WuMyster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Hi There,
I've recently purchased a Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB and I've been facing freezing issues. When it happens my whole system will freeze for either 20s-1min. Is this a well known issue? Ive heard that this is because of the Sandforce controller.

WuMyster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Mobo's BIOS is up to date. The HyperX 3K doesnt have any firmware update. The 5K one does though unfortunately.

WuMyster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

What the ***. I got the drive delivered about a week ago and installed it into the comp about 2 days ago with 2 fresh installs of Windows 7.

Try one more fresh install of Windows. This time though Secure Erase the drive 1st to restore it to fresh-out-of-the-box condition.

If you're still having problems after the SE & fresh install contact Kingston customer support and see if they are coming out with any firmware updates any time soon.

WuMyster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
After using SE and a fresh install should I redownload my games and what not or just back them up and then transfer them.

WuMyster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Battlefield 3 does!

WuMyster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Guys, I just got the most BullShit response from the so called "technical help" team. I am admittedly running the SSD on a SATA-II board with no ACHl support. Their response was that my desktop simply doesn't support an SSD. WTF? Running it in IDE mode is perfectly fine isn't it? TRIM is of no use to me and I forgot the other option but I'm pretty sure that was useless to me as well.
Please tell me that that person was wrong.

TRIM and Garbage Collection are used by SSDs to maintain drive performance.

All you have to do is Log Off (not Shut down) overnight once every other week or so to allow Garbage Collection to maintain drive performance.

The lack of TRIM and your SSD being in IDE mode in and of itself should have nothing to do with your freezing issues. Yes, your drive will have lower Read/Write speeds but it should not freeze.

That being said though, some SSDs have compatibility issues with older motherboards/chipsets.

Do the SE & fresh install and see if that helps.

TRENDING THREADS