New motherboard for dell xps 430

Ascendtech carries an Intel 965 btx board for $39.99 that should fit your case. It will run older core2 duo cpus, such as the e6400. For more choices, you should move all your old drives over to an atx case; newegg sometimes has them for $20 shipped. You may need a new windows coa, or call microsoft and see if they will give you a new keycode.

chosenbydesign7

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Awesome thanks alot i will check it out....................what i was also trying to avoid was switching my components over to a new case. Does anyone know if i can get a motherboard for the Dell XPS 430 that will fit a 1156 or 1366 socket Icore CPU. I spoke to a rep from dell and was told that I could use the board that came with the dell XPS 730X. Is this info true?

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
chosenbydesign7:

The way I look at it, your best bet is to buy a new case. If you buy a new ATX case that is of comparable quality to the BTX case that Dell gave you, you're going to spend $50.

AFter you spend that $50, you're all set. You can do all the motherboard replacements that you want for the next 10 or more years in the same case. You will save money in the end -- if you buy a new computer from Dell, you're paying for components that you already have -- a new power supply, hard drive, etc. You don't really need to replace those parts very often. When the next iteration of Intel processors come out, your cost to completely gut and rebuild your machine (possibly increasing the speed over Sandy Bridge by 50%) at a cost of:

motherboard = 180
Processor = 200

$380 for a complete upgrade -- what would $380 get you over at Dell? Not a whole hell of a lot...

My advice would be to drop $50 on a ATX case and $50 on a ATX PSU unless you know that you're going to die in the next 2 years...

I know none of this answers your question and I do sympathize with you; I myself write this on an older Dell desktop right now that I'll be replacing with my first new build when Sandy Bridge parts fall in price. I would just urge you to follow my lead on this -- I'm certain you won't regret it.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
To kind of tag on to my own point with proof, I did a search on dell.com for the cheapest i5-based machines. The cheapest I could find is a XPS 580 with an i5 650 -- the price? $599 without shipping. The 650 isn't even a Sandy Bridge proc.

For a Sandy Bridge machine, you're looking at a minimum of a XPS8300 with an i5 2300, which is not the highest end i5 by any means...

Meanwhile, a motherboard of good quality -- say a Asus P8P67 -- is going to run you $164. The top-of-the-line i5 2500k -- which will last you for years, if not forever -- will run you $224. That's $388 total.

Then we have to look at resale value. Let's say that you're upgrading from Lynnfield to Sandy Bridge; Asus lynnfield motherboards are selling on eBay for about $100. i5 650 processors used are selling for about $120. So to go from Lynnfield to Sandy Bridge you would be looking at a net cost of $150.

Just saying...plan for the long-term and cut the OEM cord...

Cider_Monster

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Sorry to pick up an old topic but it is massively relevant to my next question....

Having just (mainly) watched #1 son building a new i5 system I'm dead jealous.

I have an XPS430 and by the read of it the case won't support modern motherboards??

Presumably I'd need an ATX case, Power supply, Motherboard, Processor and graphics card and just re-use the other bits from the Dell (DVD Drive, Card reader etc)?

xps-430-2b-soft.jpg

I am confused about statements here, so this is the picture and it is BTX, so XPS 430 motherboard can not go to different case and standard motherboard can not go to XPS 430 case.

ravgopal

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
When I look at my computer property, my processor is : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @2.50Ghz 2.49Ghz
Can anyone tell me whether it is ATX or BTX? When I stress my computer with full virus scanning + watch videos or just watch any online videos, my computer freezes. Service person is saying my mother board socket is damaged and I need to replace the mother board. Not sure whether it is worth to replace the mother board or to go with i3. I prefer to go with later i5 or i7 but seems like I need to change a lot including my tower, which I don't prefer to spend more.

Thanks in advance.

Benevolence

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Let's add in another variable: Operating System.
Dell Bios contains your windows activation key, and swapping out for a non-Dell board means that you will have to purchase a new license for your software. This isn't an issue for nonOEM installation, Linuz, MacOS etc, but something to consider if you haven't already.