Games That Can Utilize More Threads

What games do you expect to see in the near future with the ability to fully utilize the now popular 6 core processors?
16 answers Last reply
More about games utilize threads
  1. near future...none

    games are just beginning to utilize quad cores
  2. defiantly a console disaster will make use of them.... like GTA4 a bad port game that uses a Quad....
  3. Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2. Hopefully.
  4. A few years from now, all the best games games will use 6 cores or more.
  5. At what point will games be able to keep up with new hardware, it feels like when the gaming community takes a step foward with graphics, the cpu/gpu companies take 3 steps forward...
  6. World of Warcraft's new expansion?
    Please Blizz, please!!!!! plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz hehe
    Moto
  7. Well, I remember reading something stating that Civ 5 will utilize as many threads as you can throw at it.
  8. What on earth could civilization use with multiple threads? Unless they have developed a powerfull AI, which would be great because Civilization AI's become predictable after a while.
  9. Computerrock1 said:
    At what point will games be able to keep up with new hardware, it feels like when the gaming community takes a step foward with graphics, the cpu/gpu companies take 3 steps forward...


    when the next generation of consoles come out.

    these days, the gaming community is focused around building games for consoles and then porting them to pc, almost as an afterthought.

    cpu/gpu companies arn't held back by the requirements of consoles, so they are free to expand their products capabilities to meet the needs of users who use commercial grade software that needs a higher performing cpu/gpu.

    As for hex-core gaming, i highly doubt bf3 or crysis 2 will utilize 6 cores. at most they will utilize 4. quad-core gaming is just starting to show up (gta 4) and i believe it will be at least a couple of years before hexcore cpus go mainstream enough to warrent developers to make use of the extra power. or maybe the industry will skip by hex-core gaming on go straight to octo-core gaming...who knows?
  10. Theres more to computing than gaming,
    how about doctors using 3d modelling software to practice virtual surgery?
    Moto
  11. Computerrock1 said:
    What on earth could civilization use with multiple threads? Unless they have developed a powerfull AI, which would be great because Civilization AI's become predictable after a while.


    Well at least with Civ 4 (never notice it with II) when you got a large map that full of your and the enem(y/ies)
    troops, citys, ect, the game slows down to nearly a crawl.

    So i see with adding mass multi core/threading ability a big plus.
  12. Quote:
    OP wants to know when games will use more thread.my point is that if developers can code crysis quality graphics with dual core then why they will even bother making games using 8 threads.Multithreaded games are difficult code as copared to 2 or 3 threads.



    I appreciate that dude, its just he said 'who needs hexcore',
    I was pointing out although no use to gamers atm, they do have a valid use :)
    Moto
  13. Motopsychojdn said:
    Theres more to computing than gaming,
    how about doctors using 3d modelling software to practice virtual surgery?
    Moto

    leave it to doctor's.......they will not get that much time to spend ona pc though.... :whistle:
  14. games just started to see Quad core's extra 2 cores compare to dual.... now there r hexacore out.... and intel and amd planning for octocores next year..... :pfff:
  15. umm, BF:BC2 can use 8 threads (if there is enough load) and Battlefield 3 which uses Frostbite 2.0 (instead of BC2's 1.5) will be able to use 16 threads
  16. Computerrock1 said:
    What games do you expect to see in the near future with the ability to fully utilize the now popular 6 core processors?


    Portal 2. Since currently L4D, L4D2 and TF2 all can utilize multiple cores pretty well and as far as I have seen it scales pretty well with even 8 or 12 threads. Of course benefit to those games isn't much since they already run great without multi core rendering.

    Anonymous said:
    defiantly a console disaster will make use of them.... like GTA4 a bad port game that uses a Quad....


    GTA IV was made to run on 3 cores at least. And even with the power of a dual core, I doubt it would have been able to be changed.

    As for the cores, if Intels Terascale project goes well they just might say screw it and throw that CPU at us. They have a 48 core in testing with Universities and they did make a 80 core.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Games Processors