A couple more user levels....

Last response: in Video Games
March 9, 2005 5:29:56 PM

that I've completed recently:

Legacy of the Gods

Sanctuary of Fire, Ice and Water

Both of these bunch of levels were absolutely *cracking* :-) Mucho thanks
to their respective authors, and if you guys haven't done so, and are
feeling the need for a Lara fix, I *really* recommend both of these! Both
of 'em play as good, if not better than the official levels. :-)

Anyhoo...

Back to the regularly scheduled *really* quiet newsgroup ;-)

--
Duncan
--

More about : couple user levels

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 5:29:57 PM

Hummm I never even installed the Level Editor even though I have it.
Maybe it is time to try some of these levels. Is there a good place to
find an overview on how to play user levels. It always seems to involve
so much moving, renaming, scripts, linking, loading, etc of many
different types of files files.
OK I KNOW! Nothing good in life is ever easy! This must also be true for
TR levels.
Mike

Thunderchief wrote:
> that I've completed recently:
>
> Legacy of the Gods
>
> Sanctuary of Fire, Ice and Water
>
> Both of these bunch of levels were absolutely *cracking* :-) Mucho thanks
> to their respective authors, and if you guys haven't done so, and are
> feeling the need for a Lara fix, I *really* recommend both of these! Both
> of 'em play as good, if not better than the official levels. :-)
>
> Anyhoo...
>
> Back to the regularly scheduled *really* quiet newsgroup ;-)
>

> --
> Duncan
> --
> www.thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk
> www.thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk/rogues
> www.thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk/maps
> www.thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk/chat

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 9:24:45 PM

> that I've completed recently:
>
> Legacy of the Gods
>
> Sanctuary of Fire, Ice and Water
>
> Both of these bunch of levels were absolutely *cracking* :-) Mucho thanks
> to their respective authors, and if you guys haven't done so, and are
> feeling the need for a Lara fix, I *really* recommend both of these!
> Both of 'em play as good, if not better than the official levels. :-)

Thank you! I'll add those to my "to play" list! :)

> Anyhoo...
>
> Back to the regularly scheduled *really* quiet newsgroup ;-)
> --
> Duncan

<whispering> okay, I'll be in the other room playing quietly then... ;)

--
Ms T
ever changing calm

There I was, minding my own business, when Mike Ray said...

> Hummm I never even installed the Level Editor even though I have it.
> Maybe it is time to try some of these levels. Is there a good place to
> find an overview on how to play user levels. It always seems to
> involve so much moving, renaming, scripts, linking, loading, etc of
> many different types of files files.
> OK I KNOW! Nothing good in life is ever easy! This must also be true
> for TR levels.
> Mike

Well...I've still not tried the level controller program thingy, but most of
'em come with a 'read me' that tells you what to do, and after you've done a
couple, it gets real easy. The biggest bind is....for the best levels,
they're gonna be chunky downloads. The ones mentioned above though, are
totally worth it :-)

Duncan
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 1:43:31 AM

"Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> schreef in bericht
> that I've completed recently:
>
> Legacy of the Gods
>
> Sanctuary of Fire, Ice and Water
>
> Both of these bunch of levels were absolutely *cracking* :-) Mucho thanks
> to their respective authors, and if you guys haven't done so, and are
> feeling the need for a Lara fix, I *really* recommend both of these!
Both
> of 'em play as good, if not better than the official levels. :-)
>
> Anyhoo...
>
> Back to the regularly scheduled *really* quiet newsgroup ;-)

Is this a coincidence or what?
This weekend I suddenly thought it would be nice to play some custom levels
for a change (haven't been gaming for over 6 months).
The sanctuary of Fire, Ice and Water is still on my list. I downloaded it
over 1,5 years ago, after playing The Last Crusade by the same author (Piega
aka René Brooymans a fellow countryman), but never got to play it (yet).
With The Last Crusade Piega completely got me hooked. This level was superb
and The Sanctuary is supposed to be even better. WOW.
However, this weekend I'll be leaving for Valencia for a week. Isn't that a
pitty ;-). So, I guess I will start playing around Easter.

Thanks for the reminder though,
Maurice
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 1:50:48 AM

Thunderchief wrote:
> that I've completed recently:
>
> Legacy of the Gods
>
> Sanctuary of Fire, Ice and Water
>
> Both of these bunch of levels were absolutely *cracking* :-)

I agree! They are absolutely superb levels.

JW
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:36:43 AM

If I remember correctly, the author is Luis Martins and he has some other
great levels. I know I played at least one set of bonus levels for LOG and
I believe I read he just came out with a 2nd set of bonus levels. I know
his first bonus levels is # 2 on the Top 50 chart at: http://www.trle.net/

Another great author is George Macciver. In fact there are hundreds of
really great custom levels available for the Level Editor - many better (and
harder) than the commercial games. Many of these custom levels are
multi-level games and a few are even bigger than some of the commercial TR
games.

There are walkthrus and discussion groups for specific levels available too.
You can do a search at: http://www.tr-resurrection.de/mprager/search.cgi

Personally I haven't missed there not being a TR-7 yet and unless it's a
whole lot better than 6 was, I'd rather play these custom levels.

"Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> that I've completed recently:
>
> Legacy of the Gods
>
> Sanctuary of Fire, Ice and Water
>
> Both of these bunch of levels were absolutely *cracking* :-) Mucho thanks
> to their respective authors, and if you guys haven't done so, and are
> feeling the need for a Lara fix, I *really* recommend both of these!
> Both
> of 'em play as good, if not better than the official levels. :-)
>
> Anyhoo...
>
> Back to the regularly scheduled *really* quiet newsgroup ;-)
>

> --
> Duncan
> --
> www.thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk
> www.thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk/rogues
> www.thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk/maps
> www.thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk/chat

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:04:27 AM

sanctuary is quite nice...there are some tricky bits though(I found the
ropes a pain)
ran across a set called 'lara at the movies' that has some nice levels and
innovative art(can't give a complete review, have not finished it yet),
premise is lara goes to the theator to relax and finds herself in the
movies, the walks I found are in german...sorta(googles translations leave a
bit to be desired).
rex
"Ms T" <anthropoid@none.not> wrote in message
>> that I've completed recently:
>>
>> Legacy of the Gods
>>
>> Sanctuary of Fire, Ice and Water
>>
>> Both of these bunch of levels were absolutely *cracking* :-) Mucho
>> thanks
>> to their respective authors, and if you guys haven't done so, and are
>> feeling the need for a Lara fix, I *really* recommend both of these!
>> Both of 'em play as good, if not better than the official levels. :-)
>
> Thank you! I'll add those to my "to play" list! :)
>
>> Anyhoo...
>>
>> Back to the regularly scheduled *really* quiet newsgroup ;-)
>> --
>> Duncan
>
> <whispering> okay, I'll be in the other room playing quietly then... ;)
>
> --
> Ms T
> ever changing calm

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 12:11:37 PM

There I was, minding my own business, when Maurice Schellekens said...

> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> schreef in bericht
>> that I've completed recently:
>>
>> Legacy of the Gods
>>
>> Sanctuary of Fire, Ice and Water
>>
>> Both of these bunch of levels were absolutely *cracking* :-) Mucho
>> thanks to their respective authors, and if you guys haven't done so,
>> and are feeling the need for a Lara fix, I *really* recommend both
>> of these!
> Both
>> of 'em play as good, if not better than the official levels. :-)
>>
>> Anyhoo...
>>
>> Back to the regularly scheduled *really* quiet newsgroup ;-)
>>

> Is this a coincidence or what?
> This weekend I suddenly thought it would be nice to play some custom
> levels for a change (haven't been gaming for over 6 months).
> The sanctuary of Fire, Ice and Water is still on my list. I
> downloaded it over 1,5 years ago, after playing The Last Crusade by
> the same author (Piega aka René Brooymans a fellow countryman), but
> never got to play it (yet). With The Last Crusade Piega completely
> got me hooked. This level was superb and The Sanctuary is supposed to
> be even better. WOW.

Mmmm...Last Crusade sounds familiar. I wonder if thats one I played?
Sanctuary is *excellent* :-)

> However, this weekend I'll be leaving for Valencia for a week. Isn't
> that a pitty ;-). So, I guess I will start playing around Easter.
>
> Thanks for the reminder though,
> Maurice

:-)
Duncan
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 12:12:23 PM

There I was, minding my own business, when Ms T said...

>> that I've completed recently:
>>
>> Legacy of the Gods
>>
>> Sanctuary of Fire, Ice and Water
>>
>> Both of these bunch of levels were absolutely *cracking* :-) Mucho
>> thanks to their respective authors, and if you guys haven't done so,
>> and are feeling the need for a Lara fix, I *really* recommend both
>> of these!
>> Both of 'em play as good, if not better than the official levels. :-)
>
> Thank you! I'll add those to my "to play" list! :)

Oh yeah! You should!! I really can't recommend them enough :-)

>> Anyhoo...
>>
>> Back to the regularly scheduled *really* quiet newsgroup ;-)
>> --
>> Duncan
>
> <whispering> okay, I'll be in the other room playing quietly then...
> ;)

Hehehehehe!! Keep it down willya? ;-)

Duncan
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 12:15:47 PM

There I was, minding my own business, when Rex Reynolds said...

> sanctuary is quite nice...there are some tricky bits though(I found
> the ropes a pain)
> ran across a set called 'lara at the movies' that has some nice
> levels and innovative art(can't give a complete review, have not
> finished it yet), premise is lara goes to the theator to relax and
> finds herself in the movies, the walks I found are in
> german...sorta(googles translations leave a bit to be desired).

I've wondered about those levels. They are all *really* big downlaods
(150meg, thereabouts) is it ONE 'movie' per download, or if you get the
latest, do you get the other 'movies' too?

Incidentally....if you are looking for English walkthroughs for user
levels....

http://www.tr-resurrection.de/mprager/discussion.cgi?fo...

I'll try that again with wrappers just in case it goes over the limit:

http://www.tr-resurrection.de/mprager/discussion.cgi?fo...

Should help out!

> rex

Duncan
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 2:52:19 PM

> There I was, minding my own business, when Rex Reynolds said...
>
>> sanctuary is quite nice...there are some tricky bits though(I found
>> the ropes a pain)
>> ran across a set called 'lara at the movies' that has some nice
>> levels and innovative art(can't give a complete review, have not
>> finished it yet), premise is lara goes to the theator to relax and
>> finds herself in the movies, the walks I found are in
>> german...sorta(googles translations leave a bit to be desired).
>
> I've wondered about those levels. They are all *really* big downlaods
> (150meg, thereabouts) is it ONE 'movie' per download, or if you get
> the latest, do you get the other 'movies' too?
>
> Incidentally....if you are looking for English walkthroughs for user
> levels....
>
> http://www.tr-resurrection.de/mprager/discussion.cgi?fo...
>
> I'll try that again with wrappers just in case it goes over the limit:
>
> http://www.tr-resurrection.de/mprager/discussion.cgi?fo...
>
> Should help out!
>
>> rex
>
> Duncan

I'm downloading them now Duncan, they're arranged in bite sized parts
for easier dialup management :)  The largest is 38 megs. There are six
cinemas shown. I see there is a readme.htm in one of these too.

http://www.mprager.de/TRLEGold/screens/Screenshots.htm

Though the page title says screenshots, and there is a cycling
screenshot (Java) top center, the bottom half of the page is 12 download
links to these files for Lara At The Movies :)  HTH man!

McG.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 4:12:33 PM

There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...

> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> There I was, minding my own business, when Rex Reynolds said...
>>
>>> sanctuary is quite nice...there are some tricky bits though(I found
>>> the ropes a pain)
>>> ran across a set called 'lara at the movies' that has some nice
>>> levels and innovative art(can't give a complete review, have not
>>> finished it yet), premise is lara goes to the theator to relax and
>>> finds herself in the movies, the walks I found are in
>>> german...sorta(googles translations leave a bit to be desired).
>>
>> I've wondered about those levels. They are all *really* big downlaods
>> (150meg, thereabouts) is it ONE 'movie' per download, or if you get
>> the latest, do you get the other 'movies' too?
>>
>> Incidentally....if you are looking for English walkthroughs for user
>> levels....

http://www.tr-resurrection.de/mprager/discussion.cgi?fo...

>> I'll try that again with wrappers just in case it goes over the
>> limit:

http://www.tr-resurrection.de/mprager/discussion.cgi?fo...

>> Should help out!
>>
>>> rex
>>
>> Duncan
>
> I'm downloading them now Duncan, they're arranged in bite sized parts
> for easier dialup management :)  The largest is 38 megs. There are
> six cinemas shown. I see there is a readme.htm in one of these too.
>
> http://www.mprager.de/TRLEGold/screens/Screenshots.htm
>
> Though the page title says screenshots, and there is a cycling
> screenshot (Java) top center, the bottom half of the page is 12
> download links to these files for Lara At The Movies :)  HTH man!

Ah!! That looks the business!! Cheers! :-)

> McG.

Duncan
May wait til he's got access to broadband for the DLs, mind!
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 4:14:52 PM

There I was, minding my own business, when Walt Mather said...

> If I remember correctly, the author is Luis Martins and he has some
> other great levels. I know I played at least one set of bonus levels
> for LOG and I believe I read he just came out with a 2nd set of bonus
> levels. I know his first bonus levels is # 2 on the Top 50 chart at:
> http://www.trle.net/
>
> Another great author is George Macciver. In fact there are hundreds
> of really great custom levels available for the Level Editor - many
> better (and harder) than the commercial games. Many of these custom
> levels are multi-level games and a few are even bigger than some of
> the commercial TR games.
>
> There are walkthrus and discussion groups for specific levels
> available too. You can do a search at:
> http://www.tr-resurrection.de/mprager/search.cgi
>
> Personally I haven't missed there not being a TR-7 yet and unless
> it's a whole lot better than 6 was, I'd rather play these custom
> levels.

I've been having a great time playing 'em :-)
Duncan
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 9:02:59 PM

> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> There I was, minding my own business, when Rex Reynolds said...
>>
>>> sanctuary is quite nice...there are some tricky bits though(I found
>>> the ropes a pain)
>>> ran across a set called 'lara at the movies' that has some nice
>>> levels and innovative art(can't give a complete review, have not
>>> finished it yet), premise is lara goes to the theator to relax and
>>> finds herself in the movies, the walks I found are in
>>> german...sorta(googles translations leave a bit to be desired).
>>
>> I've wondered about those levels. They are all *really* big downlaods
>> (150meg, thereabouts) is it ONE 'movie' per download, or if you get
>> the latest, do you get the other 'movies' too?
>>
>> Incidentally....if you are looking for English walkthroughs for user
>> levels....
>>
>> http://www.tr-resurrection.de/mprager/discussion.cgi?fo...
>>
>> I'll try that again with wrappers just in case it goes over the limit:
>>
>> http://www.tr-resurrection.de/mprager/discussion.cgi?fo...
>>
>> Should help out!
>>
>>> rex
>>
>> Duncan
>
> I'm downloading them now Duncan, they're arranged in bite sized parts for
> easier dialup management :)  The largest is 38 megs. There are six
> cinemas shown. I see there is a readme.htm in one of these too.
>
> http://www.mprager.de/TRLEGold/screens/Screenshots.htm
>
> Though the page title says screenshots, and there is a cycling screenshot
> (Java) top center, the bottom half of the page is 12 download links to
> these files for Lara At The Movies :)  HTH man!
>
> McG.

what he said. heheh, get ready to do 'banananana' jumps
rex
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 10:46:45 PM

"Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> that I've completed recently:
>
> Legacy of the Gods
>
> Sanctuary of Fire, Ice and Water
>
> Both of these bunch of levels were absolutely *cracking* :-) Mucho thanks
> to their respective authors, and if you guys haven't done so, and are
> feeling the need for a Lara fix, I *really* recommend both of these!
Both
> of 'em play as good, if not better than the official levels. :-)

<snip>

PW, Tom Braider and I played *Sanctuary* more or less in synch but I got
*very* stuck over one jump where there was a rocky outcrop-thinking I was
having to move her mid-air- PW sorted me out there :)

Around that time- Jeff Reid set some very nice challenges as did PW for Izzy
and I- and then of course there are the Deadly Sands challenges :)

These might be added to your list of *things to do* if you haven't done them
already :)

Dungeonbunny
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 1:10:07 AM

There I was, minding my own business, when Dungeonbunny said...

> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> that I've completed recently:
>>
>> Legacy of the Gods
>>
>> Sanctuary of Fire, Ice and Water
>>
>> Both of these bunch of levels were absolutely *cracking* :-) Mucho
>> thanks to their respective authors, and if you guys haven't done so,
>> and are feeling the need for a Lara fix, I *really* recommend both
>> of these!
> Both
>> of 'em play as good, if not better than the official levels. :-)
>>
> <snip>
>
> PW, Tom Braider and I played *Sanctuary* more or less in synch but I
> got *very* stuck over one jump where there was a rocky
> outcrop-thinking I was having to move her mid-air- PW sorted me out
> there :)
>
> Around that time- Jeff Reid set some very nice challenges as did PW
> for Izzy and I- and then of course there are the Deadly Sands
> challenges :)
>
> These might be added to your list of *things to do* if you haven't
> done them already :)
>
> Dungeonbunny

You must explain more!! :-)

Duncan
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:26:45 AM

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Rex Reynolds was heard, at
about 03/10/2005 03:04 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> sanctuary is quite nice...there are some tricky bits though(I found the
> ropes a pain)
> ran across a set called 'lara at the movies' that has some nice levels and
> innovative art(can't give a complete review, have not finished it yet),
> premise is lara goes to the theator to relax and finds herself in the
> movies, the walks I found are in german...sorta(googles translations leave a
> bit to be desired).
> rex
<snip>

Thanks, Rex!

I've downloaded it in entirety, but have only gotten to Cinema 1 so far

Quite a production work there! The number of people involved is
impressive. Is this some regularly scheduled production for all the
highest rated levels he (mprager) gets submitted?

I was particularly interested in how they got the videos setup between
levels. I've been away from the level development for a while, so that
may be old news. But its still impressive.

Kinda wished they'd used it for something other than credits/title, but
its a start.

---
PW
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:30:56 AM

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
about 03/10/2005 06:52 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

<snip>
>>Incidentally....if you are looking for English walkthroughs for user
>>levels....
>>
>>http://www.tr-resurrection.de/mprager/discussion.cgi?fo...
>>
>>I'll try that again with wrappers just in case it goes over the limit:
>>
>>http://www.tr-resurrection.de/mprager/discussion.cgi?fo...
>>
>>Should help out!
>>

>>>rex
>>
>>Duncan
>

> I'm downloading them now Duncan, they're arranged in bite sized parts
> for easier dialup management :)  The largest is 38 megs. There are six
> cinemas shown. I see there is a readme.htm in one of these too.
>
> http://www.mprager.de/TRLEGold/screens/Screenshots.htm
>
> Though the page title says screenshots, and there is a cycling
> screenshot (Java) top center, the bottom half of the page is 12 download
> links to these files for Lara At The Movies :)  HTH man!
>
> McG.

Thanks for those links, both of you!

Although I hope not to have to use your links, Duncan. I'm rather
adamant about doing it all myself. Its just not a TR game without a
certain level of frustration! ;)  (... and feeling of accomplishment)

---
PW
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 11:33:57 AM

There I was, minding my own business, when Pistol Whipped said...

> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
> about 03/10/2005 06:52 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
> <snip>
>>> Incidentally....if you are looking for English walkthroughs for user
>>> levels....

http://www.tr-resurrection.de/mprager/discussion.cgi?fo...

>>> I'll try that again with wrappers just in case it goes over the
>>> limit:

http://www.tr-resurrection.de/mprager/discussion.cgi?fo...

>>> Should help out!

>>> Duncan
>>

>> I'm downloading them now Duncan, they're arranged in bite sized parts
>> for easier dialup management :)  The largest is 38 megs. There are
>> six cinemas shown. I see there is a readme.htm in one of these too.
>>
>> http://www.mprager.de/TRLEGold/screens/Screenshots.htm
>>
>> Though the page title says screenshots, and there is a cycling
>> screenshot (Java) top center, the bottom half of the page is 12
>> download links to these files for Lara At The Movies :)  HTH man!
>>
>> McG.
>>

> Thanks for those links, both of you!
>
> Although I hope not to have to use your links, Duncan. I'm rather
> adamant about doing it all myself. Its just not a TR game without a
> certain level of frustration! ;)  (... and feeling of accomplishment)

Ohyeah! I agree totally!

The real stupid thing, on my point, is that...when I have resorted to using
the walkthroughs, its invariably been an underwater lever that I would've
found if I'd looked for a *bit* longer (Mmmm....just what are those weeds
doing growing *there*....) or a drop-and-grab switch I missed that I know I
would have found if I'd kept looking for just another moment or two...

D'oh!!

> ---
> PW

Duncan
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:24:20 PM

> There I was, minding my own business, when Pistol Whipped said...
>
>> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
>> about 03/10/2005 06:52 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>>> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>> <snip>
>>>>

> http://www.tr-resurrection.de/mprager/discussion.cgi?fo...

> http://www.tr-resurrection.de/mprager/discussion.cgi?fo...

>>> I'm downloading them now Duncan, they're arranged in bite sized parts
>>> for easier dialup management :)  The largest is 38 megs. There are
>>> six cinemas shown. I see there is a readme.htm in one of these too.
>>>
>>> http://www.mprager.de/TRLEGold/screens/Screenshots.htm
>>>
>>> Though the page title says screenshots, and there is a cycling
>>> screenshot (Java) top center, the bottom half of the page is 12
>>> download links to these files for Lara At The Movies :)  HTH man!
>>>
>>> McG.
>>>

>> Thanks for those links, both of you!
>>
>> Although I hope not to have to use your links, Duncan. I'm rather
>> adamant about doing it all myself. Its just not a TR game without a
>> certain level of frustration! ;)  (... and feeling of accomplishment)
>
> Ohyeah! I agree totally!
>
> The real stupid thing, on my point, is that...when I have resorted to
> using
> the walkthroughs, its invariably been an underwater lever that I would've
> found if I'd looked for a *bit* longer (Mmmm....just what are those weeds
> doing growing *there*....) or a drop-and-grab switch I missed that I know
> would have found if I'd kept looking for just another moment or two...
>
> D'oh!!
>

>> ---
>> PW
>
> Duncan

I kinda like the 'mangled translated' walkies, you have to figure out what
was suposed to be said(german/english, english/german dictionary helps) so,
you still get that feeling of accomplishing something :-) and with those
levels...
rex
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:42:31 PM

let me know if you're having trouble with the 'blara' witch level...took me
a while to get that one figured. although you can start with any cinema, I
think its fair to say that one should do them in order.
rex
"Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Rex Reynolds was heard, at
> about 03/10/2005 03:04 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>> sanctuary is quite nice...there are some tricky bits though(I found the
>> ropes a pain)
>> ran across a set called 'lara at the movies' that has some nice levels
>> and innovative art(can't give a complete review, have not finished it
>> yet), premise is lara goes to the theator to relax and finds herself in
>> the movies, the walks I found are in german...sorta(googles translations
>> leave a bit to be desired).
>> rex
> <snip>
>
> Thanks, Rex!
>
> I've downloaded it in entirety, but have only gotten to Cinema 1 so far
>
> Quite a production work there! The number of people involved is
> impressive. Is this some regularly scheduled production for all the
> highest rated levels he (mprager) gets submitted?
>
> I was particularly interested in how they got the videos setup between
> levels. I've been away from the level development for a while, so that
> may be old news. But its still impressive.
>
> Kinda wished they'd used it for something other than credits/title, but
> its a start.
>
> ---
> PW
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 2:20:28 PM

> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
> about 03/10/2005 06:52 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
> <snip>
>>> Incidentally....if you are looking for English walkthroughs for user
>>> levels....
>>>
>>> http://www.tr-resurrection.de/mprager/discussion.cgi?fo...
>>>
>>> I'll try that again with wrappers just in case it goes over the
>>> limit:
>>> http://www.tr-resurrection.de/mprager/discussion.cgi?fo...
>>>
>>> Should help out!

>>> Duncan
>>

>> I'm downloading them now Duncan, they're arranged in bite sized parts
>> for easier dialup management :)  The largest is 38 megs. There are
>> six cinemas shown. I see there is a readme.htm in one of these too.
>>
>> http://www.mprager.de/TRLEGold/screens/Screenshots.htm
>>
>> Though the page title says screenshots, and there is a cycling
>> screenshot (Java) top center, the bottom half of the page is 12
>> download links to these files for Lara At The Movies :)  HTH man!
>>
>> McG.
>>

> Thanks for those links, both of you!
>
> Although I hope not to have to use your links, Duncan. I'm rather
> adamant about doing it all myself. Its just not a TR game without a
> certain level of frustration! ;)  (... and feeling of accomplishment)
>
> ---
> PW

*IF* you get it to work! :)  I have yet to find any user made level to
top Sanctuary. What a ride! But this one does look promising.
McG.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 10:30:22 AM

"Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
<snip>

- Jeff Reid set some very nice challenges as did PW
> > for Izzy and I- and then of course there are the Deadly Sands
> > challenges :)
> >
> > These might be added to your list of *things to do* if you haven't
> > done them already :)
> >
> > Dungeonbunny
>
> You must explain more!! :-)
>
> Duncan

do you have TR1-UB? -can't do them without it :)  I expect PW who is always
a good archive source still has his challenge and pics for posting
somewhere-and if Jeff doesn't come through with his excellent ones I have a
copy saved -the deadly sands is more an experience than a challenge which
McG as well as Jeff was an expert on-and probably lots of people I haven't
mentioned, so ping away when ready I guess? if you search google for the
subjects on this ng - you would spoil it with the answers I think? :)

DB
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:11:27 PM

There I was, minding my own business, when Dungeonbunny said...

> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> <snip>
>

> - Jeff Reid set some very nice challenges as did PW
>>> for Izzy and I- and then of course there are the Deadly Sands
>>> challenges :)
>>>
>>> These might be added to your list of *things to do* if you haven't
>>> done them already :)
>>>
>>> Dungeonbunny
>>
>> You must explain more!! :-)
>>
>> Duncan
>
> do you have TR1-UB? -can't do them without it :)  I expect PW who is
> always a good archive source still has his challenge and pics for
> posting somewhere-and if Jeff doesn't come through with his excellent
> ones I have a copy saved -the deadly sands is more an experience than
> a challenge which McG as well as Jeff was an expert on-and probably
> lots of people I haven't mentioned, so ping away when ready I guess?
> if you search google for the subjects on this ng - you would spoil it
> with the answers I think? :)

Okeydokey. I'll give that a try!

> DB

Duncan
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:20:28 PM

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Rex Reynolds was heard, at
about 03/12/2005 04:42 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> let me know if you're having trouble with the 'blara' witch level...took me
> a while to get that one figured. although you can start with any cinema, I
> think its fair to say that one should do them in order.
> rex

A lot of wandering back and forth so far. The hole in the wall with
nothing in it had me going for a while ... Doh. The mirror room is
good, you *have to* pay attention! Not sure I'm getting all the
secrets, but I rarely do the first time through.

Now I'm down in the caves ... this may take a while ... I've killed
Lara at least a dozen times ... stinking pink water!

A good level though. *Lots* of atmosphere! It's so spooky its got me
jumping at every turn ... :)

---
PW
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:25:02 PM

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Dungeonbunny was heard, at
about 03/14/2005 02:30 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
<snip>
>>You must explain more!! :-)
>>
>>Duncan
>

> do you have TR1-UB? -can't do them without it :)  I expect PW who is always
> a good archive source still has his challenge and pics for posting
> somewhere-and if Jeff doesn't come through with his excellent ones I have a
> copy saved -the deadly sands is more an experience than a challenge which
> McG as well as Jeff was an expert on-and probably lots of people I haven't
> mentioned, so ping away when ready I guess? if you search google for the
> subjects on this ng - you would spoil it with the answers I think? :)
>
> DB

Not sure ... just moved over to Linux and cleaned up a bunch of stuff.
Pretty sure I archived it off to DVD, but I was mostly concerned with
backing up the TRLE stuff (I hope to have time to get back to), among
other things (in case of disaster ... which didn't happen).

I'll look if you're interested, Duncan.

---
PW
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 1:10:48 PM

There I was, minding my own business, when Pistol Whipped said...

> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Dungeonbunny was heard, at
> about 03/14/2005 02:30 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> <snip>
>>> You must explain more!! :-)
>>>
>>> Duncan
>>

>> do you have TR1-UB? -can't do them without it :)  I expect PW who is
>> always a good archive source still has his challenge and pics for
>> posting somewhere-and if Jeff doesn't come through with his
>> excellent ones I have a copy saved -the deadly sands is more an
>> experience than a challenge which McG as well as Jeff was an expert
>> on-and probably lots of people I haven't mentioned, so ping away
>> when ready I guess? if you search google for the subjects on this ng
>> - you would spoil it with the answers I think? :)
>>
>> DB
>>

> Not sure ... just moved over to Linux and cleaned up a bunch of stuff.
> Pretty sure I archived it off to DVD, but I was mostly concerned with
> backing up the TRLE stuff (I hope to have time to get back to), among
> other things (in case of disaster ... which didn't happen).
>
> I'll look if you're interested, Duncan.

After re-reading DB's post (must wake up before replying!!) - yeah! that'd
be great, but only if its no trouble! :-)

> ---
> PW

Duncan
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 1:11:38 PM

Heh.

Must be more awake before responding. Yeah. Googling wouldn't be too good if
it gives me the answers!!

Duncan
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 1:26:10 PM

"Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
news:o LcZd.142492$qB6.41358@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Dungeonbunny was heard, at
> about 03/14/2005 02:30 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> <snip>
> >>You must explain more!! :-)
> >>
> >>Duncan
> >

> > do you have TR1-UB? -can't do them without it :)  I expect PW who is
always
> > a good archive source still has his challenge and pics for posting
> > somewhere-and if Jeff doesn't come through with his excellent ones I
have a
> > copy saved -the deadly sands is more an experience than a challenge
which
> > McG as well as Jeff was an expert on-and probably lots of people I
haven't
> > mentioned, so ping away when ready I guess? if you search google for the
> > subjects on this ng - you would spoil it with the answers I think? :)
> >
> > DB
> >

> Not sure ... just moved over to Linux and cleaned up a bunch of stuff.
> Pretty sure I archived it off to DVD, but I was mostly concerned with
> backing up the TRLE stuff (I hope to have time to get back to), among
> other things (in case of disaster ... which didn't happen).
>
> I'll look if you're interested, Duncan.
>
> ---
> PW

I have it saved so will post for the group with your permission? :)

DB
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 2:12:30 PM

> Heh.
>
> Must be more awake before responding. Yeah. Googling wouldn't be too
> good if it gives me the answers!!
>
> Duncan

Duncan, it ended up being "PW's Deadly Sands Challenge" if my sleepy
brain recalls right :)  It concerns the fact that in TR1 in the UB
level, Shadow of the Cat, you can easily go "out of bounds". Out of the
normal path of gameplay. It was thought at the time that players were
supposed to do this, and evidence of it would be items out there,
pickups...secrets. Are there? It was fun and cool, and for such an
old gem of a game, something new. I think we'll reserve answers to
that question though for now :)
McG.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 2:17:15 PM

> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Rex Reynolds was heard, at
> about 03/12/2005 04:42 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>> let me know if you're having trouble with the 'blara' witch
>> level...took me a while to get that one figured. although you can
>> start with any cinema, I think its fair to say that one should do
>> them in order. rex
>
> A lot of wandering back and forth so far. The hole in the wall with
> nothing in it had me going for a while ... Doh. The mirror room is
> good, you *have to* pay attention! Not sure I'm getting all the
> secrets, but I rarely do the first time through.
>
> Now I'm down in the caves ... this may take a while ... I've killed
> Lara at least a dozen times ... stinking pink water!
>
> A good level though. *Lots* of atmosphere! It's so spooky its got me
> jumping at every turn ... :)
>
> ---
> PW

this runs on Linux??? I have Mandrake 10.1 installed on the P3-800
Ti4600 box in the living room. Just got that on there last night. Was
fed UP with ATI's unremovable catalyst bits that kept the new nVidia
drivers from even starting up. :(  Under 98SE. So I got a wild hair
up my ___ and dl'd the Free DL of Mandrake 10.1, burned the ISO's and
stuck disk 1 in the cd burner and rebooted to it :)
I never did get WinE working on older distros... but then I am lousy
when it comes to speaking Linux-ese ;)
Also have Mandrake 9 and Redhat 8 (5 cd's there).
McG.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 2:51:17 PM

There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...

> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Heh.
>>
>> Must be more awake before responding. Yeah. Googling wouldn't be too
>> good if it gives me the answers!!
>>
>> Duncan
>
> Duncan, it ended up being "PW's Deadly Sands Challenge" if my sleepy
> brain recalls right :)  It concerns the fact that in TR1 in the UB
> level, Shadow of the Cat, you can easily go "out of bounds". Out of
> the normal path of gameplay. It was thought at the time that players
> were supposed to do this, and evidence of it would be items out there,
> pickups...secrets. Are there? It was fun and cool, and for such an
> old gem of a game, something new. I think we'll reserve answers to
> that question though for now :)

Oh right!!

I'll see if I've got my copy of UB hanging around! If not, I'll d/l it next
week when I get back to a fast dialup :-)

> McG.

Duncan
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 8:33:40 PM

"Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Rex Reynolds was heard, at
> about 03/12/2005 04:42 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>> let me know if you're having trouble with the 'blara' witch level...took
>> me a while to get that one figured. although you can start with any
>> cinema, I think its fair to say that one should do them in order.
>> rex
>
> A lot of wandering back and forth so far. The hole in the wall with
> nothing in it had me going for a while ... Doh. The mirror room is good,
> you *have to* pay attention! Not sure I'm getting all the secrets, but I
> rarely do the first time through.
>
> Now I'm down in the caves ... this may take a while ... I've killed Lara
> at least a dozen times ... stinking pink water!
>
> A good level though. *Lots* of atmosphere! It's so spooky its got me
> jumping at every turn ... :)
>
> ---
> PW
ah, so do I gather that you found a use for the shovel?
rex
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 8:42:01 AM

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
about 03/14/2005 06:17 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Rex Reynolds was heard, at
>>about 03/12/2005 04:42 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>>
>>>let me know if you're having trouble with the 'blara' witch
>>>level...took me a while to get that one figured. although you can
>>>start with any cinema, I think its fair to say that one should do
>>>them in order. rex
>>
>>A lot of wandering back and forth so far. The hole in the wall with
>>nothing in it had me going for a while ... Doh. The mirror room is
>>good, you *have to* pay attention! Not sure I'm getting all the
>>secrets, but I rarely do the first time through.
>>
>>Now I'm down in the caves ... this may take a while ... I've killed
>>Lara at least a dozen times ... stinking pink water!
>>
>>A good level though. *Lots* of atmosphere! It's so spooky its got me
>>jumping at every turn ... :)
>>
>>---
>>PW
>

> this runs on Linux??? I have Mandrake 10.1 installed on the P3-800
> Ti4600 box in the living room. Just got that on there last night. Was
> fed UP with ATI's unremovable catalyst bits that kept the new nVidia
> drivers from even starting up. :(  Under 98SE. So I got a wild hair
> up my ___ and dl'd the Free DL of Mandrake 10.1, burned the ISO's and
> stuck disk 1 in the cd burner and rebooted to it :)
> I never did get WinE working on older distros... but then I am lousy
> when it comes to speaking Linux-ese ;)
> Also have Mandrake 9 and Redhat 8 (5 cd's there).
> McG.

No, no. no. I moved to Linux but I left a WinME boot to play Tombraider
and such. I tried a couple Win simulators, but they're not quite ready
for prime time (IMNSHO).

But I have replacements for everything I need now. So, for every other
purpose except gaming (oh, and scanning, which I don't do much of), I
use Linux.

If you're happy with WinDoze, be happy, have fun. Just don't come
crying to me when Longhorn goes subscription. :)

---
PW
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 8:52:20 AM

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Rex Reynolds was heard, at
about 03/14/2005 12:33 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Rex Reynolds was heard, at
>>about 03/12/2005 04:42 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>>
>>>let me know if you're having trouble with the 'blara' witch level...took
>>>me a while to get that one figured. although you can start with any
>>>cinema, I think its fair to say that one should do them in order.
>>>rex
>>
>>A lot of wandering back and forth so far. The hole in the wall with
>>nothing in it had me going for a while ... Doh. The mirror room is good,
>>you *have to* pay attention! Not sure I'm getting all the secrets, but I
>>rarely do the first time through.
>>
>>Now I'm down in the caves ... this may take a while ... I've killed Lara
>>at least a dozen times ... stinking pink water!
>>
>>A good level though. *Lots* of atmosphere! It's so spooky its got me
>>jumping at every turn ... :)
>>
>>---
>>PW
>
> ah, so do I gather that you found a use for the shovel?
> rex

That was pretty obvious once I found a use for the torch. Strangely
enough, the first time I tried the torch it didn't work. This truly
surprised me and I wandered around for a good half hour before trying it
again. The second time it took without me having to do so much as look
at it. I just walked in and ... well you know.

But ... I finally found that hard to see ledge, and the rest was a bit
challenging but pretty straight-forward. That is except for the
"escape"! :/  That was a bit annoying; the quarters were just too close
and the solution was not obvious. The intent was clear enough, but I
literally chanced upon the means. Running around like chicken without
its proverbial head! :/

I'm on to Hitchcock. *Very interesting*, a B&W level ... cool.

---
PW
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 8:57:25 AM

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Dungeonbunny was heard, at
about 03/14/2005 05:26 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:o LcZd.142492$qB6.41358@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
>>In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Dungeonbunny was heard, at
>>about 03/14/2005 02:30 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>><snip>

>>>do you have TR1-UB? -can't do them without it :)  I expect PW who is
>
> always
>
>>>a good archive source still has his challenge and pics for posting
>>>somewhere-and if Jeff doesn't come through with his excellent ones I
>
> have a
>
>>>copy saved -the deadly sands is more an experience than a challenge
>
> which
>
>>>McG as well as Jeff was an expert on-and probably lots of people I
>
> haven't
>
>>>mentioned, so ping away when ready I guess? if you search google for the
>>>subjects on this ng - you would spoil it with the answers I think? :)
>>>
>>>DB
>>>

>>Not sure ... just moved over to Linux and cleaned up a bunch of stuff.
>>Pretty sure I archived it off to DVD, but I was mostly concerned with
>>backing up the TRLE stuff (I hope to have time to get back to), among
>>other things (in case of disaster ... which didn't happen).
>>
>>I'll look if you're interested, Duncan.
>>
>>---
>>PW
>

> I have it saved so will post for the group with your permission? :)
>
> DB

Sure, if you've got it handy. np.

Not sure it was really *my* challenge although I think I ended up
getting the farthest into the sands first. IIRC, I posted a pic of Lara
right up against a "wall of stars" (which you're not supposed to get
that close to).

---
PW
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 8:59:15 AM

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
about 03/14/2005 06:12 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Heh.
>>
>>Must be more awake before responding. Yeah. Googling wouldn't be too
>>good if it gives me the answers!!
>>
>>Duncan
>

> Duncan, it ended up being "PW's Deadly Sands Challenge" if my sleepy
> brain recalls right :)  It concerns the fact that in TR1 in the UB
> level, Shadow of the Cat, you can easily go "out of bounds". Out of the
> normal path of gameplay. It was thought at the time that players were
> supposed to do this, and evidence of it would be items out there,
> pickups...secrets. Are there? It was fun and cool, and for such an
> old gem of a game, something new. I think we'll reserve answers to
> that question though for now :)
> McG.

I don't recall any secrets, but there were definitely goodies out there.
Somebody put them there ... so ...

---
PW
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:56:24 AM

There I was, minding my own business, when Pistol Whipped said...

> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
> about 03/14/2005 06:12 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>> Heh.
>>>
>>> Must be more awake before responding. Yeah. Googling wouldn't be too
>>> good if it gives me the answers!!
>>>
>>> Duncan
>>

>> Duncan, it ended up being "PW's Deadly Sands Challenge" if my sleepy
>> brain recalls right :)  It concerns the fact that in TR1 in the UB
>> level, Shadow of the Cat, you can easily go "out of bounds". Out of
>> the normal path of gameplay. It was thought at the time that
>> players were supposed to do this, and evidence of it would be items
>> out there, pickups...secrets. Are there? It was fun and cool,
>> and for such an old gem of a game, something new. I think we'll
>> reserve answers to that question though for now :)
>> McG.
>>

> I don't recall any secrets, but there were definitely goodies out
> there. Somebody put them there ... so ...

Now I am defaintely gonna try it out!! :-)

Thanks guys!

> ---
> PW

Duncan
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:28:18 PM

> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
> about 03/14/2005 06:17 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Rex Reynolds was heard,
>>> at about 03/12/2005 04:42 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...

>>> A lot of wandering back and forth so far. The hole in the wall with
>>> nothing in it had me going for a while ... Doh. The mirror room is
>>> good, you *have to* pay attention! Not sure I'm getting all the
>>> secrets, but I rarely do the first time through.
>>>
>>> Now I'm down in the caves ... this may take a while ... I've killed
>>> Lara at least a dozen times ... stinking pink water!
>>>
>>> A good level though. *Lots* of atmosphere! It's so spooky its got
>>> me jumping at every turn ... :)
>>>
>>> ---
>>> PW
>>

>> this runs on Linux??? I have Mandrake 10.1 installed on the P3-800
>> Ti4600 box in the living room. Just got that on there last night.
>> Was fed UP with ATI's unremovable catalyst bits that kept the new
>> nVidia drivers from even starting up. :(  Under 98SE. So I got a
>> wild hair up my ___ and dl'd the Free DL of Mandrake 10.1, burned
>> the ISO's and stuck disk 1 in the cd burner and rebooted to it :)
>> I never did get WinE working on older distros... but then I am lousy
>> when it comes to speaking Linux-ese ;)
>> Also have Mandrake 9 and Redhat 8 (5 cd's there).
>> McG.
>>

> No, no. no. I moved to Linux but I left a WinME boot to play
> Tombraider and such. I tried a couple Win simulators, but they're
> not quite ready for prime time (IMNSHO).

Well, nothing in the open source world is going to replace PSP9 so open
source will have to run PSP9 viably before I simply stop using Windows.
Until then, I'll keep 98SE/XP Pro running on something :)  The Gimp 2 is
interesting, but it simply doesn't do what PSP9 does. Scanning, will
use XP Pro. Gaming? Whatever works :)

> But I have replacements for everything I need now. So, for every
> other purpose except gaming (oh, and scanning, which I don't do much
> of), I use Linux.
>
> If you're happy with WinDoze, be happy, have fun. Just don't come
> crying to me when Longhorn goes subscription. :)

Um, so why do I have to even DO Longhorn? Hmm?

McG.

> ---
> PW
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:30:01 PM

> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
> about 03/14/2005 06:12 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>> Heh.
>>>
>>> Must be more awake before responding. Yeah. Googling wouldn't be too
>>> good if it gives me the answers!!
>>>
>>> Duncan
>>

>> Duncan, it ended up being "PW's Deadly Sands Challenge" if my sleepy
>> brain recalls right :)  It concerns the fact that in TR1 in the UB
>> level, Shadow of the Cat, you can easily go "out of bounds". Out of
>> the normal path of gameplay. It was thought at the time that
>> players were supposed to do this, and evidence of it would be items
>> out there, pickups...secrets. Are there? It was fun and cool,
>> and for such an old gem of a game, something new. I think we'll
>> reserve answers to that question though for now :)
>> McG.
>>

> I don't recall any secrets, but there were definitely goodies out
> there. Somebody put them there ... so ...
>
> ---
> PW

Yup, and I recall that even though we called it "supposed to" we weren't
happy we'd actually found *everything*. Least, I wasn't :)
McG.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:30:47 PM

> There I was, minding my own business, when Pistol Whipped said...
>
>> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
>> about 03/14/2005 06:12 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>>> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Duncan, it ended up being "PW's Deadly Sands Challenge" if my sleepy
>>> brain recalls right :)  It concerns the fact that in TR1 in the UB
>>> level, Shadow of the Cat, you can easily go "out of bounds". Out of
>>> the normal path of gameplay. It was thought at the time that
>>> players were supposed to do this, and evidence of it would be items
>>> out there, pickups...secrets. Are there? It was fun and cool,
>>> and for such an old gem of a game, something new. I think we'll
>>> reserve answers to that question though for now :)
>>> McG.
>>>

>> I don't recall any secrets, but there were definitely goodies out
>> there. Somebody put them there ... so ...
>
> Now I am defaintely gonna try it out!! :-)
>
> Thanks guys!
>

>> ---
>> PW
>
> Duncan

Hey, just remember this: It isn't called 'Deadly Sands' for nothing!
;)
McG.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 3:10:13 PM

> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Dungeonbunny was heard, at
> about 03/14/2005 05:26 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> > "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
> > news:o LcZd.142492$qB6.41358@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> >
> >>In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Dungeonbunny was heard, at
> >>about 03/14/2005 02:30 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> >><snip>

> > always

> > have a

> > which

> > haven't

> >>Not sure ... just moved over to Linux and cleaned up a bunch of stuff.
> >>Pretty sure I archived it off to DVD, but I was mostly concerned with
> >>backing up the TRLE stuff (I hope to have time to get back to), among
> >>other things (in case of disaster ... which didn't happen).
> >>
> >>I'll look if you're interested, Duncan.
> >>
> >>---
> >>PW
> >

> > I have it saved so will post for the group with your permission? :)
> >
> > DB
> >

> Sure, if you've got it handy. np.
>
> Not sure it was really *my* challenge although I think I ended up
> getting the farthest into the sands first. IIRC, I posted a pic of Lara
> right up against a "wall of stars" (which you're not supposed to get
> that close to).
>
> ---
> PW

sorry- I meant I had *your* expert challenges saved that you set for Izzy
and I and can post if you don't have them to hand :)

DB
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:59:26 AM

> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
>> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
>> about 03/14/2005 06:17 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>>> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message

>>> this runs on Linux??? I have Mandrake 10.1 installed on the P3-800
>>> Ti4600 box in the living room. Just got that on there last night. Was
>>> fed UP with ATI's unremovable catalyst bits that kept the new
>>> nVidia drivers from even starting up. :(  Under 98SE. So I got a
>>> wild hair up my ___ and dl'd the Free DL of Mandrake 10.1, burned
>>> the ISO's and stuck disk 1 in the cd burner and rebooted to it :)
>>> I never did get WinE working on older distros... but then I am lousy
>>> when it comes to speaking Linux-ese ;)
>>> Also have Mandrake 9 and Redhat 8 (5 cd's there).
>>> McG.
>>>

>> No, no. no. I moved to Linux but I left a WinME boot to play
>> Tombraider and such. I tried a couple Win simulators, but they're
>> not quite ready for prime time (IMNSHO).
>
> Well, nothing in the open source world is going to replace PSP9 so open
> source will have to run PSP9 viably before I simply stop using Windows.
> Until then, I'll keep 98SE/XP Pro running on something :)  The Gimp 2 is
> interesting, but it simply doesn't do what PSP9 does. Scanning, will use
> XP Pro. Gaming? Whatever works :)
>

>> But I have replacements for everything I need now. So, for every
>> other purpose except gaming (oh, and scanning, which I don't do much
>> of), I use Linux.
>>
>> If you're happy with WinDoze, be happy, have fun. Just don't come
>> crying to me when Longhorn goes subscription. :)
>
> Um, so why do I have to even DO Longhorn? Hmm?
>
> McG.
>>
>> ---
>> PW

You guys have me here, Longhorn sounds familair as a next gen of somebody,
but I haven't tried to follow the next gen OS's so is it M$ or what. I
tried a couple of times to get redhat and mandrake to run, I coudn't even
create ISO's from my downloads from their sites. A friend gave me a copy of
the lates Redhat (I believe), as of July-August last year, I couldn't get it
to install either, so I'm stuck with M$. What is this subscription
business?? Sometimes I feel about my computer like I do about my car, one
won't run without an OS the other won't run without gas. Bah!! ^_^

Inu-Yasha
Feh!!
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 4:46:16 AM

"Inu-Yasha" <tjardine@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
>>> about 03/14/2005 06:17 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...

>>> No, no. no. I moved to Linux but I left a WinME boot to play
>>> Tombraider and such. I tried a couple Win simulators, but they're
>>> not quite ready for prime time (IMNSHO).
>>
>> Well, nothing in the open source world is going to replace PSP9 so
>> open source will have to run PSP9 viably before I simply stop using
>> Windows. Until then, I'll keep 98SE/XP Pro running on something :)
>> The Gimp 2 is interesting, but it simply doesn't do what PSP9 does.
>> Scanning, will use XP Pro. Gaming? Whatever works :)
>>

>>> But I have replacements for everything I need now. So, for every
>>> other purpose except gaming (oh, and scanning, which I don't do much
>>> of), I use Linux.
>>>
>>> If you're happy with WinDoze, be happy, have fun. Just don't come
>>> crying to me when Longhorn goes subscription. :)
>>
>> Um, so why do I have to even DO Longhorn? Hmm?
>>
>> McG.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> PW
>>

> You guys have me here, Longhorn sounds familair as a next gen of
> somebody, but I haven't tried to follow the next gen OS's so is it M$
> or what. I tried a couple of times to get redhat and mandrake to
> run, I coudn't even create ISO's from my downloads from their sites. A
> friend gave me a copy of the lates Redhat (I believe), as of
> July-August last year, I couldn't get it to install either, so I'm
> stuck with M$. What is this subscription business?? Sometimes I
> feel about my computer like I do about my car, one won't run without
> an OS the other won't run without gas. Bah!! ^_^
> Inu-Yasha
> Feh!!

Got broadband? Here's a link to the Mandrakesoft site. They produce
Linux Mandrake, current is 10.1
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
You can go to downloads, read the links and find the 3 CD set of ISO's
you can download and use for free. You have to kinda snoop around a
bit there, obviously they'd rather you bought something. But they do
HAVE to provide a distro for free under open source rules or something.
Mandrake is the easiest to get running of all the distros I've played
around with.
Download the three ISO images. To the hd of course ;)  I don't know
what OS you're using or what burning software. I have XP Pro and I
bought Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.1 Platinum a while back, and that's what
I used to create CD from disk image. Then I carried the 3 disk set to
my old box in the living room, popped in disk 1 and booted it from my
lowly 12X Phillips cdrw I have in that one. I just let it wipe windows
and claim the full 20 gig drive. I have a little 30 gig I'll put
something else on. Mandrake 10.1 installer prompted me for my disks and
really very little else. It would have been a tad more complicated if
I'd had it use some free space in the windows 98SE partition. I just
opted for easiest. It took about 35 minutes. 5 minutes was spent
waiting for it to take off again after I put in disk2...but it needed me
to click the ok box ;)  duh! It found my little network, got itself
right online quick :o \ found ALL my hardware, even has GOOD drivers and
options for vanilla use of my Ti4600! No sound card in that one. Just
a toybox :)  I think I'll shell out the bucks and get their 6 cd package
that's about $80 US IIRC. This one looks that good. Honest, it was the
easiest install of a complete opsys I've ever done.
LONGHORN- multimedia version of future XP I think. Combines all your
comms and entertainment needs into one package. AND...just like you
subscribe to Cable TV (or cable internet access) PW is predicting M$
will start a sub to their OS now too. WOuldn't doubt it a bit.
Hope this helps a bit!
McG.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 4:23:12 AM

> [...]
> 35 minutes. 5 minutes was spent waiting for it to take off again after I
> put in disk2...but it needed me to click the ok box ;)  duh! It found my
> little network, got itself right online quick :o \ found ALL my hardware,
> even has GOOD drivers and options for vanilla use of my Ti4600! No sound
> card in that one. Just a toybox :)  I think I'll shell out the bucks and
> get their 6 cd package that's about $80 US IIRC. This one looks that
> good. Honest, it was the easiest install of a complete opsys I've ever
> done.
> LONGHORN- multimedia version of future XP I think. Combines all your
> comms and entertainment needs into one package. AND...just like you
> subscribe to Cable TV (or cable internet access) PW is predicting M$ will
> start a sub to their OS now too. WOuldn't doubt it a bit.

Thanks, that does help and explain a lot, think about it I think it was
driver problems the kept me from getting Linux from running. Longhorn
sounds like Win XP media Center, so HP's have it for an OS, I'm not touching
that with a ten foot pole. I tried to may my ISO's before with the ISO
option in CDclone, didn't work probably incompatable with my drive of choise
at the time. I have 6-7 computers floating around, an Amiga 500 (grin), a
386SX, a pentium I Dell, Compaq P#, an Athlon kludge box, an HP P4 and an
e-machine Celeron (my son's). The 3 oldest are in the garage ^_^ (I do love
that Amiga tho). I shall try your link soon, and see what up's. Thanks,
and now back to our regularly scheduled Lara quest! ^_^

Inu-Yasha
Feh!!
!