Sign in with
Your question

Is my Vertex2 very slow? (Macbook PRO)

Last response: in Storage
August 4, 2012 12:31:15 PM

Hi,

I mounted a Vertex 2 in my mid 2010 macbook pro.
It went from starting in 36 sec to 18 sec, so it defiantly helped there.

But when running Blackmagic disk speed, i "only" get flat out 70 mb write and flat out 180 mb read.

The disk is rated 275 write and 285 read.
The mac has data 3gb.

Is this just what it can deliver, or is it going slow? :heink: 

I had the disk in a HP pavilion dv6500 too, and i did get ca. the same read/write speed there.

I dont feel so very impressed about this disk.. I feel it always have been slow. :sleep: 

Regards
Fredrik
a c 88 G Storage
August 4, 2012 12:38:33 PM

Disk speed benchmarks are only accurate when the disk is empty. I recommend using Atto Disk Benchmark, make sure you turn off direct i/o
August 4, 2012 12:43:10 PM

Pinhedd said:
Disk speed benchmarks are only accurate when the disk is empty. I recommend using Atto Disk Benchmark, make sure you turn off direct i/o

Hello, thanks for your answer :) 

I read somewhere that Atto was good, tried to find in online but i failed.
Could you provide me with a link where i can download it?
Or do i have to buy it?

And, does it work in OS X? :) 

Fredrik
Related resources
August 4, 2012 1:19:12 PM

Pinhedd said:
http://www.attotech.com/products/product.php?sku=Disk_B...

It's freely available but registration is required

EDIT: No it doesn't work in OSX. Use a real desktop OS :) 

Right :D  Im just using the mac for internet browsing and stuff like that.. :kaola: 

But, would it be possible to remove the SSD and connect it to my stationary windows pc and test it there?
Or would that give wrong results? :) 
a c 88 G Storage
August 4, 2012 2:48:18 PM

alpejohn said:
Right :D  Im just using the mac for internet browsing and stuff like that.. :kaola: 

But, would it be possible to remove the SSD and connect it to my stationary windows pc and test it there?
Or would that give wrong results? :) 

Atto works at the filesystem level (it physically creates a file on the logical volume) which means that you'd have to do away with the HFS+ formatted volume if you want to test it on Windows
August 4, 2012 2:50:31 PM

Pinhedd said:
Atto works at the filesystem level (it physically creates a file on the logical volume) which means that you'd have to do away with the HFS+ formatted volume if you want to test it on Windows

Hm..

So i should just be happy and hope it works well? :p 

I read an article on this site about the vertex 2 and slow problems.. But didnt understand all of it.
Hopefully its working as it should.. :) 

Thanks!
August 4, 2012 3:18:25 PM

It seems to be working fine. Keep in mind that an SSD rarely hits it's rated speeds, especially older SSDs and/or SandForce SSDs.
August 4, 2012 3:21:21 PM

Also, Blackmagic uses incompressible data if I remember correctly and that is a big hamper on SandForce SSD performance. The Vertex 2 seems to use a SandForce controller that relies on compression to get its performance target and if it can't compress the data, then it can't hit its performance target nor get close.
August 4, 2012 4:44:43 PM

alphaalphaalpha said:
Also, Blackmagic uses incompressible data if I remember correctly and that is a big hamper on SandForce SSD performance. The Vertex 2 seems to use a SandForce controller that relies on compression to get its performance target and if it can't compress the data, then it can't hit its performance target nor get close.

Oh i see!
Thanks for the information! :) 

Fredrik
a c 88 G Storage
August 4, 2012 4:53:46 PM

Yeah the sandforce controllers love compressible data.

To be completely honest the biggest boon for SSDs isn't in the data throughput, it's in the response time. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in a double blind test between a SATA II SSD with a first generation Sandforce controller and a SATA III SSD with a second generation sandforce controller. The difference is mostly in synthetic benchmarks, a difference that doesn't translate nicely into real world observation.

What you should do though is make sure that the device has the latest firmware installed. Whether or not there's a Sandforce updater for OSX though is another matter entirely :whistle: 
August 4, 2012 6:26:21 PM

Dereck47 said:
Here's a link that shows the advertised speeds of Vertex 2 drives using incompressible data: http://www.ocztechnology.com/images/OCZ_Vertex2_2.5_AS-...

Looks like my 120gb is almost as should be, im 10mb under on write.. It should be 80 but i get 70.
Read can go up to 190 after the test has been going for a few times. :)  So its not SO bad :) 

Thanks for the info :) 
a c 542 G Storage
August 4, 2012 6:33:09 PM

No problem
August 4, 2012 7:14:31 PM

Sounds like your Mac has Sata 2 so you dont get full Sata 3 rated speeds.
a c 542 G Storage
August 4, 2012 7:18:37 PM

daship said:
Sounds like your Mac has Sata 2 so you dont get full Sata 3 rated speeds.

The Vertex 2 is a SATA 2 drive.
!