Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What CPU should I upgrade to?

Last response: in CPUs
August 12, 2010 8:33:29 PM

Currently I have a Core 2 Quad Q8200.

My reasons for wanting to upgrade is because my current CPU gets pretty loud when I'm playing modern games.

I want a CPU that is more quiet. Also, the CPU must be 95W or less as I'm using a small 220 watt power supply.

I heard that AMD CPUs ran cooler but dunno if thats true or not.

More about : cpu upgrade

a c 127 à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
August 12, 2010 8:34:57 PM

Um its not your CPU its the fan. In fact it might not even be the CPU fan, it might be the GPU fan.

What are your system specs?

As for the AMD running cooler, they are about on par. Most CPUs idle around 30c and load about 45-55c.
m
l
August 13, 2010 1:38:22 AM

^+1
yeah after all u r using a Quad core.... if paired with good gpu u can play any game fine... i think u need to clean ur cabinet and blow off the dust..... then try running it again...
Good Luck.....
m
l
Related resources
August 13, 2010 2:11:55 AM

jimmysmitty said:
Um its not your CPU its the fan. In fact it might not even be the CPU fan, it might be the GPU fan.

What are your system specs?

As for the AMD running cooler, they are about on par. Most CPUs idle around 30c and load about 45-55c.

The GPU fan doesn't get loud at all. I have this program where I can set the GPU fan speed. At 100% it is probably 1/4th as loud as the CPU fans.

Gateway SX2800
Core 2 Quad Q8200
1 GB DDR3 Radeon 5570
4 GB DDR3 RAM
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
August 13, 2010 2:41:30 AM

Try taking off the the fan and reinstalling it with fresh TIM, is it a buzzing sound though? Try pressing on the top fan with a little bit of force and see if thing get better.
m
l

Best solution

a c 127 à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
August 13, 2010 2:51:55 AM

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-sx2800-01/4505...

That right there is the reason.

Its a small form factor PC that shoves compnents into a small area with no room to breath. That means that your GPU, DVD drive, memory and HDD put more heat into the case which in turn makes your CPU run hotter.

There is just a small amount of room in the front to pull air in, the side allows for air to be pulled in by the CPU fan and the back has some room to let some air out but other than that its just a toaster. It keeps the majority of the heat inside the case so the compnents will run hotter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That would help a bit but still with no real air flow its hard to make it run nice and cool. You really need to stop buying those small form factor machines.

BTW, that PSU you have tends to die really easily due to heat and cost at least $70 bucks.
August 13, 2010 3:32:34 PM

I'll see about getting a quieter CPU fan.

As for why did I get a slim tower PC? It seemed like a good idea at the time. And it hasn't brought me any trouble, except for the loud CPU fans.

Had it for a year now.
m
l
August 13, 2010 3:32:46 PM

Best answer selected by snx.
m
l
August 13, 2010 5:50:32 PM

Your Power Supply Is low for your PSU .. your CPU is good but its slowing down because of PSU ..try to get higher than 450 Watt or 430 Watt ..it will help you so much...or if you want to upgrade AMD is good choice but ... i suggest you to GO FOR INTEL QUAD CORE Q9400 or higher . { but any way for enjoy of gaming I Strongly suggest you to UPGRADE your PSU !!!!!
m
l
!