Cleaning up the registry?

After installing and removing a few applications and peripherals, the
registry now has many entries left over from all those poorly implemented
installs/de-installs. This is inconvenient in many ways.

What's the official word on registry cleaners? Are they useful? Are they
risky?

WinXP Prof, SP2, Dell 8300.

Steve.
3 answers Last reply
More about cleaning registry

    In what way is it "inconvenient"? You need to think like a computer, not
    like a person. Your registry doesn't need cleaning. Don't fall for the hype.

    Modem Ani

    "Stephen Anders" <stephenanders@msn.com> wrote in message
    > After installing and removing a few applications and peripherals, the
    > registry now has many entries left over from all those poorly implemented
    > installs/de-installs. This is inconvenient in many ways.
    >
    > What's the official word on registry cleaners? Are they useful? Are they
    > risky?
    >
    > WinXP Prof, SP2, Dell 8300.
    >
    > Steve.

    "Stephen Anders" <stephenanders@msn.com> wrote in message
    > After installing and removing a few applications and peripherals, the
    > registry now has many entries left over from all those poorly implemented
    > installs/de-installs. This is inconvenient in many ways.
    >
    > What's the official word on registry cleaners? Are they useful? Are they
    > risky?
    >
    > WinXP Prof, SP2, Dell 8300.
    >
    > Steve.

    It all depends on your own knowledge and insight into the matter.
    Useful? Yes, given you have good knowledge and don't have the tool execute a
    'just do it' type clean.
    Risky? Yes, same argument as before.

    my opinion

    george.

    Stephen Anders wrote:
    > After installing and removing a few applications and peripherals, the
    > registry now has many entries left over from all those poorly implemented
    > installs/de-installs. This is inconvenient in many ways.
    >
    > What's the official word on registry cleaners? Are they useful? Are they
    > risky?
    >
    > WinXP Prof, SP2, Dell 8300.
    >
    > Steve.

    The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
    the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
    device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
    registry can have severe consequences. One should not even consider
    turning loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is
    fully confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a
    result of each and every change. Having seen the results of
    inexperienced people using automated registry "cleaners," I can only
    advise all but the most experienced computer technicians (and/or
    hobbyists) to avoid them all. Experience has shown me that such tools
    simply are not safe in the hands of the inexperienced user.

    The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
    your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
    experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
    no matter how safe they claim to be.

    Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
    use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
    inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
    no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
    products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
    or stability.

    What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
    all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using an automated registry
    cleaner? If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it
    would be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only
    the specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why
    use a shotgun when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the
    manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely to
    have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make
    multiple changes simultaneously.

    I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
    far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
    encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

Configuration Registry Microsoft Windows XP