Sign in with
Your question

What is up with Alienware and their prices?

Last response: in Systems
June 12, 2010 6:44:49 PM

Anyone have any insight into this? If I could afford it I would order an alienware PC and find out for myself. Their rigs cost literally more than 2x as much as a pre-assembled bought from another gaming PC website.

My current theory is that all of the cables are made of gold. If you don't know, gold is much more conductive than copper, aluminum, or silver so in theory the data transfer rate between all components should be faster.

More about : alienware prices

June 12, 2010 7:23:23 PM

As long as they're profitable and keep on selling enough systems, there's nothing wrong. In addition to the parts, they also provide warranty and support. Can you provide links to identical pre-assembled systems where Alienware are twice as expensive?
June 12, 2010 7:47:48 PM

I'd have to agree...they seem to sell it at that price because they can. I think if you were to take one apart, you would find the components to only make up a fraction of that cost, and as stated, support and warranty do take up some of the additional cost.

This is why most of us don't buy pre-assembled systems, particularly high-end gaming systems. We like to build, and hate to double/triple our costs for the same performance.
Related resources
June 12, 2010 9:13:34 PM

It amuses me that Alienware charges like 200 bucks to OC to CPU. Moderately I might add.
June 12, 2010 9:40:32 PM

I asked the nice salesperson in India why the prices are so much more and apparently the extra 5 grand or so goes towards getting automatic updates and "award winning" service.
June 12, 2010 10:09:14 PM

Lol automatic updates? You mean what Windows does anyway?
June 12, 2010 10:30:56 PM

any idiot who spends that kind of money on a system worth 1/2 the cost ought to be shot.
June 13, 2010 3:26:22 AM

there will always be people who just want to fork out alot of money for a good system and not have to worry with learning how to configure and maintain by themselves, hence there will always be a market for alienware, personally I like to build my own
!