Flumoxed about a graphics card and CS5

Hello,

I am totally flumoxed about what graphics card to buy with my newly configured Dell computer.

The basics are:

Intel Core i7-975
12 GB Tri Channel Memory
1 TB hard drive
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

I am a photographer processing multiple HDR photos at one time using Photoshop CS5 and Photomatix, as well as using other graphic intensive software like Corel Painter X1 and Lightroom. I would also like to use the 3D and animation capabilities in the new Photoshop CS5. I've seen the list of Adobe tested cards but it's STILL not clear to me how to proceed. I read somewhere on your site that there 3 tiers under which you can run PHOTOSHOP CS5 depending on your graphics card capabilities. I'm hoping to have all three tiers available to me.

Here are a couple of the choices the Dell site offers:

ATI Radeon HD 5450
ATI Radeon HD 5670
ATI Radeon HD 5870
nVidia GeForce GTX 240
nVidia GeForce GTX 260

But, I'm not above just buying the system without a graphics card and then getting what I want after market so any other suggestions?

BTW I do not do any gaming.

Thank you.
8 answers Last reply
More about flumoxed graphics card
  1. Hmm, the new Adobe CS5 has exclusive GPU support from Nvidia for encoding videos. You might want to consider one of the Nvidia cards.

GTX 240 will be a bit too weak, but GTX 260 will be good.
  2. Firstly, the i7 975 is an improper choice at this time.. If you can shell out that much cash than a 6 core i7 980X is the way to go( Personally, for that much cash i'd get an i7 930, a 160 GB intel SSD and two 1TB 7200RPM hard drives).. About the video card, if you need to get one of the dell offerings, then i'd suggest the GTX 260..
  3. Emperus said:
    Firstly, the i7 975 is an improper choice at this time.. If you can shell out that much cash than a 6 core i7 980X is the way to go( Personally, for that much cash i'd get an i7 930, a 160 GB intel SSD and two 1TB 7200RPM hard drives).. About the video card, if you need to get one of the dell offerings, then i'd suggest the GTX 260..

I've read that a 6 core processor can actually slow things down and a lot of the programs out right now cannot take advantage of it capacity. Can you elaborate on WHY the i7 975 is an "improper choice"?

The only nvidia Geforce card that Adobe tested is the GTX 285. Of course Dell does not offer this choice so would it be better to buy it myself and install it or take one of the cards they offer?
  4. Chronobodi said:
    Hmm, the new Adobe CS5 has exclusive GPU support from Nvidia for encoding videos. You might want to consider one of the Nvidia cards.

GTX 240 will be a bit too weak, but GTX 260 will be good.

Would it be better, yet, to buy the Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 and install it myself? For some reason, after reading a LOT of stuff, I've concluded that the Nvidia GeForce cards are actually "gaming" cards. Do you know if this is true?

Thanks for your help!
  5. Hello nlmcc;

I think your questions could get a lot of help if you edit the title of the topic to include CS5.
    Hopefully that will attract the attention of the guys that have a lot of knowledge in that area.
    Something like: Graphics card choice for CS5.

Most would say the $900 spent upgrading to the i7 975 does not provide a sufficient improvement in performance to justify itself.
  6. 1. That 6 core won't be slowing down anything.. Its just that since the apps cannot process on that many threads (which are 12 on the 6 core and 8 on the quad), the difference noted gets negligible.. Rest assured, future generation apps are going to get more efficient while utilizing a CPU with all its features.. If you are putting that much cash, you'll definitely be aiming maximum longevity.. This is where the i7 980X kicks in.. And since both have the same pricing, the purchase of an i7 975 becomes pointless..

2. The GTX 285 would be another waste of money.. Both the GTX 285 and the GTX 260 share the same feature set.. The major difference which might matter to you would be the availability of more CUDA cores on the 285.. But the premium it costs, nullifies this advantage also..

3. YES..!!!! The GeForce series is for gaming and desktop usage.. The Quadro series forms the workstation class.. But they are a lot more costly for the equivalent desktop counterpart.. Quadros find their place when dealing with real 3D apps such as 3DS Max, 3D Maya etc.. Nvidia does provide the Quadro CX ccards touting them to be accelerating performance in adobe apps but that is more of a marketing gimmick.. All in all, you'd do fine with the GeForce series..
  7. Thank you for further elaborating. I am trying to buy ahead for the future. I've had my current system 5 years now so I tend to drive them into the ground before upgrading. I'll consider the i7 980X. I read somewhere on this site that the GTX 260 is actually "OLDER" technology and that Dell is probably trying to offload their overstock. Adobe published a list of "tested" cards for CS5 and the only GeForce on the list was the GTX 285. I'm not sure if the system I'm configuring would support the GTX 285 if I bought it and installed it myself--since Dell is not offering it. Do you have any opinions there?
  8. Ask the Dell technicians over that.. You can buy any aftermarket video card and fit it in.. All it requirers is the slot to be compliant.. If the GTX 260 is with the 192 shader processors then its the older one.. The newer one is with 212 shader processors.. Check it out.. The reason i am against the 285 is because of its higher power requirements, higher price and no evident gains for your concerned app over the GTX 260.. May be you could start with the GTX 260 and later change over to a higher spec card when nvidia releases its mid range dx11 series cards..
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Photoshop Graphics Product