Sign in with
Your question

Anyone else in agreement?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 5:48:59 PM

I agree, but I also think there should be a rating for people who have posted a question and never bothered to respond or comeback...
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 6:21:32 PM

The word "Addict" is too simple, not really descriptive of the type of individual who lives, breathes just to go this site because they derive great pleasure in reading and posting stuff here.

They should change it to something like "super-orgiasmic" or something like that.

Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 6:29:39 PM

"Tom's Zombie Soldiers" or something like that...?
a c 83 à CPUs
August 12, 2010 7:07:35 PM

Wow, had to click that link like 10 times for it to open. lol

I'm fine with addict, but maybe they could change it to tech addict or something.
a c 103 à CPUs
August 12, 2010 7:32:41 PM

I agree and as you say, a lot of first timers dont know the ranking system, or how to find it for reference
Maybe Old-timer could be a replacement title?
Im about to go Veteran and I'm worried that people may trust my opinion hehe :) 
Moto
a c 127 à CPUs
August 12, 2010 8:06:19 PM

enzo matrix said:
Anyone else in agreement?
http://feedbacks.tomshardware.com/forums/14581-site-for...

Yep. I do agree. I also think that the system is a tad broken. I see people who just post a lot of useless info and have no real experience with a higher ranking than people who do have experience and post useful stuff.

The way the system is now, it basically says the more you post, the high your points, the higher the ranking and the more you know. Its not always true. If I set there and make sure to post 100 times a day I can have the higher rank but I don't. Its useless.

But I still agree that Addict sounds meh.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 8:11:01 PM

To be honest, I'm kind of indifferent. I don't really pay much attention to the rankings.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 8:49:16 PM

Agree with jimmysmitty and Enzo. Point total is misleading at best. Addict is hardly an appropriate label to designate a step up in status from veteran. I have been confronted/asked/called an addict as in drug addict before when the poster questioned my addict designation. I would add the designation of being an addict even in the sense of being a forum addict is shallow at best. You remain an addict until you have like 100K points. Pinch me. I may become a master. Master of what? Before the always witty French techs applied their ghetto related forum status name designations to Toms fourm members, these were the former forum status designations.

1. 0 stranger
2. 25 newbie
3. 50 journeyman
4. 100 member
5. 200 enthusiast
6. 400 addict
7. 700 old hand
8. 1100 nimble knuckle
9. 1600 Honorary Poster
10. 2200 Faithful Poster
11. 2900 Ancient Poster
12. 3700 Eternal Poster
13. 4600 Forum Veteran
14. 5600 Forum Fixture
15. 6700 Forum Resident
16. 7900 Forum Master
17. 9200 Forum Gigolo
18. 10600 Honorary Veteran of THGC
19. 12100 Honorary Fixture of THGC
20. 13700 Honorary Resident of THGC
21. 15400 Honorary Master of THGC
22. 17200 Honorary Gigolo of THGC
23. 19100 Honorary Guru of THGC
24. 30000 Master Historian of THGC
25. 45000 Master Gigolo of THGC
26. 62000 Master Guru of THGC
27. 80000 Master Wizard of THGC
28. 100000 Master Elder of THGC

EDIT these designations are determined by number of posts not points.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 8:50:32 PM

^+1
Complete Overhall!
a c 120 à CPUs
August 12, 2010 10:11:08 PM

I think the current system and titles are fine.
I'd like to see some quality control that demerits some posters for useless or unneccesary post.
I was responding to a thread today and some guy had 3 post saying nothing pertaining to the thread.
Also some demerit for mutiple thread starters asking the same thing.
I've seen quite a few of those lately.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 10:21:16 PM

A veteran with 1200 posts? I remember 'years and years ago when 1200 posts = nimble nuckle. It took years to become a veteran, not months. There is nOOb joke in there somewhere.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 10:23:57 PM

Wow badge, I couldn't have said it better myself. Now if I can only figure out what the random circles and hammers mean...
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 10:27:29 PM

Well, I dont mean to appear rash, but there was a time when being a forum veteran required 4600 posts.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 10:27:47 PM

all i know is i got robbed of points

i lost loads but hey ho.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 10:33:01 PM

I'll be honest, I've always preferred the REP system. Even a forum Veteran from the old system could be a completely useless idiot. That is one of the reasons I like OCN, though they are completely nuts over there.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 10:34:59 PM

4600 post Forum Veteran = in most cases someone with years of experience as part of the community.

1200 post Veteran = an interested nOOb. (not a poster in this thread :)  )
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 10:39:12 PM

Hellboy said:

i lost loads but hey ho.

2088 posts x 4 points each = 8352 points. That's minimum with no extras like best answer. I'd say so. I should have 11,400 posts x 4 points = 45,600 points minimum. I should at least be designated Ruler of the French escargo eating tech muffins.
a c 105 à CPUs
August 12, 2010 10:47:54 PM

i think the order should be

a-hole
super a-hole
incredible a-hole
!@#$ing a-hole

and the last title would be

head a-hole
a c 127 à CPUs
August 13, 2010 2:19:11 AM

davcon said:
I think the current system and titles are fine.
I'd like to see some quality control that demerits some posters for useless or unneccesary post.
I was responding to a thread today and some guy had 3 post saying nothing pertaining to the thread.
Also some demerit for mutiple thread starters asking the same thing.
I've seen quite a few of those lately.

Its the system that allows thos who post 3 useless replies to rack up on the points. I have seen plenty of newbs here less than 6 months rank up to Veteran or even Addict and they are still asking more questions than giving answers.

badge said:
Well, I dont mean to appear rash, but there was a time when being a forum veteran required 4600 posts.

Yes and your set of names actually seems just like the old version which made more sense.

Hellboy said:

i lost loads but hey ho.

Same. But meh. I still have my join date which I think I should have 3 years in October.....

badge said:
2088 posts x 4 points each = 8352 points. That's minimum with no extras like best answer. I'd say so. I should have 11,400 posts x 4 points = 45,600 points minimum. I should at least be designated Ruler of the French escargo eating tech muffins.

Or Sir Kick Ass, knight of the Chew Bubble Gum and Kick Ass table. And we have plenty of bubble gum.
August 13, 2010 2:19:46 AM

I'll agree addict seems out of place. Maybe go veteran to elder?
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 2:54:30 AM

I like badge's system. I have 1,718 posts, but only 1397 points. I'm only considered an apprentice. I've been on here for about three years, and I usually give good advise (At least I think I do).
a c 127 à CPUs
August 13, 2010 2:55:27 AM

runswindows95 said:
I like badge's system. I have 1,718 posts, but only 1397 points. I'm only considered an apprentice. I've been on here for about three years, and I usually give good advise (At least I think I do).

I think time should also play a role. 1 year is equal to so much towards a rank.
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 2:57:56 AM

That it should. Even if the person doesn't post a lot, but are at least active on here, time should be factored in as well. To be honest, most of the topics I read, someone has already said my thoughts,so I don't even bother posting. Again, I know of a few of the older forum members who are the same way.
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 3:37:11 AM

Another problem I see with the points system. You get 100 points just for signing up. I just checked, and two people with 1 post already have 104 points. Now, just keep addings points to a your topic, and you can easily build up points. Not a good system at all.
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 4:21:52 AM

any system that is/was/will be implemented has flaws. no matter what someone is gonna get screwed over

to answer the original question posed, yes; i think addict should be changed to something more professional/appropriate
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 7:26:05 AM

jimmysmitty said:
But meh. I still have my join date which I think I should have 3 years in October.....

In dog years I have been a member of Toms for 31 years. Old Sir Kick Ass is 233 years old by his wife's estimation.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/dogyears.htm
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 7:45:43 AM

jimmysmitty said:
Its the system that allows thos who post 3 useless replies to rack up on the points. I have seen plenty of newbs here less than 6 months rank up to Veteran or even Addict and they are still asking more questions than giving answers.

Maybe because selecting the right answer also gives the selector 25 points. And the person who gave the best answer gets just 40. So you can rack up points quickly even by selecting the best answer to all the questions you made. Either that should be reduced to something like 10 or 15 or the best answer points should be increased from 40 to something like 70 or 80. Because a helpful answer is worth a lot more than a dimwitted idiotic post here and there that we see a lot of in this forum. I raised this topic on the feedback section. But got no replies. :( 

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/33025-12-selecting-an...
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 7:51:38 AM

badge said:

The sad thing is.... you want to be French..

Thats not a good thing in the long run.... :) 
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 7:53:20 AM

jimmysmitty said:

Yes and your set of names actually seems just like the old version which made more sense.

Same. But meh. I still have my join date which I think I should have 3 years in October.....

Or Sir Kick Ass, knight of the Chew Bubble Gum and Kick Ass table. And we have plenty of bubble gum.

Hello Jimmy :) 

Maybe that should start of with Sex GOD and finnish of with fat McDonald munching person with no ego, girlfriends appart from a World of Warcraft character called Betty and you dog called Peter has been taken to a dog catcher on its own accord as not being taken out for walks and thought having a quick death was better than dying by boredom.
a c 172 à CPUs
August 13, 2010 8:23:17 AM

Enzo, I agree also. Even such a simple change as "tech addict" would be good.

I am not too concerned with the useless posts. We have all done that. Sometimes, you just can't resist. :) 

I do like the "best answer" bonus points.
a c 103 à CPUs
August 13, 2010 9:14:37 AM

^ /agree Jsc,

As hard as I try to be helpful,polite and give good advice, and hopefully a decent member of Toms community,
theres always that one thread that puts the little red guy on your shoulder whispering in ones ear :) 
I freely admit to having once used the ' Have you tried turning it off and back on again' line, I just had to.
can't always be good hehe :p 
and +1 for Tech addict also,subtle yet good change
Moto
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 10:42:04 AM

I also like the bonus points, just would like a little margin on the points from being selected to selecting.

We all make nonsense posts here and there. But its the number of nonsense post that matter. Especially hate the fanboi posts. They are as good as posting "I am an idiot", on the forum!

How about "Tech Guru" in place of Addict??

And i think Veteran should come after Addict not before!

I reached Veteran today and I am only 9 months old here. :) 
Please congratulate me! :D 

Will soon be crossing my 1000 post landmark! :) 
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 10:57:13 AM

This reminds me of the thread with the title: "Yes"... so lame...

If opening a post (even a useless one) can give bigger points, 100 posts a day can get you leveled up in a flash. A quality post reward or reputation system would be more appropriate.

I personally like the best answer system the best, because it keeps everyone at their full potentials in giving advices for troubleshooting questions... Not some insulting post calling people from alien planet, which reminds me of another post... lol

As for the term "Addict" I agree that it should be put under "Veteran"... Veteran sounds old school, full of experience... Well, that's just me though
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 10:59:50 AM

In terms of significance, here are my views:

Posts are more of an indicator as to how active one is on the forums, to a certain point post totals don't really matter, I mean you could have 100 posts and possess the knowledge of a master or 1000 and still really know nothing. Pass a certain point though, say 5000, I'd say it'd be pretty hard for s/he to not know quite a lot about hardware, after lurking for so long. There may be a few exceptions, but few as in < 10.

Best answers are a better indicator of knowledge, although the badges system is a bit too generic, there's no difference between 60 best answers and 140 for the hardware section.

Points are a horrible mix up of posts and best answers, quite a few people's points have been 'stolen' effectively, specifically, those with less than a 1:4 post to point ratio. However, points are the most appealing or easy to follow in terms of rankings.
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 1:23:19 PM

I agree with Badge. Bring back the old system.
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 1:50:06 PM

Veteran. Sounds like been in the war or served your nation. Doesn't really convey the wee hours reading and filtering through all the trolls' crap here at TH.

If you're gonna keep "Veteran" then convert the rank system to the Armed Forces, private, corporal and so forth until you get to the 4 Star General and those would have to approved by Senators but there can only one Commander in Chief.
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 2:15:03 PM

a usually pay no attention to the rank, but maybe because i finally got above the 4:1 ratio, but from the sounds of it, the old system was better (either i haven't been here long enough or i forgot)

after a while you usually figure out if someone is an idiot or actually knows something (hell there are a few "veterans" that can't make decent posts)
a c 172 à CPUs
August 13, 2010 2:21:42 PM

The problem with a reputation system is that you need to post to get one.

Lmeow said:

Posts are more of an indicator as to how active one is on the forums, to a certain point post totals don't really matter, I mean you could have 100 posts and possess the knowledge of a master or 1000 and still really know nothing.

True.

And on the subject of junk posts, I am not too worried. Say someone can consistently put up 100 junk posts a day. That's 2800 points per week. That would take about 5 months of serious effort to roll past the 50k points mark. Without a corresponding number of "best answers", it would be very apparent that was what the poster was doing.

Lmeow said:

Pass a certain point though, say 5000, I'd say it'd be pretty hard for s/he to not know quite a lot about hardware, after lurking for so long.

You'd think. But it depends a lot on the individual. Is he taking the answers, both good and bad, and using his experience to build on them? Or is he simply parroting what looks to be a good answer?

Lmeow said:

Best answers are a better indicator of knowledge, although the badges system is a bit too generic, there's no difference between 60 best answers and 140 for the hardware section.

Depends how you look at it. A gold badge should be hard to get. And, no, I don't have any gold hardware or software badges. :) 

Lmeow said:
Points are a horrible mix up of posts and best answers, quite a few people's points have been 'stolen' effectively, specifically, those with less than a 1:4 post to point ratio. However, points are the most appealing or easy to follow in terms of rankings.

That happened in the conversion process from the old system to the new. And I was one of those who lost (a few) points.
August 13, 2010 2:22:57 PM

Noob here, but, I've been on other forums for years. The system wasn't particularly confusing to me. It just tells me someone has been here for a long time. Other places often use post counts.

The content/quality of their posts tells me if they know what they are talking about.

Isn't getting to know the other forum members via that content/quality more appropriate? About the only automatic promotion that I would see as valid is via the number of times your response is selected as a "Best Response".

My .02.
a c 127 à CPUs
August 13, 2010 6:14:39 PM

Warning: Usless post ahead.

J/K.

I myself still think the system was just messed up. There are those who come here new that tend to be pretty knowledgeable and then there are those who are not. Then there are people like Badge who just are. They have been with THGF forever. I myself only joing THGF back in 07 but have been messing with PCs since 1994. My first one was a Windows 95. Been reading THG since 2003.

This isn't the first time people have spoke out against the new system either. In fact when it was first implemented it was spoken against.

Maybe they will listen to us some day.
a c 203 à CPUs
August 13, 2010 6:58:24 PM

Added 3 points to your suggestion.
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2010 7:43:47 PM

Hello. Score! 4 points ftw :D 

Give credit to those that give good answer, not to the ones that are just posting all over the forums. Even a system that counted posts on the forum would be bad, since anyone can rack up posts if they wanted to.

The points system shouldn't give points to people that ask questions and get answers, the asker should have to use that knowledge he/she learned later to be able to get credit. More points should be given to those that are selected 'Best Answer' than to those that just post all the time, maybe lowering the post points to 1-2 would at least make it harder for someone to just rack up points by posting nonsense. It would be good to have more ranks while making it harder to get to the highest one.
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 4:47:08 AM

Haserath said:
Hello. Score! 4 points ftw :D 

lol

I agree that addict sounds like something you'd prefer not to be - points added.

I am relatively new here, but I like to think I know enough to be useful, and not just another random poster. If I post onto a topic that I have started, I should not get extra points for that, and anything that is removed or flagged should not count towards points. I don't know if this is already the case, but it sounds like a good idea.

I agree that giving good answers is important, but I think the amount of work and deliberation that goes into a response or conversation is important. A longer and more detailed answer, or a topic that takes 20-30 posts to resolve might be worth more than a topic that is solved in the first five or six, or a one word or one sentence answer.

People who post for the sake of posting, and for seeing their rank go up will get what is coming to them eventually, and anyone who's been here a while should know who these people are.

Enzo - Good luck with getting this changed.
!