Sign in with
Your question

Installing a Sapphire HD 5670 graphics card on an HP m7100e running Windows 7 64

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 6, 2010 6:50:47 PM

I tried installing a Sapphire Radeon HD5670 512MB VGA graphics card on an HP m7100e computer (Athlon 64 X2 dual-processor 4200+, Asus A8AE-LE mobo, 2.5GB RAM). The power supply was supposed to be adequate and the mobo had a PCI-e X16 slot. I updated the BIOS and set it to choose the PCI-Express slot, expecting the card to work (even if not at its highest potential because it probably isn't the latest version of PCI-Express).

The card's fan spun on start up but the screen went black regardless of whether the monitor was plugged into the on board PCI Xpress 200 output or the Sapphire card.

I tried the drivers on the card's accompanying CD, the latest Catalyst drivers, the 9.1 drivers, and letting Windows 7 select the graphics driver. None worked.

I had the card checked out by the vendor and they indicated that it is working fine.

How do I get it to work?

AND/OR

What is the fastest compatible Radeon series GPU that will work with this computer?
May 6, 2010 6:58:21 PM

I had this problem when my 5870 didnt get any power try with other psu?
May 6, 2010 7:00:39 PM

Connect the screen to the motherboard, if you see anything the computer doesnt find the card.
Related resources
May 7, 2010 12:54:30 AM

Hedgehog Headache,

I've been having the same exact problem as you. You can read my problem here.

The problem is, your motherboard has a PCI-E 1.0 x16 slot, and the video card you bought is PCI-E 2.1 x16. They're supposed to be compatible but they're not because you motherboard bios doesn't support PCI-E 2.1 x16.

Your best bet would be to return the card and stay away from the Radeon 5000 series cards as all of them are PCI-E 2.1, even if the website you buy it from says PCI-E 2.0, and the graphics card's box says PCI-E 2.0 it's really PCI-E 2.1.

Any Radeon HD4000 series GPU should be compatible with your computer, as long as your power supply is strong enough to run it. Obviously though, a PCI-E 2.0 graphics card will run at PCI-E 1.0 speeds in your motherboard.
May 7, 2010 12:54:54 PM

So a Radeon HD 4850, 4870, or 4890 should work in an HP m7100e computer (Asus Amberine mobo) ?
May 7, 2010 4:29:03 PM

They should work with your motherboard, but I would be more worried about your power supply with those high-end cards. I'm pretty sure that from the 4750 on up requires a power connector, or an adapter that will convert 2 Molex to 1 PCI-E power connector.

If you're still using the stock HP power supply I'm sure it's no more than 350 watts or so, and does not have a PCI-E power connector, but a 4670 should work in it because it draws all of it's power from the PCI-E x16 slot.
May 16, 2010 9:46:12 PM

I had this problem once with a few graphics cards and this might fix it. Look on the back of your computer on the power supply. There should be a red switch that controls voltage. Try unplugging the pc switching that and turning it back on. Hope this helps.
May 16, 2010 9:59:37 PM

That very well may cause his computer to turn into a fireworks show.
May 23, 2010 12:24:32 PM

CorsairFreak said:
Hedgehog Headache,

I've been having the same exact problem as you. You can read my problem here.

The problem is, your motherboard has a PCI-E 1.0 x16 slot, and the video card you bought is PCI-E 2.1 x16. They're supposed to be compatible but they're not because you motherboard bios doesn't support PCI-E 2.1 x16.

Your best bet would be to return the card and stay away from the Radeon 5000 series cards as all of them are PCI-E 2.1, even if the website you buy it from says PCI-E 2.0, and the graphics card's box says PCI-E 2.0 it's really PCI-E 2.1.

Any Radeon HD4000 series GPU should be compatible with your computer, as long as your power supply is strong enough to run it. Obviously though, a PCI-E 2.0 graphics card will run at PCI-E 1.0 speeds in your motherboard.

Thank you for your response. It turns out that the problem was not the power supply. Eventually I tried out a Radeon 4650. It ran fine but did not make enough of a difference over the onboard graphics. You are right. The motherboard BIOS did not support the Radeon 5670. The solution appears to be either buying or building a new computer.
May 23, 2010 5:08:23 PM

That's unfortunate that the 4650 did not give you much of a performance boost. I bought a 4670 Turbo off of ebay and amazingly I'm able to run all but the newest games on max settings at 1920 x 1080 resolution. I'm sure it would be even faster with a better motherboard. But, that's the problem with these OEM computers. You become a slave to the cheap motherboard.
!