Dear God please help! ATI RADEON 5970

Lucas182

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Im having major issues with my diamond 5970 that i just installed today.

heres the thing:

my PC freezes after 3 or so minutes into windows EVERY TIME.

this is in 2d mode.

it froze while playing the sims 3 also but im not sure that was in 3d because it did so in the options menu while changing settings (there was no 3d rendering involved).

Im thinking this is a driver issue because whenever i have no driver installed, or when i run windows in safe mode, my card works fine, no crashing, very stable.

Ive tried driver 10.4 and 10.2 (after 10.4.... it came in the cd). none of these solve my problem.

I use Everest to monitor all my GPU settings and when it is in safe mode or there are no drivers installed (stable) my GPU 1 AND 2 Clock reads 725 and memory clock reads 1000. The voltages read 1.05 for both GPUs.

When drivers get installed, the 2d clock get WAY underclocked and the card gets under-volted... which is why it is crashing..im assuming.
I HAVE TRIED THE 2D OVERCLOCKING TRICK IN CCC. i changed the clocks to 725 and 1000. and i tried changing the voltages to 1.05 as well. I did this all in the XML profile file. Something happens though... i dont think CCC loads the profile correctly because the readings arent exactly the same as the Safe Mode (stable) readings. The 2d freezing just keeps happening.

I am typing this from my PC because apparently if i run FURMARK on the background, the card is as stable as a rock.... with the EXACT same config as the Safe Mode config (according to everest) - GPU 1/2: Clock 725, Mem 1000, 1.05 voltage.

What i need (i think) is a way to eliminate this entire STUPID 2d necessity that this stupid high end card has so it never bugs me in 2d ever again. I just dont know how to do this.

My system Specs:
800w PSU
8gigs ddr3 ram, 1600
EVGA 790i FTW
intel core quad 2.83ghz

Here's a copy of what my Radeon CCC profile contains: (THANK YOU IN ADVANCE AND SORRY FOR THE LONG POST)
<Profile>
<Caste name="Graphics">
<Groups>
<Group name="Overdrive5">
<Feature name="TimeUnlocked" />
<Feature name="OverclockEnabled">
<Property name="OverclockEnabledProperty" value="True" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="AutoTuneSupport" />
<Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="72500" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="72500" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="72500" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="100000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="100000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="100000" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="1050" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="1050" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="1050" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="MemoryVoltageTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="0" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="0" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedProtocolProperty" value="RPM" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="CoreClockTarget_1">
<Property name="Want_0" value="72500" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="72500" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="72500" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_1">
<Property name="Want_0" value="100000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="100000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="100000" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_1">
<Property name="Want_0" value="1050" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="1050" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="1050" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="MemoryVoltageTarget_1">
<Property name="Want_0" value="0" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="0" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_1">
<Property name="FanSpeedProtocolProperty" value="Percent" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_1">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_1">
<Property name="Want" value="1488" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_1">
<Property name="Want" value="50" />
</Feature>
</Group>
</Groups>
<Adapter name="PCI_VEN_1002&amp;DEV_689C&amp;SUBSYS_25421002&amp;REV_00_6&amp;390AE305&amp;0&amp;00200010A">
<Aspect name="Overdrive5" />
</Adapter>
</Caste>
</Profile>

I think you may already have found the answer to your question. This seams to come up often with users of the 5xx0 generation. In short you need to either RMA the card or try a diy solution only if there isn't any warranty and that solution is to raise the clocks and voltage of both gpus to that of normal as seen with other copies of that card. Try to raise the clock through either the driver or though riva tuner and your last option is to flash the card mind you that you will be flashing not one but two gpus.

alextheawesome

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Well, you could download MSI afterburner and set a profile for 2D clocks, and then go into the settings and make that profile you made the one it loads when it's idle. And then have the program run at startup.

Lucas182

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
i have downloaded MSI afterburner.
Is there a way to set a 2d profile WHILE in 3d mode? That way when i close 3d it'll automatically kick in?

because every time i try changing settings in MSI while in 2d mode, my pc freezes and i dont have time to change anything.

alextheawesome

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

Yes, just run a GPU stress test (Furmark) which will bring the clocks upto 3D. Then just move the sliders to what you want for 2D on afterburner, but DO NOT ACTUALLY HIT APPLY. Just hit the save button and then change the 2D profile to the one you just saved.

Lucas182

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Okay... here's the problem.

MSI afterburner only sets the MAX clocks. it does not set the MINIMUM clocks.

in this case, according to MSI afterburner, the MIN clock is 175 and the MAX is 725. the same happens with voltage apparently.

i need a way to alter the MIN values to make them equal the MAX values...

any suggestions?

Lucas182

Distinguished
May 6, 2010

i got rivatuner. but the interface is confusing the heck outa me. i dont think it has full support for the 5970 yet because when i click on the drop-down arrow where it lists my display, it doesn't show the usual "video card"-looking icon where you could easily set fan speeds, etc.

the power user tab has the usual information, but it is blank, with no values anywhere. im affraid of messing with it.

heres my issue with MSI:

5970crap.jpg

alextheawesome

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

That's your problem, you have the settings at stock speed. And if it's at stock speed then it doesn't do anything. just bump up the clocks by 1.

Lucas182

Distinguished
May 6, 2010

did that. the minimum values in 2d are still at 157. whenever i go to 2d mode, it just sets the values at 157 again

alextheawesome

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

Hmm, well thats weird. Because everything I'm telling you is working for me. Hopefully someone who knows more about this stuff can help you resolve this issue. Sorry man.

EDIT: and just to give you an idea of what i'm doing, here's an image. http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u326/alex_the_awesome/Untitled-1-1.jpg?t=1273195659

OK get atiflash and get a bios dump from one or both of the gpus.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1123/ATIFlash_3.60.html

Load them into the proper editor and check to see what the default clocks are. If they are low in 2D on the bios you can edit them higher but you will need to know to to properly flash each gpu. I can't help you that much more as I have only flashed/ bios mod nvidia cards. Flashing in a multy gpu system that also has on or more pci-e switches is a learning curve. There will be three ID strings one each for the gpus and the switch on the card. If your board has the n200 that will make 4.

Lucas182

Distinguished
May 6, 2010

yeah... i dont think im gonna do that. thats a little too risky and can void the warranty if done wrong...

ill just have to rma this crap.]

thanks guys

Lucas182

Distinguished
May 6, 2010

my mobo has the latest bios. i updated it a little while ago.

Lucas182

Distinguished
May 6, 2010

My pc freezes even after activating my profile

quinlen

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
Ive been doing alot of work with amd and afterburner. Now just to maybe throw in some already known stuff, I know the 5870 and 5970 cards gpus act like the i7 cpus they will jump in power when needed, min and max should be different unless you want to run your card at its full power all the time and by doing that your gonna ware your card out faster. Im almost positive your having a driver issue. I just instaled my 5870 and am still having issues with the drivers. Note that in safe mode alot of drivers and features are not loaded and used. Somewhere along the line during full mode somethings crossing. To raise you min settings notch the core and the mem up one mhz then hit apply which should force your card to run at that freq only. Ive been unsuccessful for some reason to be able to get into the 2d or 3d options in Amd, you might have better look, and ati tool is out too because for some reason they wont read the 58s

quinlen

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
Same dude, same card, same problem looks like he fixed it.

originally posted by eventhorizon

--- truncated ---

PROBLEM 2: Random crashes. Description: While NOT playing games, ie doing anything in 2D or when the computer would go idle or into screen powersaver mode, the crashes were almost certain. Windows graphical corruptions were also a tell-tale sign of the card being unstable and an impending crash.

My solution: Again after much reading, I came to the conclusion that Windows 64bit was not playing nice with my 5870’s powerplay function. Mainly that the idling 157 clock speed was not enough to keep the card stable when idle. After updating the card’s bios, I could go hours without a crash when playing a game, but then it would crash after I was done, when it sat idle on the desktop.

I came across this solution that forces the card to idle (2D) at a higher clock. I had to set it to a clock speed that Windows 7 would be happy with. (For me this was 400 when idle, and the stock 850 when running games)

Steps:

1. Open CCC

2. Unlock and Enable Overdrive if they aren’t already.

3. Go to Options/Profiles/Profiles Manager. Create a new profile. Under composition make sure “ATI Overdrive” is checked. Save and Close, DO NOT ACTIVATE.

4. In windows go to: C:\Users\{yourusername}\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles (you will need to have “show hidden files” turned on for this)

5. Open the xml document with the name of the profile you just created (notepad is fine)

6. Change the values of the Clock and Memory speeds to look like this (these specific values are what worked for me and my card, use judgment) EDIT ONLY THE BOLD VALUES.

Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0"

Property name="Want_0" value="40000"

Property name="Want_1" value="60000"

Property name="Want_2" value="85000"

Feature

Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0"

Property name="Want_0" value="90000"

Property name="Want_1" value="90000"

Property name="Want_2" value="120000"

7. Save and close. Go back to CCC and activate the profile you just created.

This will make the card idle at 400core, 900memory. (2D clocks are the "Want_0" values)

Quinlen:

Of course unless you want to overclock 3d and all I would only mess with the want_0s, he chose 400 I read where alot of ppl stabled at 300. Good luck, I hope it helps and hopefully you get to enjoy a great new toy.

Lucas182

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
quinlen, i did all those steps you just mentioned. Particularly spent a whole lot of time working on the 2d xml profile file. I tried every possible setting. Changing want 0 to 400 and 900, and even changing that And the gpu voltages in the file to the same as want3 (like you can see on my first post). I even tried upping the clocks 1mhz in afterburner. My 2d clocks are never forced into operating at the new clocks. They simply operate at the minimum clocks instead oF the newly set max.

I actually gave up for a little while and replaced my 5970 with my old geforce 8800 ultra. Stable as a rock (i love nvidia. If only their high end cards didnt suck...). Im meeting with a tech guy on monday morning. We'll try installing the card on a different machine to see how it does. At least that way ill know if ive got a bad card or a faulty setup.

Question: does having ati overdrive unlocked and applied (even without a profile) conflict with msi afterburner settings?

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Flash the bios, you might want to call up Diamond to get their official BIOS.

This is a post from a different person from a different forum who was having problems with the 2D clocks going back to default spec despite overclocking.

Ok here is the BIOs direct from Sapphire.

Dear Sir :
Please download the atiflash tool that only can use under pure dos mode here -

http://www1.sapphiretech.com/global/lib_files/40.zip

Then check the SOP step1 to step7 to make a bootable USB stick that can help to boot into pure dos mode -

http://www1.sapphiretech.com/global/lib_files/103.zip

Please help to update this latest VBIOS here at first - http://www1.sapphiretech.com/global/lib_files/131.zip

After booting into pure dos mode , please type below command after prompt

atiflash -p 0 C0001OCM.AC1 -f

atiflash -p 1 C0001OCS.ACL -f

BTW , flashing the VBIOS from offical side will not void the warranty.

Thanks.

Note: They will be releasing the final Bios soon. They will be sending me them as soon as they come available and I will post them up if anyone needs them.

Simon.

Lucas182

Distinguished
May 6, 2010

im VERY hesitant when it comes to flashing a GPU bios.

Also, the powerpoint presentation that comes in that second link gives a good step by step guide on how to flash the sapphire OC version.

the instructions on there are different from the ones in this post. which makes me worry a bit more. it doesnt have the command prompts, for instance.

i dont know if i should be flashing this card using a sapphire bios... especially when the info i have is for the oc version (dont know if its any different than the regular bios). it could void my warranty and ruin a possible rma... even if i got this card from newegg.com

that made me laugh.
anyone who can get ahold of diamond support should play the lottery. but then again i knew tech support SUCKED but i still got the diamond card because it was the only one in stock...

i wanna exhaust every possibility before even contemplating a bios flash. if there is anything i could do to fix this without flashing, im all ears.

thx