Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What is up with my HDD?

Last response: in Storage
August 4, 2012 4:11:23 PM

I just started on Tom's Hardware. To start out, i bought a 320gb external hard drive and i pop out the case and then plugged it into the computer via sata cable. There are several problems:
Yesterday, the drive was slow so I defragment it using the windows defragment. (it was 24%).
Today, the drive would get detected but when i try to format it, and after a while into the process , the computer just doesn't detect it. (not even in device manager)
It would also cause my computer to boot up slower. This wouldn't be the BIOS's fault because i had set the bios to my main hard drive first.
Question: Why would a drive get detected and then suddenly doesnt?
How can i make my computer boot up faster with the drive connected?

More about : hdd

a c 101 G Storage
August 4, 2012 4:20:31 PM

It sounds like you have a defective HDD and your system is having trouble maintaining good communications (via the SATA interface) with it.

Try swapping your SATA cable (and verifying both ends are properly connected) first.

You can also try the HDD in another system to see if it does the same there.

Good luck!
m
l
August 4, 2012 4:58:38 PM

COLGeek said:
It sounds like you have a defective HDD and your system is having trouble maintaining good communications (via the SATA interface) with it.

Try swapping your SATA cable (and verifying both ends are properly connected) first.

You can also try the HDD in another system to see if it does the same there.

Good luck!

It doesn't seem like it's the case. I swap the main hard drive and the 320gb hard drive sata cables. Hard drive is booting up fine and hard drive is still not getting detect. :/ 
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 101 G Storage
August 4, 2012 7:05:45 PM

Could be a bad HDD. What make and model of HDD is causing the problem? Most vendors (Seagate, WD, etc) have diagnostic applications (free) on their websites for their products. You can download the tool and check out the health of the drive.
August 4, 2012 8:35:52 PM

COLGeek said:
Could be a bad HDD. What make and model of HDD is causing the problem? Most vendors (Seagate, WD, etc) have diagnostic applications (free) on their websites for their products. You can download the tool and check out the health of the drive.

I guess it was a waste of money. sometimes it work sometimes it didnt. Thanks!
m
l
August 4, 2012 8:36:01 PM

Best answer selected by kylexps.
m
l
!