Solved

Upgrading my Phenom II X2 550 3.7ghz

Hi! I'm thinking about upgrading my phenom II X2 3.7ghz to X4 955 BE and oc it or X6 1090t. Is my X2 still fine or do I need to upgrade it now? But the x6 is still kind of expensive or wait for the 1075t and phenom II X4 940t. I'm into high'end gaming, photoshop, some video editing..
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading phenom 7ghz
  1. I would go for the x4 965 be, its got the highest stock clock and overclocks like a dream. At the moment, not many games or programs can utilize 6 cores.
  2. hey why don't u go with PII x4 965 BE........it's a superb processor....at native 3.4 Ghz.....
  3. Computerrock1 said:
    I would go for the x4 965 be, its got the highest stock clock and overclocks like a dream. At the moment, not many games or programs can utilize 6 cores.

    huhhh i was typing and u posted it first..lol :lol: .. my slow typing.. :pt1cable:
  4. ^+1 That's what I said.
  5. It all depends on what apps you use most. I do a lot of video editing/encoding so I use the hexacore 1055T that I bought from Newegg for $184. It was $199 but came with a $15 gift card.

    If you only play games and your PII is already at 3.7 ghz, you'll be sort of disappointed going to a quadcore because you won't notice the difference in framerates.
  6. Yeah! I was thinking of an x4 965 too but my budget now is still enough for a 955. :( I only need to add Php4,600 (that's $100 USD) for a 955 and like Php5980 ($130) for 965 according to the retailer..
  7. Also, I'm running a Phenom II x2 550, I'm still running all my games at high and nothing is slow... It actually ran faster than my phenom 9600
  8. Yup.:) I'm into gaming for now. Gonna practice and do some video editing soon. But I'm not yet into multitasking. By the way, is my x2 @ 3.7ghz good for some video editing too and kind of future proof? or still upgrade to an x4?
  9. Best answer
    I would keep it until bulldozer comes out! That way you can either buy the phenom II for cheap(er), or you could still upgrade onto the newest cpu architecture! I would definetly wait and keep your dual core.
  10. Computerrock1 said:
    I would keep it until bulldozer comes out! That way you can either buy the phenom II for cheap(er), or you could still upgrade onto the newest cpu architecture! I would definetly wait and keep your dual core.


    Yeah!! That sounds practical. :) The comp store owner told me that $100 add'l from X2 to x4 955 BE w/ free overclocking. Hehe! But I'll ask them again if they'll allow me to upgrade my x2 until the bulldozer comes out..
  11. rohn_avni said:
    huhhh i was typing and u posted it first..lol :lol: .. my slow typing.. :pt1cable:


    Hehehe! :lol:
  12. By the way, Do I need to reformat my pc if I'll upgrade the processor?
  13. No.. Not at all
  14. Nop u will not need to reformat or reinstall anything... just swap the processor's and enjoy.....
  15. hundredislandsboy said:
    It all depends on what apps you use most. I do a lot of video editing/encoding so I use the hexacore 1055T that I bought from Newegg for $184. It was $199 but came with a $15 gift card.

    If you only play games and your PII is already at 3.7 ghz, you'll be sort of disappointed going to a quadcore because you won't notice the difference in framerates.

    woohhhh i got my Q8300 for 160$.... intel is costly....... :ouch:
  16. rohn_avni said:
    woohhhh i got my Q8300 for 160$.... intel is costly....... :ouch:


    That should be obviouse when an Athlon II X4 639 @ $100 matches it's performance at a much cheaper price, or that the Phenom II X4 processors out perform it for less or slightly more depending on model. :lol:


    OP: I don't see much reason to upgrade, unless your computer actually feels slow to you.
  17. loneninja said:
    That should be obviouse when an Athlon II X4 639 @ $100 matches it's performance at a much cheaper price, or that the Phenom II X4 processors out perform it for less or slightly more depending on model. :lol:


    OP: I don't see much reason to upgrade, unless your computer actually feels slow to you.

    but i don't have any choice that time..... i need to change whole platform for the 60$ saving!!!! and the will cost a bomb to my pocket...... :non:
  18. Some pc components here in my country are so expensive. Like my mobo. It cost me Php13500 ($295 USD). :( But It's just $179.99 in newegg..
  19. Best answer selected by kraut_aa.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Video Editing Phenom