HELP! ATI Display Driver causes Realtek not to output sound in W7?

xtian63

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
my motherboard is an MSI 890GXM-G65 AMD® 890GX+SB850

ok ive been using HDMI out to my 23" LEDTV using my onboard HD4290 and allowing audio to be output there, i tried using standard line out cable to the 3.5mm jack speakers to try the Realtek onboard audio but no sound was coming out even if Realtek is set as "Default Device" and you can see the audio meter/grapgh go up and down when playing audio but no sound, i tried speakers and heatsets but sill no luck, tried to system restore to back before everything i installed on Windows 7 but no luck so i decided to try a fresh reinstall, and the 1st thing that comes out is sound from the onboard audio, so i carefully reinstalled drivers and when i got to the catalyst drivers on my MoBo Driver CD the sound so i uninstalled one by one the catalyst drivers only to find out that it was the ATI Display Driver causing the problem so i reinstalled catalyst EXCEPT for the ATI Display Driver and sound was still coming from the onboard audio and upon installing ATI Display Driver sound on the onboard audio disappears again

does anyone know what the heck to do? i want to use my onboard audio but i cant seem to do it with the ATI Diaplay Driver installed and i sure cant use my PC without that, PLEASE HELP!

Solution
I'm not sure this is an ATI issue. I'm inclined to believe this is how HDMI works. HDMI is a video and sound adapter, it may not work any other way.

However, there is possibly one more thing to try. If you right click the sound icon on your taskbar, hit click playback device, you are normally able to choose your Realtek audio, or the speakers it's hooked up to.

xtian63

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
theres no option to turn off HDMI audio, i tried an option to se HD Audio Controller and set it to Disabled and the Realtek HD ausio completely disappeared in windows

xtian63

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
well this is so retarded

turning off ATI HDMI Audio in the Device manager then restarting doesnt work, i still have no onboard audio

but stupid enough if i use a DVI-to-HDMI cable Realtek audio works fine, this means i cant use Realtek audio when using HDMI-HDMI connection

ATI and Realtek are both stupid not thinking of how to disable a conflict and not making HDMI audio switchable when using an HDMI cable to use the onboard Audio

does this mean if Digital Video is running with Digital Audio that there is no way to switch off Digital Audio to use Analog Audio???

I'm not sure this is an ATI issue. I'm inclined to believe this is how HDMI works. HDMI is a video and sound adapter, it may not work any other way.

However, there is possibly one more thing to try. If you right click the sound icon on your taskbar, hit click playback device, you are normally able to choose your Realtek audio, or the speakers it's hooked up to.

Solution

xtian63

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010

i tried this and everything elese i could imagine including an unnecessary Windows 7 reinstall, what i wasnt able to think off prior to a reinstall was using my DVI-HDMI cable

when using in Playback it shows Realtek HDMI Output/ATI HDMI Audio as Unplugged since im using a DV-HDMI connection, and Realtek High Definition audio works fine, but when i use HDMI-HDMI even if ATI HDMI Audio is disabled no sound comes out even if i select Realtek High Def audio and you can clearly see the volume meter go up and down indicating that its working but just no output

anyway ive fixed it but am still baffled as to why they work the way they do