Sign in with
Your question

Terrible game performance from a powerful system

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 6, 2010 11:14:32 PM

So I was hoping you guys would be able to help. I have an Alienware M17x and am getting absolutely terrible in game frame rates with it. I had first tested various Source games, and found that regardless of what I did to the settings (force V-sync off, turn in game settings to minimum) I was getting horrible frame rates. So I downloaded 3dMark to try and see if it was something just with source, or a problem in general. I quit 3dMark before it even finished the first test because it couldn't manage to get above 7 FPS.

I have updated all my drivers (197.16 for the graphics card) and updated my BIOS

Here are the specs:

The only thing that stood out to me was that my PCI-E 2.0 appears to only be running @ 8X. Is that enough to cause the problems I am having? How do I fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
(and sorry for my first post being a post begging for help, always been more of a lurker :)  )
May 6, 2010 11:16:35 PM

I see you are running a laptop. Make sure your laptop is on "performance" or "balanced" power settings.
May 6, 2010 11:20:24 PM

rofl_my_waffle said:
I see you are running a laptop. Make sure your laptop is on "performance" or "balanced" power settings.

Power Options is set on "High Performance"
Related resources
May 7, 2010 12:53:01 PM

Anyone else have any ideas? This is really frustrating >_<
May 7, 2010 1:22:06 PM

Well it looks like I somewhat solved my own problem. This laptop runs nvidia hyrbid tech so that when I am running off battery it uses a Geforce 9400M, and when I am on AC it runs off the GTX. Even though I was running off the GTX, and 3DMark was detecting the GTX as the primary card, the 9400M still seemed to be causing problems. I went into BIOS and disabled hybrid, then disabled onboard (the 9400) and everything seems to be running smooth now
!