i assume that will do more than fine :p 
m
l
Related resources
a c 107 V Motherboard
March 8, 2011 11:15:03 PM

Are you using the correct slots for RAM?

Should be:
Slot 1 (closest to CPU): Empty
Slot 2: RAM
Slot 3: Empty
Slot 4: RAM
m
l
March 8, 2011 11:17:06 PM

When i tried with both sticks, yes...however it didn't boot with only one either.
m
l
!