Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2D/3D/CAD Computer 1500-2500, Help me build it please.

Last response: in Systems
June 13, 2010 3:56:52 AM

Hi everyone, we have a few people at work who do lots of 2d modeling and some 3d modeling. The budget is expansive, but the goal is to build a computer which the extra cost is worth the extra performance in terms of time saved.

So if it takes $3000 to save time(costs us $20 an hour for the next few years) then it is worthwhile, but if the time saved isn't significant then we'd rather go for less expensive.

Thank you very much for the assistance.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1 Week - 4 Weeks. Budget $1500-$2500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Autocad, and other design software like Giza, (2d modellng mostly), will also be used as a general work computer.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Don't need speakers, keyboard, mouse, monitor.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) NCIX preferably, or Canada Computers, from Canada. If American companies are used i'm sure i can find an equivalent in Canada.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No Preference, only best performance for the money.

OVERCLOCKING: Preferably not, but if it's worth it then yes. SLI and Crossfire are ok.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Unsure, different monitors for different people, but willing to buy better ones for them.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Is there a reason i would want a Quadro FX card over a regular one (or the ATI equivalent)? Thank you very very very much for the help! I don't know anything about computers for design, it is greatly appreciated.
June 14, 2010 1:04:54 PM

bump, thanks for the help!
m
l

Best solution

June 14, 2010 3:59:08 PM

I'm going to give you newegg parts which should be similarly priced on ncix. I'd also look at amazon.

MOBO - ASUS P6X58D-E

CPU - Intel i7-930

RAM - 1 or 2 kits of G.SKILL PI Series

PSU - depending on the video card you select I'd go for one between 650 and 850 watts preferably by corsair, xfx, or seasonic. Corsair HX 750

GPU - you probably should stick with the consumer nvidia cards as I've noticed very little difference in autocad when using a quadro card. Maybe a little bit crisper lines with the quadros. When modeling in 3ds Max, my nvidia gtx 470 runs smoother and faster than the quadro workstation I use at work. I'm not familiar with Giza though. Might want to research what its users say. Anyways, you could probably get by with a cheaper GTX 260. But this all depends on what resolution your monitor(s) will be running at. A 23" LCD at 1920 x 1080 resolution will need more horsepower.

Aftermarket HSF - Cooler Master Hyper 212+

CASE - Antec 300 or Lancool K62 or Lian Li PC-7FN or anything that you like as long as it cools ok and fits your gpu.

June 15, 2010 5:28:56 PM

Best answer selected by lakesarecool.
m
l
!