Pentium M Hot

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
October 20, 2004 3:47:45 AM

After using a P-233 that gets hot I've been looking at new laptops with the
Pentium M because i thought that they ran cooler. I went to Best Buy and
physically touched all the laptops to see which were the coolest. The
Pentium M was actually hot while the P-4 was cooler (In general). I realize
that many/most were on for many hours but why was the P-M hotter than the
P-4?

Thanks
Bob

More about : pentium hot

October 20, 2004 3:59:34 AM

Bob <bobdawn1@verizon.net> wrote:
: After using a P-233 that gets hot I've been looking at new laptops with the
: Pentium M because i thought that they ran cooler. I went to Best Buy and
: physically touched all the laptops to see which were the coolest. The
: Pentium M was actually hot while the P-4 was cooler (In general). I realize
: that many/most were on for many hours but why was the P-M hotter than the
: P-4?

CPU chips get hotter when they are under a load (running some
intensive software) instead of just sitting idle waiting for a mouse
click. If the Pentium M machine was using 100% of the CPU for
some software and had been for a while, no wonder it was hot. By
contrast the P4 may have been idling. Hard to know unless I could see
it for myself...

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

> After using a P-233 that gets hot I've been looking at new laptops with
the
> Pentium M because i thought that they ran cooler. I went to Best Buy and
> physically touched all the laptops to see which were the coolest. The
> Pentium M was actually hot while the P-4 was cooler (In general). I
realize
> that many/most were on for many hours but why was the P-M hotter than the
> P-4?

Look at the Acer 800, 660, 8000 series.

The same case like the 630 series for so called "mobile" P4

So the thermal design is practicall for much hoter CPUs.

Also the fan operation is designed to hold the CPU below a temperature.

Pentium-M idling - no fan - surface of case becomes warm
P4 idling - fan runing - surface of case remains cooler

--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization

Because devil seat in details. So what that you have got less power
comsuming with P M proc if ventilation design is not finished properly (not
necessary in this case). I have P4 3G in notebook case and during heavy
work, with room temperature about 25 it doesn't go over 50 degrees. Put P M
in completly close box and you will see it will heat up or not.

Regards,

K.Polak
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 20, 2004 4:37:26 PM

How do you determine the temperature? From the exhausted air?

"Krystian Polak" <krpolak@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
> Because devil seat in details. So what that you have got less power
> comsuming with P M proc if ventilation design is not finished properly
(not
> necessary in this case). I have P4 3G in notebook case and during heavy
> work, with room temperature about 25 it doesn't go over 50 degrees. Put P
> in completly close box and you will see it will heat up or not.
>
> Regards,
>
> K.Polak

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 20, 2004 11:07:55 PM

> How do you determine the temperature? From the exhausted air?

No, from thermal sensor integrated with silicon structure.

Regards,

K.Polak
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 21, 2004 3:28:34 AM

Bob wrote:
> After using a P-233 that gets hot I've been looking at new laptops with the
> Pentium M because i thought that they ran cooler. I went to Best Buy and
> physically touched all the laptops to see which were the coolest. The
> Pentium M was actually hot while the P-4 was cooler (In general). I realize
> that many/most were on for many hours but why was the P-M hotter than the
> P-4?
>
> Thanks
> Bob

Couple things. First, system load. If one system was running a
screensaver, while another had recently been touched as so wasn't
running the screensaver for a few minutes, the screensaver one will be
hotter.

Second, how did you measure the temp? The hotspot will be wherever the
laptop blows out out air. Some laptops blow air out the left side,
others out the rear right corner, and so on.
October 22, 2004 3:35:26 AM

I physically was touching the bottom of the laptops. Most were running a
demo game loop so no screan saver and were not idle. I guess the bottom line
is is the Pentium M the one to get if you want cooler operation and long
battery life? Would you shy away from an intergrated video w/ shared memory?
The Gateway 4520 seemed like a good buy but had intergrated video though
i'll unlikely use it for games i'm still not excited about it.

Bob

"timeOday" <timeOday-UNSPAM@theknack.net> wrote in message
> Bob wrote:
> > After using a P-233 that gets hot I've been looking at new laptops with
the
> > Pentium M because i thought that they ran cooler. I went to Best Buy and
> > physically touched all the laptops to see which were the coolest. The
> > Pentium M was actually hot while the P-4 was cooler (In general). I
realize
> > that many/most were on for many hours but why was the P-M hotter than
the
> > P-4?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Bob
> >

> Couple things. First, system load. If one system was running a
> screensaver, while another had recently been touched as so wasn't
> running the screensaver for a few minutes, the screensaver one will be
> hotter.
>
> Second, how did you measure the temp? The hotspot will be wherever the
> laptop blows out out air. Some laptops blow air out the left side,
> others out the rear right corner, and so on.
October 22, 2004 9:14:45 AM

Bob <bobdawn1@verizon.net> wrote:
: I physically was touching the bottom of the laptops. Most were running a
: demo game loop so no screan saver and were not idle. I guess the bottom line
: is is the Pentium M the one to get if you want cooler operation and long
: battery life? Would you shy away from an intergrated video w/ shared memory?
: The Gateway 4520 seemed like a good buy but had intergrated video though
: i'll unlikely use it for games i'm still not excited about it.

I think shared video RAM is OK if you have at least 512MB of RAM and
you are not going to use it for games or other graphics-intensive
stuff. There's nothing wrong with shared if you are mostly doing web
pages and spread sheets.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

Andrew wrote:
> Bob <bobdawn1@verizon.net> wrote:
> : I physically was touching the bottom of the laptops. Most were running a
> : demo game loop so no screan saver and were not idle. I guess the bottom line
> : is is the Pentium M the one to get if you want cooler operation and long
> : battery life? Would you shy away from an intergrated video w/ shared memory?
> : The Gateway 4520 seemed like a good buy but had intergrated video though
> : i'll unlikely use it for games i'm still not excited about it.
>
> I think shared video RAM is OK if you have at least 512MB of RAM and
> you are not going to use it for games or other graphics-intensive
> stuff. There's nothing wrong with shared if you are mostly doing web
> pages and spread sheets.
>
> Andrew

I agree "shared video" would be a good way to save money if you're not
doing 3d graphics anyways. If you can demo one, load up a web page and
scroll it up and down and see what you think.

To answer the other question, yes go for the Pentium-M for cool
operation and long battery life. I can't really refute the subjective
temp reading Bob did, but I suggest you do a web search to look for
benchmarks on battery life if you really care.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 23, 2004 3:16:18 AM

Bob wrote:

> After using a P-233 that gets hot I've been looking at new laptops
> with the Pentium M because i thought that they ran cooler. I went to
> Best Buy and physically touched all the laptops to see which were the
> coolest. The Pentium M was actually hot while the P-4 was cooler (In
> general). I realize that many/most were on for many hours but why was
> the P-M hotter than the P-4?

Who said the P-M is cooler than a P4? The P-M 1.7GHz in my IBM T41p easily
reached over 85°C while the 2.2Ghz P4-M in my IBM A31 stays way cooler...

The P-M can get very hot. But how hot depends on the CPU load and the
efficiency of the cooling design (fan, heat sink, case, etc). It also
depends on the power management settings (i.e. if the CPU is running on full
speed or automatic setting).

Usually the P-M is much cooler than a P4 on average tasks, and the P-M
consumes less power which also means dissipating less heat. If You put both
CPUs under full load they get around equally hot...

Benjamin
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 23, 2004 5:04:43 AM

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

> Usually the P-M is much cooler than a P4 on average tasks, and the P-M
> consumes less power which also means dissipating less heat. If You
> put both CPUs under full load they get around equally hot...
>
> Benjamin

I know that my IBM T-40 with pentium-m is a quiet and cool machine... when I
really work it I get a warm flow of air out of the fan exhaust... but the
keyboard is never warm.... Unlike the previous couple itterations of
laptop...

If you are just checking the chip temp, you are not really talking any
sense.. because the design of the cooling system will allow the CPU to reach
a certain safe maximum temperature... in order to keep the cooling system as
small as possible.. but the system will (in my experience) be dissipating
much less heat with the Pentium-m than a P4.

Al...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 23, 2004 9:37:44 PM

Alan Adrian wrote:

>> Usually the P-M is much cooler than a P4 on average tasks, and the
>> P-M consumes less power which also means dissipating less heat. If
>> You put both CPUs under full load they get around equally hot...
>>
>> Benjamin
>
> I know that my IBM T-40 with pentium-m is a quiet and cool machine...
> when I really work it I get a warm flow of air out of the fan
> exhaust... but the keyboard is never warm.... Unlike the previous
> couple itterations of laptop...
>
> If you are just checking the chip temp, you are not really talking any
> sense.. because the design of the cooling system will allow the CPU
> to reach a certain safe maximum temperature... in order to keep the
> cooling system as small as possible.. but the system will (in my
> experience) be dissipating much less heat with the Pentium-m than a
> P4.

I measured CPU core temperature and the exhaust air temperature. And my T41p
got _really_ hot, You couldn't touch the bottom when both CPU and GPU were
under full load...

Maybe You don't use applications that put the CPU under real stress. For
normal work, the P-M is indeed very cool while the P4 gets warmer. But if
You put both under real load (means: real 100% load) the P-M gets equally
hot than the P4...

Benjamin
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 23, 2004 9:40:25 PM

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

>> If you are just checking the chip temp, you are not really talking
>> any sense.. because the design of the cooling system will allow the
>> CPU to reach a certain safe maximum temperature...

Well, not in a current IBM Thinkpad. Due to the fact that IBM included a
totally stupid fan control the CPU fan also runs if the CPU is cold.

Well, at least they got rid of the terrible 5sec whining with their latest
embedded controller update...

Benjamin
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 24, 2004 3:04:15 AM

Benjamin Gawert wrote:
> Benjamin Gawert wrote:
>
>>> If you are just checking the chip temp, you are not really talking
>>> any sense.. because the design of the cooling system will allow the
>>> CPU to reach a certain safe maximum temperature...
>
> Well, not in a current IBM Thinkpad. Due to the fact that IBM
> included a totally stupid fan control the CPU fan also runs if the
> CPU is cold.
>
> Well, at least they got rid of the terrible 5sec whining with their
> latest embedded controller update...

Really?...the 5 second buzz is gone? I'll have to get that update... Could
you tell me exactly which one it is? Embedded controler is all I need to
know?

I'll admit that I've never put some kind of 100% CPU test program on this
thing.. I use it for some busyish things, but nothing like rendering a full
length DVD movie, or playing games... that's what my game computer is for...
But I can watch DVD movies on it, photoshop, internet radio, web stuff of
course.. and I never get it too hot.

Al..
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 31, 2004 5:30:20 PM

Alan Adrian wrote:

> Really?...the 5 second buzz is gone?

Yes, now the fan is raising the speed every 30s instead of every 5s ;-)

> I'll have to get that update...
> Could you tell me exactly which one it is? Embedded controler is all
> I need to know?

Go to the IBM Download site, and look for "Embedded Controller Update" in
the BIOS Download area.

> I'll admit that I've never put some kind of 100% CPU test program on
> this thing.. I use it for some busyish things, but nothing like
> rendering a full length DVD movie, or playing games... that's what my
> game computer is for... But I can watch DVD movies on it, photoshop,
> internet radio, web stuff of course.. and I never get it too hot.

With these tasks I also never had a problem. Only when CPU and GPU are fully
utilized the cooling isn't efficient enough to provide proper cooling to the
Thinkpad. Interestingly, when removing the DVDROM drive the temperature got
almost 10 degree C lower...

Now I'm thinking about buying a R51p...

Benjamin
!